The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 11, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1
tacticalj

PASG helmet padding

Anybody use any? If so what kind/brand. I wore mine the other day and after about 20 minutes, it was killing my head! There may be times where we would have to wear them for hours, so I need to resolve the problem. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Thanks guys
Old November 11, 2010, 11:16 PM   #2
KChen986

Purchase the Skydex pad kit. It's about $112 or so. Well worth the upgrade. The PASGT is not a very comfortable helmet. The ACH/MICH with Oregon Aero or Skydex pads is much better.

Issue ACH padding is pretty poor too. Issue ACHs used to use Oregon Aero pads, but seems like the Army later went with some MSA brand pads, which feel like styrofoam, and tend to hurt my head after while.

USCav and other outlets sell the Skydex upgrade kit for PASGTs. Google it. :thumbsup:
Old November 11, 2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Beowulf5505

I bought the skydex pads for my ACH and they were great. dont have them anymore, need to get another set
Old November 12, 2010, 08:56 AM   #4
booker_t

It may behoove you to contact PEO Soldier regarding what's available, and any recommendations they have based on extensive equipment testing including ballistic/blunt impact and blast trials to determine the most safe, effective, and comfortable helmet suspension systems to meet your operational requirements. I've worked with them before and they are good folks; Warfighter- and mission-focused. Their HQ is in Ft. Belvoir, VA. I wouldn't be surprised to find some helpful user discussions and recommendations on AKO as well.

https://peosoldier.army.mil/

Overview:
http://www.afceabelvoir.org/userdocu...r_Briefing.pdf

LiveBlog:
http://peosoldier.armylive.dodlive.mil/
Old November 12, 2010, 09:12 AM   #5
MTT TL

Can't say I am very sympathetic. It is still miles ahead of the old Kevlar with the nylon strands and strap with a piece of metal stuck in it. Damn that thing hurt from the moment you put it on till you took it off.
Old November 12, 2010, 12:45 PM   #6
tacticalj

Cool, thanks guys. We use these on our tac team and like I said, lots of it is just the fact that I probably don't wear it enough to get used to it. It has the od green band and chin strap setup. I'm just pretty sure there is something that a guy can put in there to ease the suffering for alittle while anyways.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Beowulf5505

changing out the chin straps helps too, there were a couple of different aftermarket ones available at some of the stores outside fort benning.

unfortunately you really needed to try them out, not just order them blind. one that worked great for one person did not always work for everyone.

if you placing a group order you might be able to get some manufacturers to send you samples so you can try out some different variations, worth a shot anyway.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:10 PM   #8
tacticalj

That is a good idea Beo. I'm sure that once I do it, then the other guys are gonna be wanting to upgrade. It's kind of the norm for us, as one guy see's it and then another and so forth until we all upgrade. Might have to hit the cheif up about it.