The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old September 20, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1
jer_t

Looking to get an AR15. Suggestions?

I am in the market to get an AR-15. With so much information out there, it is difficult to get a grasp of what I need to get in an AR-15 for what I want to do with it. So any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for an AR-15 in .223 that can accept a 300 AAC blackout barrel. I've read that it is possible. Has anyone done this? How do you like it? I want a 300 AAC blackout for a couple of reasons: 1) I want to use it for deer/elk hunting and 2) I want to be able to take spent cartridges from shooting .223 and reload them for 300 AAC (which I know can be done by trimming down the neck of the casing). The reason that I don't go straight to 300 AAC is simply my budget. I'm looking for something in the price range of $1000 or less. I just want to make sure that I get something that I can add to later, when the funds are available.

Companies that I keep hearing about: RRA, Armalite, DPMS. Which one would have a good platform for hunting? What should I look for in a AR hunting rifle?

Thanks!

Last edited by jer_t; September 20, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old September 20, 2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Try the Semi-Auto forum, please.
Closed Thread

Tags
.223 , ar15 , hunting