The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 14, 2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Skans

My own private gun-show....

I will admit, I too have been tempted to buy another AR, AK, or other semi-auto rifle that shoots 5.56, 7.62x39 or .308 because of the gun-ban hype. Or, some magazines, or even some ammo. And, I did end up buying a handgun that I've wanted for quite some time - Sig X-Five Competition model in 9mm. But, do I really need another???

The question I had to ask myself was: By buying another rifle (or handgun) now, at this time, am I really filling some need or even desire for something I may not be able to get in the future? Or, am I turning into a Hoarder.

So, this is what I did. I took every gun out of my safe (and carry guns I have stashed around the house) and laid them out (won't fit on a table) in a room. Then I took all of the magazines out of several boxes and ammo cans (too many to get them all in the safe) so that I could visually see what I have. Next, I consolidated all of my ammunition in another area of the room.

I had so much fun doing this - it was much better than the somewhat lame gun shows I've been going to recently. I discovered that I had about three times the amount of ammunition I thought I had. I have a nice collection of "over-sized" magazines and drums, as well as good quality magazines. I already have two 7.62x51 (308) rifles I never shoot and several 5.56 rifles I never shoot, and a bunch of other safe queens as well.

Well, this quenched my desire to run out and buy more tacticool stuff at inflated prices (I might make fun of tacticool "assault" rifles, but I still like them!). I earmarked one gun and a barreled upper receiver that I might use in a trade, and other than that, I discovered that I'm quite satisfied with what I have.

This is just a suggestion to anyone who finds themselves getting caught up in the need to spend $$$$$ on inflated military style guns right now - do what I did, lay all of your gun out in an area where you can see and appreciate all of them. If you are really missing a pistol or rifle in a particular caliber and configuration that could be banned, then this might prompt you to buy it. But, if you are like me, you might just realize that you really have accumulated quite an amount of cool stuff and maybe don't need to spend any more money right now.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:38 AM   #2
jason_iowa

Good method. I have enough stuff to arm the neighborhood and I'm not worried that they will pass anything harmful. Universal background checks maybe.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:25 PM   #3
raisitup

Ha! This sounds like a great cost-cutting method

Ryan
Old January 14, 2013, 07:49 PM   #4
HK_Flo

Would be better with pics... Just sayin'
Old January 14, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
5.56RifleGuy

I just went through all my gun stuff and organized it. Made me realize I probably have enough for now. I did buy some stuff recently, but I did not overpay for anything. 150 G3 mags. Hmmm. How did that happen?
Old January 14, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Moby

The one thing the CT shooting did make me buy was a new gun safe.
I do not have one and don't want to be "THAT" gun owner who's guns were stollen and used for something bad.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 14, 2013, 08:16 PM   #7
sigcurious

Unfortunately, my collection is still at the stage where walking into my closet and opening my safe puts everything I own into plain view. I'm still hankering but I figure now might be the time to scratch the itch with a SA revolver or two until things cool down.

I can't wait until my collection is big enough to not be exactly sure of what's in it
Old January 15, 2013, 12:31 AM   #8
DaleA

Quote:
Would be better with pics... Just sayin'
+1

Really! What a photo op!

If you didn't want to post it here I would certainly understand but you should have taken one just for your own amusement.

You could also flash it at Public Radio/TV 'journalists' and make them go weak in the knees or give them a case of the vapors! (I'm starting to like that phrase.)
Old January 15, 2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Skans

I was so busy organizing my gun stuff, I completely forgot about pictures - If I had thought about it, I would have snapped a few.