The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 12, 2010, 12:23 AM   #1
machrism

Leupold vs. Night Force

I have a .300 Win Mag that I want to use for long distance shooting. Going for 900 - 1000 meters. Unless any of you think I am pushing my luck with that distance. My cheapy scope that came with it recently broke so it's time for a new one and really like the Leupold customs. I have been thinking of buying and or building my own bullets to find the best accuracy. Would a custom Leupold built to a specific bullet with about 22x zoom and 50 - 56MM lense be better than a NF with amplification about the same? Looks like the Leupold will cost about the same for the NF as well. I know they are both excellent scopes but want the best. I am wanting to use this for hunting as well and with good shot placement. About how far could I reliable take down a deer in favorable conditions with a bullet close to 200gr. Any answers to anything are greatly appreciated and am open to alternatives.
Old October 15, 2010, 03:20 AM   #2
skeeter

From what is used in the major 50 cal long range matches the Night Force is the scope more often used than any other and for the reason it is more rigid and better glass. See what is said on the forums at www.swfa.com, or www.barrettrifles.com.
Old October 22, 2010, 11:21 PM   #3
bglimpse

Leupold is good, Nightforce is better...much better IMO.
Old October 22, 2010, 11:57 PM   #4
TheGoldenState

What are you looking to spend?

I have this on my R700 LTR .308
Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal

Picked up a 300 WinMag off a buddy in distress not too long ago…..sitting remain unshot still
Old October 23, 2010, 01:49 AM   #5
machrism

I have been looking at something along the lines of this. Plenty of magnification which is something I need but think having a 56mm lense is just too big. I looked at the Leupold you have. It's pretty close to this one. Does this scope seem like too much overkill for what I am looking to do? As a 1,000 metter target rifle.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightfor...iflescope.html
Old October 23, 2010, 10:34 AM   #6
TheGoldenState

That is pretty close to mine, and no its not overkill, imo. Not much is overkill when your making 1/2 mile shots and beyond! Youd be good to go with that one, or similar!
Old October 23, 2010, 02:07 PM   #7
1911rocks

Leupold vs Nightforce

Nightforce hands down. Unless you can muster the greenbacks for a Schmidt-Bender
Old October 23, 2010, 03:06 PM   #8
machrism

I haven't looked at the Schmidt-Bender but am pretty much sold on that NF. I've never heard nothing but great things about them. Late to ask this as well but what is everyones opinions on BDC's in scopes. I read that they do help but aren't always worth the expense. I think I could eventualy do just as good without one as long as I keep a record book and the right optics glass. Like an NP-R2 reticleThanks for all the input. Now I just need to start saving 1,600 dollars somehow.
Old October 24, 2010, 11:12 AM   #9
t45

I have a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR and like it a lot but the Night Force (to me) is a better scope. You will pay for the betterment though.
Old October 25, 2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Fusion

When I saw this thread, the first thing that came to my mind is, is this guy serious? The Night Force is the clear winner and not by a small margin.
Old October 25, 2010, 12:56 PM   #11
1911rocks

Schimdt-Bender

Schmidt-Bender http://www.cherokeegunclub.org/param...okEfficacy.pdf

Nightforce http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightfor...h-np-reti.html

US Optics http://www.opticsplanet.net/us-optic...s-3-knobs.html
Old October 25, 2010, 01:08 PM   #12
machrism

Fusion. I'm new to optics. Didn't know who or what is better. I had my ideas but wasn't sure and that's why I made this thread. For good input which frankly. Think I have been getting.

1911rocks. Thanks for those links. I will look at them now and compare the difference. I can't wait to get home from deployment and go shooting!
Old October 25, 2010, 01:26 PM   #13
machrism

1911rocks. I book marked those last two links. That US Optics is crazy. Never heard of them before and with the NF. I was really contemplating on getting the 50 or 56MM lense. Question though. That first link went to a story of someone who shot himself in the hand. Good pic's. I liked it but is that the one you wanted to send? Almost thinking I need either a better bolt action or Barrett 98B to keep up with the optics I'm going to get.
Old October 25, 2010, 04:31 PM   #14
1911rocks

Machrism Pardon me

http://www.opticsplanet.net/schmidt-...flescopes.html
Old October 25, 2010, 09:31 PM   #15
IXLR8

Bushnell Tactical FFP 6x24-50 mil dot is awesome

I like it so much I may buy another. .1mil adjustments. The new best scope under a $1000.00. From Dirt Cheap, but I got mine from optics planet. Be careful, there are many similar models, but the FFP 4200 rocks. May I also suggest the A.R.M.S lever mount rings, a perfect re-zero each time.

Bushnell 4200 FFP Tactical 6-24x50

More info

Range Test
The scope was placed in a set of Warne Tactical rings and attached to my MGSS (Mike’s Gun Sales and Service) DMR-10. This rifle has proven consistent so far with a couple of other optics, so it was a fair test bed. If a scope is going on a rifle that saves lives it must be rugged, reliable and consistent without regard to price, brand name or design. Working scopes get used as often as once a week and it must be repeatable. Their precision is less an issue to me so long as they do the same thing every time. Testing started with turning the knobs from one extreme to the other, everyday for an entire week. It could be as simple as a couple times, or in one case it occurred over about a 30 minute time period watching television. The scope was mounted and then zeroed.

There is no elevation in the base or rings on this rifle so it zeroed pretty close to the top of the turrets range. Once zeroed at 100 yards there was 4.5 mils of remaining elevation. That equates to about 15.5-MOA up from zero. That gets you to about 500 yards but most use at least a 20-MOA base, which would get you as far as needed with a typical .308 for sure.

Once zeroed it held consistently over a three-day testing period. In between range days the knob turning continued and the cold bore was always within a 0.50 of an inch or so, meaning any deviation could just as easily be the rifle or me. This scope seems to hold its zero even after a ton of knob turning. These knobs are easy to adjust and solid when adjusted.

The reticle was easy to see and the dots are still clearly visible at 6-power. Having used scopes at about three times the cost where it disappears at that magnification this was a nice thing to see. There are no issues ranging at any power with this reticle and at 24-power the targets are about poke your eye out. Ranging known targets out to 500, yards it was consistent and as accurate as this shooter can be with a dotted reticle. As a police marksman ranging targets at 500 yards is mostly an academic exercise so it is not a personal expertise but this system is as accurate as all but the most precise scopes.

In order to confirm the consistency of the knobs, several box drills were performed. Boxes of various sizes were performed over and over again with solid consistency. A one-mil change in elevation or windage resulted in about 3.50 inches at 100 yards given the consistency of the rifle and the guy behind it. In one case this drill was performed over two full magazines around the box and it was about as consistent as I can get it.

Last edited by IXLR8; October 25, 2010 at 09:45 PM.