The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 10, 2009, 03:42 PM   #1
C&BGuy

Brass frame 1851...

So yesterday i ordered a brass frame 1851 .44 cal from cabelas since there going for pretty cheap...($129)
And I thought it would be a good introduction into shooting bp revolvers for me. What would be a good load to make the gun last awhile and keep the frame from streching? What am i going to need besides a flask, caps, measure, powder, balls, wads...?
Thanks
Old July 10, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Deadguy

20 to 25 grains of BP or substitute and a round ball, with wad or grease will do!
Old July 10, 2009, 06:00 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Click on

the link for the mother of all threads related to blackpowder revolvers. You find it right Here
Old July 10, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

What 4V50Gary said
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 11, 2009, 08:05 AM   #5
CaptainCrossman

Quote:
So yesterday i ordered a brass frame 1851 .44 cal from cabelas since there going for pretty cheap...($129)
And I thought it would be a good introduction into shooting bp revolvers for me. What would be a good load to make the gun last awhile and keep the frame from streching? What am i going to need besides a flask, caps, measure, powder, balls, wads...?
Thanks

only $129 now ? gee I wonder why..

if serious shooting it intended, any brass frame gun should first have the arbor pinned into the frame vertically or horizontally at a 90 degree angle to the threads. The old Replica Arms brass guns were pinned vertically right from the factory, directly under the hammer straight down, during the 1950-60's, I have one of the old frames and inspected it. The arbor is still tight 42 years later- it's stamped XXIII making it a 1967 model. The vertical pin greatly strengthens the frame/arbor and gun. Doing so , then you can shoot full loads of powder from it, and not have to "load it down" to 10-15 grains. Nothing is more boring, than shooting little squib loads from a bp cb revolver. You want it to speak with authority.

one problem with the brass frames is, it will still peen the recoil shield with the cylinder eventually, regardless of how you load it. The factory loadings from the 1800's were 20 grains powder for 36 cal., and 27 grains powder for 44 cal, both w/round balls

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; July 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:06 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

C&BGuy, I would not be concerned about that brasser bashers and their claims of doom and failure. Your Pitta should have double horizontal pins on the arbor.

Colt specifications for the open top .44 steel frame are 25 to 30 grs of FFFg with 25 recommended. Reducing your load to the 18-20gr well insure a long life for the brass frame. Keep an eye on the barrel gap. If you get excessive gap, that movement well increase the possibility of peening the recoil shield. My Pietta .44 brasser came out of the box with a tight barrel gap and the arbor was only .010 short.
Old July 12, 2009, 11:48 AM   #7
CaptainCrossman

pin and plate, and shoot away- the only way to fly with a brasser
Old July 12, 2009, 01:48 PM   #8
C&BGuy

Yeah im going to keeps the loads between 18-24 grains and im sure she'll be fine. I can't wait till it comes in though I've already made up a batch of grease cookies. 50/50 mix with beeswax and crisco with a big dollop of olive oil.