The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 8, 2009, 01:05 AM   #1
dajowi

Class III sale

I'm considering selling a MAC-10 to a CIII dealer. Is my assumption correct that such a sale is no different than any other product? Filling out some paperwork and collecting the money at the time of sale? Also is it true that a Military Armaments Corporation made suppressor is basically of no value once it's been used? That's what I've been told.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:17 AM   #2
David Hineline

It will transfer to the dealer on tax paid form 4, once the forms clear the ATF about 10wks or more, then the dealer can take possesion of the gun.

It's not worthless because it has been used, your silencer is worthless because it is outdated. No one is going to pay a good price for your outdated silencer, and pay the tax on it, when they can pay a good price for a new silencer and the same tax.

Your MAC originally sold for about $75, the only reason it is worth selling is becasuse of the ban.
Old February 8, 2009, 07:29 PM   #3
dajowi

I sort of figured that the sale and payment could take place in one day since I would be selling to a Class III dealer. I had considered selling the gun sometime back but it seemed to be a big hassle. It seemed likely that I'd take a bath in sale. Now I find out that the suppressor I pad about $450 plus the $200 tax stamp isn't worth anything. It seems that the "bath" just got bigger. If someone had told me that it was going to be as hard to sell it, as it was to buy it I might have reconsidered the purchase.
Old February 8, 2009, 11:29 PM   #4
VUPDblue

Why? Someone 'sold' it to you. Why would you think that you selling it to someone else would be any different?
Old February 8, 2009, 11:43 PM   #5
David Hineline

The gun is worth 3-4000 dollars so unless you paid more than that you are not taking a bath.