The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 28, 2005, 12:52 AM   #1
DimitriS

Whitworth Rifle

Well I have been thinking about getting a BP rifle and after alot of thought and consideration I decided to get a Whitworth from Euroarms/NavyArms.

I was wondering if any of you know anything about this make and how good it will be if I was to use it for hunting lets say ??

My dad and my brother want to get BP rifles for deer next fall so I was looking for a good one to get thats classic and is still pretty good. (I dont like the new modern BP rifles one bit so if you think these arnt good tell me what rifle that is traditional is better! )

Now reading about the Whitworth accuracy makes me wonder about todays guns sometimes with groupings said to be in "3 to 5 inchs at 500 yards" Thats Sub-MOA!!!!

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old November 28, 2005, 04:59 PM   #2
skeetabop

If you get the Whitworth, please post what you think of the gun. I was in the same spot as you last year at this time. My dilemna was between the Whitworth and the 2 band 1858 Enfield. Both will shoot great distance,but I wanted the power, so I went with the 58 cal. Euroarms 1858 Enfield. I wasn't disapointed. It's a great gun to plink and hunt with. The first shot I took at a deer was 150 yards and shot it right thru the heart. I turned my fellow hunters into Enfield beleivers after that.
Both guns have a solid military history and the Whitworth was preferred by the southern sharpshooters. Good luck and post your impressions.
Old November 28, 2005, 06:16 PM   #3
DimitriS

Thanks for the reply!

Well I want to get a black powder rifle with some nice history on it. After all whats the point of getting a old traditional BP rifle without it having history ??

Well when I probrobly get it in the spring I will post about it.

So anyone else know anything about it ??

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old November 29, 2005, 11:07 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

If you use the search function ner the top of the page, there are several Whitworth threads to peruse. Too many to list here and too lazy to list them.
Old November 29, 2005, 01:43 PM   #5
DimitriS

Fal,

d'OH! I forgot about that

Thanks for the wake up call

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083