The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 29, 2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Prof Young

Red Dot scope for under $100

Shooters:
I have an old 22 bolt action, I think it's Stevens. Anyway due to where the bolt is and how high it goes up I can't put a regular scope on it. there just isn't room. I've thought about a long eye relief scope that might be hard to get it adjusted right so I'm thinking of a red dot. Any advice on what is the best buy for $100 bucks or less would be appreciated.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 30, 2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Kalgalath

I'm looking for the same thing, but I'm getting mixed reviews. What I've been reading up on, Tasco makes a decent one for those on a budget.

My issue is, that I'll be mounting one on a high power for revolver, and keeping zero might be a problem.

I think the Tasco red dot sight would be good for someone with a low recoil weapon.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
bird_dog

I have Millett red dots on both my Super Redhawk 44 mag, and my Taurus Tracker 22. About 90 bucks. Heavy recoil on the Redhawk with 300gr loads.

No issues. Good scope.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Pahoo

Many choices for under $100.00

One of the first makers of RedDots, was Tasco. In fact, the very first one I ever saw, came in a 1" tube. My first mount was a ProPoint-I, that I mounted on a 12Ga. slug gun. Both took many deer and even more shots, without any issues. The only one being that the light filter would rotate but the dot still held on point. I also have a ProPoiunt-II on a .44mag revolver and again, no issues. Since then, I have accumulated quite a variety of dots and they too have provided super performance. There are so many choices out there and let me suggest an UltraDot. .....

I sometimes wonder if most of these come out of the same asian shop and they just stick a name on them, based on the selling price. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 30, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
chris in va

I have the Millett 1" dot.

The lenses were misaligned, giving a double image. I sent it back and the new one was better. However there are four tiny screws inside the battery housing that worked loose, making the rheostat wobbly and eventually made it INOP. I took it apart and loctited them and has worked so far.

I can't recommend it. Just too many issues.

I'd have to second the UltraDot recommendation.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Kalgalath

I was looking at the Millett today as Bird Dog suggested and it looks like something that I could be interested in after a bit more research (Thanks Bird Dog).

I'm on their website now but am having some problems discerning which one I might prefer. Thought since we were on the subject someone could help clarify a few things.

The SP1 compact has a 1" tube and a 3Min Dot but the SP2 compact has a 30mm tube with a 5Min Dot.

Am I correct in that the 1" scope is smaller than the 30mm, and the 1" will allow for a larger or wider field of view than that of the 30mm, while looking at the same target at the same distance?

And, am I correct that a 3Min dot is smaller than a 5Min dot?

Wouldn't that make the SP 1 obviously better?

Edit: the Ultradot looks nice, but it's not under 100 bucks

Last edited by Kalgalath; January 30, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Pahoo

I think I understand ???

Quote:
Am I correct in that the 1" scope is smaller than the 30mm, and the 1" will allow for a larger or wider field of view than that of the 30mm, while looking at the same target at the same distance?
No and don't think so. ....

The 1" or 30MM is only refering to the tube diameter and not the field you see inside as it will be smaller. Have not looked through a 1" for a long time but suspect, the same is true. You don't have any magnification on either so the field you get from a 1", should be smaller than the 30mm. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 31, 2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

I would like one that mounts to Ruger rings for my Redhawk.