The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 16, 2012, 09:26 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

AR-15: If You Had One Choice?

I was going to purchase a S&W M&P-15 Sport model... As we all know (hopefully), Obama has intentions of reviving the assault weapons ban. I live in NY, a state where it is still active. The thing is, we all know about Barack Obama's "hatred" of these (deadly assault rifles). I don't want to get too political, as I believe it is against forum rules... What if Obama were to not just go for a ban, but a ban against actual weapon systems, such as the AR/AK platforms and the like?

If I were to go to my local shop, and order a solid, well built, reliable, basically no corners cut AR-15, what would I buy? Something that is a step up of the already solid M&P-15 Sport, but not as fancy/expensive as one of those piston driven rifles. MSRP, preferably about $900-1100, but hopefully no more.

Of course, this means it would have to have a NY compliant model, and I know Smith and Wesson has several models that are both NY ban (eastern states) along with California compliant models.

The M&P15FT http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

There's also an "optics ready" model, but I'd probably lean more towards the above. You've already got nice rails and less to do to the gun out of the box. Also, those magpul sights seem pretty damn solid. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

I know the RT is above my price range, but out the door, it shouldnt be too bad. Before, I kinda leaned away from rails, I wanted to stick to a standard grip (not sure on terminology) but now, I guess you could say I'm getting paranoid and it's better to get a railed gun now, then want one later and have it be hard to get... What are some other brands/rifles that are NY compliant and similar to the above as far as quality and price? Thanks.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Keepin_Jeepin

If you can get a CMMG or spikes tactical, that is the rifle to get.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
GunXpatriot

Ah, right, I hear extremely good things about spikes... Now that I looked, I didnt realize they had options for pinned stocks, etc for compliance. Spikes has been added to options list!
Old November 16, 2012, 10:40 PM   #4
MB21

Check out Windham Weaponry. MSRP is $1040, I got mine for $770. Great rifle, been told from reliable sources that it is near identical to a more expensive Colt.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm quite content with my Colt A2 20" critter, and with the CMMG upper I set up for varmint hunting/truck gun.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:25 PM   #6
RamItOne

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunXpatriot
As we all know (hopefully), Obama has intentions of reviving the assault weapons ban
I bought one from a company in S fla, getting close to 5k rounds, no issues. Rifle was around a grand. Well worth it. Feed it some brass but mostly russian steel and never one FTAnything

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old November 17, 2012, 01:05 AM   #7
Quentin2

Needing a compliant AR ruins your whole thread title. I know what I'd get in my state, what I got actually, but can't comment on a NY compliant model other than to say be 100% sure it's legal. For that reason you might be best to buy something off the shelf in a LGS not online.

A NY compliant S&W should be a good choice
Old November 17, 2012, 09:27 AM   #8
wnycollector

As a fellow NY'er with a half dozen AR-15's, I have found it's easiest to get the AR you want is to purchase your upper and lower separately. I also find I have saved hundreds of dollars by purchasing online and having my lowers shipped to a local FFL.

Since uppers can be shipped directly to your home, you have the ability to make your upper AWB compliant relatively easily by grinding the bayonet lug off and pinning on a brake. If you buy a lower with a fixed A2 stock, there is no need to do any work on the lower.

Here is an NY compliant lower that will not break the bank. I would also recommend checking out PK Firearms Palmetto and BCM since they have excellent quality uppers to go with your lower.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:46 AM   #9
BillyJack3

I don't think you can go wrong with either a Spike's, S&W or PSA. Spike's uses M16 BCGs and you can get a FN CHF barrel. Both mine are great shooters.

My Spike's (Florida Lower)

My M&P OR (Modified with Low Pro gas block and Samson Evo Rail)

Old November 17, 2012, 11:57 AM   #10
djcantr

BCM. You won't be disappointed.