The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 1, 2006, 06:22 PM   #26
Pointer

Quote:
The 270 shoots fast and flat, has plenty of power for any North American game
Are we in the "presence" of an incredibly courageous Grizzly/Polar Bear hunter?

or is someone just shooting off...

his hip??????????????

30-06 FOREVER
Old April 1, 2006, 06:30 PM   #27
jhgreasemonkey

Man I dont think I'd want to use it for any and all North American game but for deer its great. Very popular caliber for hunting Wa. Of course we dont have polar bears and poison monkeys.
Old April 1, 2006, 11:22 PM   #28
guntotin_fool

For whitetail. Go to gander or Dicks or whatever bigbox (even wally world) and buy a box of Winchester, a box of Remington and a box of Federal plain jane ammo I would buy 130 grain, but you can try 150's too. now go find a place and take an after noon and shoot it. carefully, taking 15 minutes between 3 or 5 shot groups. For a hunting gun a 3 shot group is going togive you a better idea what the rifle will do from a cold barrel. Chances are one of the loads will shoot a good deal better in your gun. Go back and buy a couple more boxes of that ammo and you are set.

A 270 is not a marginal caliber for deer and it does not need the help of the triple delux bullet. If you are worried about bullet construction, buy the Federal load with the Nosler Partition. It will NOT fail. period.

Shoot the rifle enough to be comfortable with it. Shoot 6 to 8 boxes of ammo before season and if you are able to see a deer, you will eat venison for Thanksgiving.
Old April 2, 2006, 12:39 AM   #29
Pointer

Quote:
Of course we dont have polar bears and poison monkeys.
LOL

30-06 FOREVER
Old April 6, 2006, 07:20 AM   #30
Holman

Good choice on rifle and scope. If you do your part the venison is on the table and in the freezer.

Holman
Old April 6, 2006, 08:50 AM   #31
Jack O'Conner

I've seen many animals get clobbered by a wide diversement of cartridges and rifles. 270 is very popular with out-of-state deer and antelope hunters. For long shots out on the open prairie, the 130 grain bullet is tough to beat. Many companies now load a 140 grain bullet that is also quite lethal. 150 grain bullet is still fast and accurate but not as popular, I'm not sure why.
Jack
Old April 11, 2006, 12:28 AM   #32
cje1980

For deer, the 130gr. loads work very well. For larger game like elk you want to use at least a 150gr. load. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Nosler Partition for all game that I use a 270 for as it is extremely accurate and has dropped every animal I've hit with my Rem 700. I really love Federal's Nosler Partition loads for 25-06 and 270Win. Its hard to beat. Pricey but very good ammo.