The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 29, 1999, 04:47 PM   #1
PKAY

I have a Colt Python which has a spring loaded extractor hand activated just like other similar revolvers from S&W or Ruger. Unlike S&W, however, the extractor unscrews counter clockwise. I currently use a Wessinger extractor wrench (Brownell's Catalog) for my S&W revolvers, and it works wonderfully well. The Wessinger can't be used on the Colt because the diameter of the extractor is too small, so one is left with parallel pliers and a piece of leather to unscrew it. My problem is that the extractor appears "frozen." I even made a shim for the Wessinger designed for S&W that would fit the Colt, and it still won't come loose. I don't want to break the dang thing! Any suggestions?

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY
Old July 29, 1999, 06:55 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

#080-557-000 Brownells Colt Wrench $17.28

www.brownells.com

It is a combination tool that serves as a 1911/Officers ACP bushing wrench as well as a ratchet/ejector rod wrench for both large frame and small frame Colt revolvers. You probably missed it because it is listed with the 1911 bushing wrenches and not the revolver tools.
Old July 29, 1999, 06:56 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Pkay, I would try a little head on the rod itself. There may be some kind of locktite on the threads. With tough ejector rods I will sometimes hold the rod itself in a padded vise, insert two dowel rods about halfway into opposing chambers (empty shell casings will work), put another dowel or screwdriver or whatever between the two to act as a T-handle and turn. George
Old July 30, 1999, 11:51 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi Guys,

Before something gets broken, are we all on the same sheet of music? A Smith & Wesson extractor is removed by unscrewing the extractor rod at the front. The old type has right hand thread, the new type left hand.

But the Colt Python is the old Colt action. Its extractor (Colt calls it a ratchet) is removed by first removing the cylinder from the gun, then unscrewing the extractor from the ejector rod at the rear. This is done by pushing the extractor out, then grasping the ejector rod with padded pliers and with another set of padded pliers in the cartridge slots, unscrewing the extractor star counterclockwise. This needs to be done carefully since the extractor star is staked to the rod and the rod is kept in position by channels in the cylinder itself.

Then, once the extractor star is removed, the crane bushing is removed with needle nose pliers or (much better) a tool bought or made for the job. This allows removal of the ejector rod and spring.

NOTE: Removing the ratchet of the old type Colt revolver should NOT be done unless absolutely necessary (e.g., replacement, rebluing of gun). Improperly done it can ruin the cylinder.

Jim
Old July 30, 1999, 06:32 PM   #5
PKAY

Thank you, gentlemen, for your sage advice. I think I shall try the tool from Brownell's first and see how it goes. In any event, I shall also let you know the results.