The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 29, 2012, 07:51 PM   #51
farmerboy

Wish you luck. See we on Firing Line can help anyone! We can help people choose guns, ammo, council marriages, help legal disputes, we can probably even fix Global Warming and everything else. Need advice? Just post it on here and there's many eager to help. LOL. Seriously, just curious. How long y'all been married - to the OP if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited by farmerboy; August 29, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:29 AM   #52
1hogfan83

5 Loooooooooong years. Lol its been good though. I just go with the flow. This is my 2nd marriage, just a piece of advice, don't ever bring up your first wife in a fight. I found that out the hard way. She's a good one though. She puts up with me and that's sayin a lot. And as for marriage advice, yall aren't to shabby. She'll come home one day and I'll be packing a 629 in shoulder holster, that'll teach her.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old August 30, 2012, 08:32 AM   #53
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfan83
. . . . just a piece of advice, don't ever bring up your first wife in a fight. I found that out the hard way. . . .
Ouch!

I guess it's probably better that you brought up the first wife in a fight than in the bedroom, though . . .
Old August 30, 2012, 08:48 AM   #54
farmerboy

yep them women have memories like a elephant. i hear about a woman from the past When you get in the doghouse thats just more the reason to grab a gun and a couple boxes ammo and go shooting.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:55 AM   #55
Stressfire

Quote:
She is afraid that the mere mention of the word "gun" will ruin her teaching future.
Why would she have any need to mention it? No need to tell anyone at all that she or you has a CHL. If you were an open carry activist, I could see the need to be concerned, but she really needn't worry so much.

I work with the public and lots of kids in my job. I also talk guns with some patrons "in the know" about my guilty little weekend pleasures As it's a small town, I know the residents all talk to each other. But if you are not creepy and do not carry yourself as a future serial killer, no one is likely to be overly concerned.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:05 AM   #56
jimbob86

Quote:
Why would she have any need to mention it?
Some people can't help being a "Chatty Cathy"......
Old August 30, 2012, 09:10 AM   #57
Hiker 1

1hogfan83, just curious, how did she handle the subject when you were dating?
Old August 30, 2012, 12:05 PM   #58
Pointshoot

Personally, I wouldn't allow another to interfere with my capacity to defend myself in a lethal situation.

But there have been times when this subject has been brought up by women (family, friends, and those that I was dating).

I repeated the following quote:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

They know that there are evil men in the world and that I'm a good man. I carry to protect myself and those I love. To not do so when I had the opportunity would be a gross failure on my part.

They know the reasoning behind my actions. And that the decision to carry is not negotiable.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:15 PM   #59
Pointshoot

BTW - - - there have been women who told me that they felt safe and protected when with me.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:50 PM   #60
Stressfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86
Some people can't help being a "Chatty Cathy"......
Yeah...there's that...gave my girl my ASP to carry with her when she works her night job - secluded area, off the freeway...yeah. She thought it would be a good idea to ask permission from her boss to have it in her purse...in the break room....

Said boss said it was fine....then added it as a note in her jacket

She apparently missed the part about concealed...
Old August 30, 2012, 04:08 PM   #61
1hogfan83

She worries about the background checks and stuff. She's afraid if she buys a gun, if I have a gun, my ccl, the mere mention of a gun will show up on the check. We started dating my last semester in college, I didn't carry because I was on campus most of the time. When we were done with college she didn't really seem to notice that much. I did most of the driving. I had a block in the truck, don't hold that against me. She didn't really start worring or getting irrate until my daughter came along and the yearly back ground checks came about.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old August 30, 2012, 04:20 PM   #62
youngunz4life

you might need to respect your wife's issues or at least take it slow
Old August 30, 2012, 04:50 PM   #63
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfan83
She worries about the background checks and stuff. She's afraid if she buys a gun, if I have a gun, my ccl, the mere mention of a gun will show up on the check. . . .
Ah-ha! There's the hook.

Look, if she's worried about all of that stuff turning up on her background check (which seems very unlikely unless they're doing interviews of family and friends), then you might want to put it in proper perspective for her: "Look, honey, if your background check somehow turns up the fact that I have my CHCL, that really tells officials is that I have been vetted by the Arkansas State Police, who thought it was OK for me to carry a concealed pistol." (Now, whether school officials will really see it that way is a different matter entirely.)
Old August 30, 2012, 04:58 PM   #64
WV_gunner

I don't carry yet, need to take the required course still. But my wife is on board with the idea 100%. She was with me when I got the gun for CC. But what we don't do is keep loaded guns strung through the house. We have a double barrel 12 gauge ready to be loaded. I'd like to get a smooth 18 inch barrel for my Mossberg and just keep the rifled barrel for hunting. In my new home, gonna use a 12 gauge and a Rossi Circuit Judge in .45 Colt. I don't want guns everywhere though. All but a few of my guns are in a safe. The rest are in some sort of case except one. That's because I can't find a case long enough, very long gun. I don't keep guns strung through the house because most thieves do not break in when you're home. Why keep the guns where the thieves can find them easy? I'm gonna try to find a way to stuff all of my guns in the safe except 2 that wont fit and hd guns. They will be hidden, possibly in the bedroom. When we have our kid, I'll have to figure out something else. The AK is already in a fancy case and I'm gonna have double padlocks, I'm still on the search for a 5 ft or so long case for my Marlin. I'm gonna figure out a way to lock the cases to the walls too so they aren't easily stolen.
Old August 30, 2012, 05:32 PM   #65
farmerboy

We have a 12 guage ready to be loaded????? what are you gonna tell someone if theyre coming into the house unannounced? Could you wait outside for a few minutes and let me load my gun? hehe You may have your CC weapon with you though that you take with you in the vehicle, What about the wife if shes at home alone? around here if my wife was at home alone and unarmed and needed help I guess she could call 911 and wait for 30 minutes. when you live far out like us you dont call 911 for police you call 911 to send a J.P. out.
Old August 31, 2012, 06:52 AM   #66
WV_gunner

If I hear someone outside, I always immeaditely look. If it's someone I don't know, I will get a gun. When the gun is in my hands, I can have it loaded in 4 seconds. I can load it while running if need be. It being unloaded won't loose me any time.
And if I'm not home, what makes you think my wife can't shoot a gun by herself? She knows how to shoot and operate everygun I own. And she will shoot if she is threatened.
Old August 31, 2012, 08:41 AM   #67
farmerboy

Makes me feel better.
Old August 31, 2012, 10:50 AM   #68
1hogfan83

She knows how to shoot most of my guns, the pistols at least. I don't know, I guess time will tell.
Old August 31, 2012, 10:56 AM   #69
farmerboy

Just make sure if you grab your gun and take off running like you said, you atleast leave a gun for your wife left behind!
Old September 3, 2012, 09:09 AM   #70
C5rider

Shooting Stance?

Delete-- sorry wrong forum.
Old September 6, 2012, 03:46 PM   #71
P95loser

Maybe I am just sheltered by the good ol' country girls of North Alabama but I don't see her issue with you owning a gun.

Will she be fired if they do a background check and find that you legally own guns? That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Does she feel less safe with guns in the house? That can be alleviated with familiarity and judicious usage of handgun lock boxes.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:50 AM   #72
L_Killkenny

I'm gonna toss out an opinion that will be about as popular here at TFL as Obama............

You're both right, you're both wrong. Odds are She's not gonna die if you're carrying, you're not gonna die if you're not. Is the slim odds of something happening worth tension in a marriage? Not to me. Compromise. My wife would think I'm off the rocker if I straped on a gun to run to the mail box and if she didn't like it I'd be better off not to do it (don't do it anyway, never will, but that's beside the point). But that's doesn't mean I'm gonna not carry if we're going to the city for dinner and a movie. Yes, two extremes I know. Anyway, go back to the second sentence of this paragraph and work something out. Personally between money and kids marriage can be hard enough that I'm not gonna push the issue for the slim odds of something happening. Another option is to carry something small, really small. Something like a little NAA revolver or keltec may not bring down her ire when you slip it into your pants pocket and is a long ways from being unarmed. Like I said, compromise and if that don't work just cave in. I'd rather risk death than having the wife peeved off everytime we went out.
Old September 7, 2012, 12:27 PM   #73
zxcvbob

Quote:
Carrying a gun is like driving a huge truck, making up for something peoples are short of in other departments
Feeling all smug and superior is well and good... until they need a truck. Then who are they gonna call on to help them move? (you know exactly who they will call)

It's actually a better analogy that I thought.
Old September 7, 2012, 01:00 PM   #74
Frank Ettin
Staff

Enough.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread