The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 6, 2012, 10:45 AM   #51
BlueTrain

To say you can teach ignorance doesn't make sense. Who told you that? And are you saying that some instructor is teaching people not to carry anything bigger than 9mm?
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 6, 2012, 10:47 AM   #52
2damnold4this

When I carry an auto, I always have the chamber loaded but the magazine usually contains nine instead of ten. This gives me a place to store the round that was in the chamber should I decide to unload the pistol.

I'd rather have one round in the chamber with an empty magazine than a full magazine with an empty chamber.
Old June 6, 2012, 10:52 AM   #53
RobertInIowa

Always +1 with a spare mag to boot.
Old June 6, 2012, 12:20 PM   #54
sonick808

I don't see the point in carrying an auto pistol if you don't have one in the chamber. I carry chambered all day every day, be it the striker-fired Glock, or cocked and locked 1911. 90% of the time, the former.
Old June 6, 2012, 05:23 PM   #55
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
To say you can teach ignorance doesn't make sense. Who told you that? And are you saying that some instructor is teaching people not to carry anything bigger than 9mm?
Makes perfect sense.
That's the way I read it and if it's right I have to agree. Some ignorant soul is teaching his ignorance to others.
Old June 6, 2012, 06:26 PM   #56
janieoakley

Absolutely!!!! No other way.
Old June 6, 2012, 06:56 PM   #57
1911Alaska

Thanks for the reply's guys!

My main reason for not carrying with one in the chamber is safety reasons. I could never forgive myself if it somehow accidentally went off and hit a loved one. Although, now that I think about this is highly unlikely to happen. I might have to reconsider this now.
Old June 6, 2012, 07:26 PM   #58
kinggabby

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's guys!

My main reason for not carrying with one in the chamber is safety reasons. I could never forgive myself if it somehow accidentally went off and hit a loved one. Although, now that I think about this is highly unlikely to happen. I might have to reconsider this now.
Sounds like you need to learn more about your carry weapon. The more you know about it the more comfortable you will be carrying it fully ready for action.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:06 PM   #59
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Alaska
...My main reason for not carrying with one in the chamber is safety reasons. I could never forgive myself if it somehow accidentally went off and hit a loved one. Although, now that I think about this is highly unlikely to happen. I might have to reconsider this now.
Some good training can help.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old June 6, 2012, 08:08 PM   #60
Spats McGee
Staff

1911Alaska, I don't know what you carry, though I might guess a 1911, were I a gambling man. With that said, most modern firearms of decent quality are very unlikely to "accidentally" discharge, provided that you exercise safe handling. Most accidental discharges are the result of user error. I agree with kinggabby, though, and think that you should probably become more familiar with your carry weapon. There's no downside to knowing more about your gun or getting some training.

Once you're more familiar, or have gotten some training, with respect to whether to carry with one in the chamber, there's a video that you might check out: Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber?
Old June 6, 2012, 08:40 PM   #61
Onward Allusion

Quote:
They had all been trained to not do either by their CCW instructor. So, yes, ignorance can be taught. JMNSHO
Good gawd - those instructors need to have their certifications revoked.
Old June 6, 2012, 10:13 PM   #62
insomni

Quote:
What are you gonna do when some dirt bag jumps you, say "hang on a minute while I rack my slide"?
I guess you could always throw the gun at him.
I know Israelis in particular carry with empty chambers. probably works for them, but as far as I'm concerned, any pistol that's not ready to fire as soon as it clears leather is a dead man's gun.
Old June 7, 2012, 06:36 AM   #63
BlueTrain

Doesn't take a minute.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 7, 2012, 07:40 AM   #64
OuTcAsT

Yes +1 and spare magazine.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old June 7, 2012, 07:52 AM   #65
Dashunde

Definitely +1

I'd rather carry a small claw hammer than a empty gun.

The list of logical and tactical reasons to carry loaded is pretty long.

I can think of only one reason not to carry loaded - if you dont adhere to gun safety (and storage) rules.
Old June 7, 2012, 09:43 AM   #66
P5 Guy

Loaded

But not plus one.
Fifteen rounds in the magazines. Usually carry two magazines along with the magazine in the pistol, which is loaded and a trigger pull is all that is needed to send lead at the threat. For myself, I see no need to have sixteen rounds or plus one.
That's just me. If I need all 45 rounds one more won't be making much difference in my personal outcome.
Old June 7, 2012, 06:07 PM   #67
Glockstar .40

always 1 in the chamber with a topped off mag and an extra mag...ya never know when your gonna run into a zombie high on bath salts
Old June 7, 2012, 06:26 PM   #68
jhenry

Can we discuss "Bath Salt's" guns and/or scenarios here?
Old June 7, 2012, 06:31 PM   #69
Jo6pak

reply nixed, misread the OP
Old June 7, 2012, 06:50 PM   #70
doofus47

I'm +1

Quote:
I'm not sure what sort of circumstances you might run into, but if the thought of an accident is at the front of your thinking, you might consider some more training, practice, and practice carry about the house, etc to acquaint yourself with your weapon.

Also, you might consider buying a pistol that passed the California drop test:
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
You can read up on the test and be assured that you're carrying a pistol that has been tested to some degree of impact safety. You can read the details to determine if you like their standards.

Ultimately, I'd simply recommend you do what makes you comfortable.
Old June 7, 2012, 07:11 PM   #71
LockedBreech

I have always carried with one in the chamber. Once upon a time I seriously listened to criticism of the method, and thought heavily on it.

Then I saw a video of a lawful citizen at a gas station being attacked two-on-one. He was able to claw his way back to his car. Sitting inside the car, he managed to free one hand and get his Glock G36 .45 out from the center console.

The entire time he was trying for his G36, two fit youths were pulling his other arm trying to get him out the car. He had no chance of freeing it. Thanks to +1 carry, he delivered two center-of-mass shots and ended the threat.

I no longer wonder. Every pistol I ever own will always be chambered now, just not my rifles and shotguns because of the ultra-light triggers. And they will be fired on an empty chamber, safety off.

The video can be seen here. It is educational in a number of ways.

http://fox.daytonsnewssource.com/sha...s/vid_47.shtml

Last edited by LockedBreech; June 7, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old June 7, 2012, 10:07 PM   #72
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry
Can we discuss "Bath Salt's" guns and/or scenarios here?
Sounds off topic to me. What make you think it would be germane to the subject of this thread?
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old June 7, 2012, 10:47 PM   #73
animal

I do the +1 in the pipe when carrying an auto( PT-100). When I buy gas, I top off the tank, and if going on a trip.. fill the neck. Dunno if they’re related, but both seem like the right thing to do.
I usually prefer a .44 bulldog and sometimes a speed loader in the jacket pocket.(lighter, more comfy)
Kinda funny, since I doubt I’ll need one bullet. I doubt I’ll ever need fire insurance on the house either, but those premiums keep getting paid on time.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; June 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: delete off topic material
Old June 7, 2012, 10:54 PM   #74
jimbob86

Quote:
Do you carry +1?
No, I have not aquired any magic bullets ...... would be nice to have the one in the pipe be a +5 GoblinSlayer, though..........
Old June 8, 2012, 06:43 AM   #75
LordTio3

I had a Nordic Cloak once that gave me +25 Carry. I was able to equip my Gaelic Hero Armour and carry the massive granite boulders in order to unblock the Sealed Caves of Corsair.

~LT