The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 6, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Wingsy

Can't Hit The Broad Side of A Barn

It's not THAT bad, but...

I recently got a Savage 93R17 CAMO. Using Hornaday 17Gr ammo I took it out to my property in the country, set up some targets, and got busy setting up the scope (BSA 4-9x50, what came on the rifle). By the end of the day I was putting 5 rounds inside a 1.5in circle and drilling holes in quarters (@ 100yds).

It all went downhill from there.

Trying to get a feel for wind drift on a windy day was hopeless. They were all over the place. Then I had a calm day and they were STILL all over the place but somewhat better. Nothing like my first day. Junky scope I thought, so I got a BSA Sweet17 (6-18x40). Tried setting it up yesterday, and winds were dead calm. Best I could get was a 4in group of 5 at 100yds. AO set to 100yds, good focus, turret at 100 (after calibrating the turret, more or less), and windage at 0 (after calibrating that too, more or less). For example, I would get maybe 3 rounds in a fairly tight group 2in to the right, then click in 3 clicks to the left and get the next 3 rounds 2in to the left... go back to where I was before and still get 3 more rounds to the left. It was like that all day yesterday. I kept fiddling with it until I was all over the bulls eye but still not better than a 4in group. So I moved out to 200yds, dialed in 200yds on the turret and AO and do 5 rounds. Didn't hit the target AT ALL (I think the target is about 10in square.)

I have the rifle set up on sand bags so I'm pretty sure it's stable when I fire. But what could be causing me to have lost that Annie Oakley feeling? I was happy with myself on day one but now I'm shooting like I'm half blind with a nervous twitch. Suggestions welcome.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:11 PM   #2
big al hunter

You have a 17 hmr, I assume.

I would equate shooting a 17 hmr at 200 yards to shooting a 308 win at 1000yards. Wind and trajectory make that a very long shot for a 17.

Practice at 75 yards, long shot at 150 yards. If you want to shoot at 200 work your way out with targets at 25 yard increments to see where it hits, and adjust the scope. (Maybe wait for a no wind day)
Old January 6, 2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Ralph Allen

Try a different brand of scope.
Ralph
Old January 6, 2013, 07:17 PM   #4
bacardisteve

I have the same gun and found that the stock sucked bad. It would shoot a little diffrent depending on where i held it or how far forward it rested on the sandbags. The action screw also use to come loose easily. I put a boyds stock on it and now it shoots amazing. Well worth the $125 for the stock and a new trigger guard.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Wingsy

I dunno Al. A 308 drops about 4in at 200yds and an HMR17 drops 8in. (100yd zero) I'd take a shot at 200yds with an HMR17 and feel more confident about it than a 308 at 300 (15in drop). Well... except for my present situation that is.

I'll take your advice and try again at 25yd increments and see if I can tell where things fall apart. Thanks. But I'm still concerned about why I'm such a lousy shot compared to my first few days with the 17.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:59 PM   #6
bacardisteve

Forget to mention this but if your using the winchester ammo ive had bad results with it. Ive heard cci loadsfor the other manufacturers but for my 17 it really hates winchester ammo.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Mobuck

Was all the ammo from the same lot? My Ruger was shooting cloverleaf groups with a certain lot and 1.5" groups with another lot. I switched to a different brand and went back to 1/2" groups. Now I have to go back and check each lot until I segregate the "good" and "bad" lots. We shot 5 brands/bullet types through Son's Ruger and got groups from 1/2" to 2"-same rifle and distance.
BTW your reference to the drop of the 17HMR @200 yards compared to 308 is incorrect.
My info indicates all 17HMR ammo is made in the same plant(even Winchester).
Old January 6, 2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Wingsy

Steve - you are so right! I tried a box of Winchester and after half a box through the barrel I threw the rest away. It seemed that every shot I took was a flyer. I've been using Hornaday ammo. Tried a box of CCI and it seemed Hornaday produced tighter groups. Was a close call though.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Buffalo444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
I dunno Al. A 308 drops about 4in at 200yds and an HMR17 drops 8in. (100yd zero) I'd take a shot at 200yds with an HMR17 and feel more confident about it than a 308 at 300 (15in drop). Well... except for my present situation that is.

I'll take your advice and try again at 25yd increments and see if I can tell where things fall apart. Thanks. But I'm still concerned about why I'm such a lousy shot compared to my first few days with the 17.
He's not refering to the drop so much as he is refering to the light bullet getting blown around.

sent from the rust monster
Old January 6, 2013, 09:07 PM   #10
bacardisteve

Yeah 17hmr sucks big time in wind. Even a 2mph breeze will cause 3" of drift at 200.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Wingsy

Mobuck - I got the 308 data from here:
http://www.ultimatesniper.com/Docs/38.PDF

And the 17 data from here:
http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
Old January 7, 2013, 12:03 AM   #12
big al hunter

Yep, wind and light bullets=
Old January 7, 2013, 01:36 AM   #13
Metal god

My ballistic calculator says the Hornady 17gr 17hmr bullet will drop 8-1/2" @ 200yds

A 308 168gr will drop 4-1/2 " @ 200yds .

Bullet drop is not the issue it is a constant . you can compensate for it with a scope adjustment . It's the wind that separates the men from the boys because it always is changing and is never a constant .

I do not own a 17hmr but what I here is there really only good to about 150yds and best no more then 100yds . Thats has to do with the weight and BC .

This is the data/specs on the Hornady 17gr 17HMR http://www.hornady.com/store/17hmr-17gr-vmax/

Here is a link to a calculator http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-re...ics-calculator

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .