The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What will you risk in defense of a stranger?
I am unwilling to place myself at risk in the defense of a stranger (dial 911 only) 27 45.76%
I am willing to place my finances at risk (possible being sued) 2 3.39%
I am willing to risk my freedom (possibly facing prison) 0 0%
I am willing to risk my life but not the safety of bystanders. (no chance of gunfight) 13 22.03%
I am willing to risk my life and increase risk for bystanders. (will risk a gunfight) 17 28.81%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 19, 2010, 07:57 PM   #51
briandg

I would step in with whatever it took, at whatever risk to myself, when I am satisfied that it is what I have to do. It is, in my mind, a human duty.

OTOH, my daughter is vaguely nuts. At one point, she had a meltdown, and went running away from me into town after school. I tried to get her into the car, I was dragging her forcibly across the parking lot of a church.

A person interceded on her behalf. she hollered rape. I had to throw my wallet at him, told him to call my wife, and shut the hell up.

I know as well as anyone that things aren't always what they seem.
Old August 19, 2010, 08:39 PM   #52
Glenn E. Meyer

If you were African-American (note to all, this is based on empirical scientific research and not race baiting), there would be a higher probability that a Caucasian observer might misperceive your wallet as a gun and take it from there.

This research is based on the follow up of the Diallo case and is very solid. Talk about race in a bad way at your peril.

Interesting nuance to think about.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:34 PM   #53
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If you were African-American, there would be a higher probability that a Caucasian observer might misperceive your wallet as a gun and take it from there.
Actually, in the case I was describing, the "perpetrator" was African-American and the "victim" was white. The guy was dressed in urban chic (not gangster, but baggy pants and prominent chain), and I remember thinking that many bystanders might have jumped to conclusions earlier as a result of that.

It stinks that it's that way. It really does, but the guy gave the appearance of intending harm to bystanders, and I hate to think of what might have happened if his prank was misinterpreted.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:40 PM   #54
Wildalaska

Quote:
I would step in with whatever it took, at whatever risk to myself, when I am satisfied that it is what I have to do. It is, in my mind, a human duty.

Yet that human duty could have cost you YOUR life if the guy chose not to beleive your wallet.

WildafterallitshisdutytoorightAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old August 19, 2010, 10:51 PM   #55
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
there are exceptions to everything and for me the kid me raped is just that.
I admit, I'm tired, but I've read that sentence 3 times or more and I think it needs changing.
Old August 20, 2010, 08:58 AM   #56
animal

IMHO, a lot of mistakes (most?) can be avoided by learning to control your own fear … so you can accept the things you observe for what they actually are, instead of acting on what you’re afraid they might be.
I concede that it is almost always easier said than done, and that over-confidence is just as bad as cowardice from the standpoint of achieving the desired result. If you’re acting out of emotionalism (to advance, retreat, or stand ground); you’ve already lost the first part of the battle imo, and fallen into an extremely high-risk category. Don’t let emotions get in the way of thinking, is mostly what I’m trying to say.