The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 25, 2006, 11:42 PM   #26
281 Quad Cam

I'm in EMT school right now... Encouraging...
It's worth it, right?
Old January 26, 2006, 09:26 AM   #27
JohnLizCas

EMT response

As an EMT in NJ, we have been trained in scene safety. If the police don't clear the crime scene, we stay where we are told. Although I am a gun owner, NJ"s carry laws (very prohibitive) do not allow us to carry, so we really have no choice. Having been a medic in VN, I only had my safety to worry about and took the risks. In civilian life, things are a lot different with a crew to worry about too. John
Old January 27, 2006, 07:47 PM   #28
Hollywood D

i've never been shot at on a call before but there have been times I thought we might be ambushed.

Unfortunately, EMS in some areas are having to wear vests because they get shot at.
Old January 28, 2006, 01:19 PM   #29
Ares45

You guys might have to excuse me but this really pisses me off! I'm putting myself in an EMT's shoes for a second wondering what makes me want to rush in there and do my job after getting shot at last week. Couldn't the idiots at least be smart enough to realize that their behavior is exactly what keeps the good guys sitting idle on the sidelines. Bunch of handout loving morons if you ask me. All I can say is that you must have a better sense of serving your fellow man or sense of duty than I do. I'm a good samaritan and all and I'm usually the first to stop and offer assistance if I can help but I've got a serious problem with helping people who try to kill me. This reminds me of watching those ungrateful SOBs in N.O. shooting at rescue helicopters. One shot thru the floorboard and I'd be burning fuel over the everglades. Piss on them.

Some people have no respect or understanding of others putting their lives on the line to save someone else's sorry butt. Hell, the Palestinian's don't even shoot at ambulances. I just don't get it. At this rate we're gonna need up-armored meat wagons before the decade is out. God help us all.
Old January 29, 2006, 03:04 AM   #30
Glock 31

Unfortunately I think God's position is he gave us life, he owes us nothing more. We're on our own from here on. As for morons who can't realize that shooting at good guys is counter productive, I don't expect them to know their left from their right, much less right from wrong. Let them burn. In this world or the next.
Old January 29, 2006, 07:17 PM   #31
gddyup

Scene safety is paramount regardless of the call we are on. PERIOD!

Code 75, Code 10, behavorial problem..... we stage and sit tight until PD confirms that the scene is safe. PD gets paid to deal with bullets, I don't. I get paid to deal with what is wrong on scene, not to take bullets. Due to circumstances just like Colt has mentioned in this thread, response simply comes down to this where I work :

Your emergency is NOT my emergency. Myself and my team are #1. WE come first. When the scene is safe, then we'll help you with your emergency. It may sound ****ty, but that's the way it is. The state and the department put a lot of time, effort, and money into my training, and that of my team, to have it taken away by someone who could give a 5hit less for it. We get paid to save lives and risk our own many times to do it.

Somewhat off topic but the same general ideals apply. I can't count the number of times I have been accused, and my team been accused, of being RACISTS on EMS calls. I didn't get into this buisness to save ONLY WHITE PEOPLE! I got into this buisness to try and help EVERYONE! THAT'S what I agreed to when I signed off on my license. If you don't try and help me help you, then things aren't going to go as planned! If you are not honest with me... if you don't answer my questions... if you try and circumvent every avenue of approach by me to your current problem... I CAN'T HELP YOU! That's not being RACIST! If you can't help me help you then that's YOUR issue! NOT mine.

Being shot at by friends or family members because you couldn't help is a society issue that goes back to the "help me help you" ideal. The longer it takes the PD to get a handle on the situation, the longer it takes PD to call "scene secure" and have EMS come in from staging. BE honest and help the PD secure the scene and you might just save a life.

BS like this is the reason why many services are going to body-armor to try and protect the people who are trying to help you. I wouldn't be surprised to see it mentioned in the near future in my neck of the woods....

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old January 30, 2006, 01:33 AM   #32
rezmedic54

Shot at and hit

Like I stated earlier been shot and stabbed while on the job every time was after PD called the scene safe. I was stabbed in the back of my ride because PD missed the knife when they frisked him and also the 2 times they missed the ice pick and the Bowie Knife. The gun shot was after the scene was called OK to come in while we where working the first gun shot victim a rival gang came back and I guess figured they would make sure that they finished the job. It took a while to get over those but I did and developed the same attitude that most people get after a while and that is it ain't my problem and I really don't care I'll do my job and thats all, But most of us hard asses still feel it when it's a kid and most of us can recall every time we worked one. They probably will stay with me till they put me in the ground. The big problem was that kids can't help what happens for the most part so they get hurt or die from SMS or SDS . Stupid Mother syndrome or Stupid Dad Syndrome. Been told to write a book and my answer is I would but No body would believe any of it was real. You guys that still work the streets are the best. So Be Safe Out There. Kurt Pietrzak ( Retired C.E.P. )
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old January 30, 2006, 02:27 AM   #33
IndianaDean

Well I'm glad you're ok. As to where it happened, that's exactly the reason I carry all the time. Even if I'm going to visit the folks in Noblesville or goig to somplace like Carmel.
Old January 30, 2006, 08:44 AM   #34
xrageofangelsx

Gotta love the fact that you can still open carry in Indiana.
Old January 30, 2006, 11:36 PM   #35
#18indycolts

fellow emt's and medics:thanx!
Old February 1, 2006, 12:37 AM   #36
IndianaDean

Open carry may technically be legal in Indiana, but I sure ain't gonna do it. At least not in the city.
Old February 1, 2006, 01:26 AM   #37
#18indycolts

you and me both Dean. "what they don't know can't hurt 'em"....that doesn't apply to guns, does it?
Old February 1, 2006, 03:27 AM   #38
IndianaDean

No, it does not. Why let the bad guy see you have it, so he can lie in ambush?
Old February 1, 2006, 07:59 AM   #39
xrageofangelsx

I don't open carry in Indianapolis, but I do when I am at home in Columbus. Never been hassled, never been harassed.

The only question I've been asked has been, "is that real?"
Old March 2, 2009, 08:25 PM   #40
chadwick76

hey indy 18, i keep up on your threads because i also live in naptown. I am currently applying to 3 fire depts. here in town. i always wonder how often tht sort of thing happens to our 1st responders. well it does not deter me, and i am very glad to hear a great outcome! you guys and your jobs are very needed and appreciated by MOST of us!
Old March 2, 2009, 08:49 PM   #41
troy_mclure

sounds like you need a turret and saw mounted on your ride! lol
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 2, 2009, 09:11 PM   #42
vox rationis

I'm glad that you are safe. Shooting at EMS personnel ought to be seen as serious an infraction as shooting at LEO's (not that shooting at anyone isn't, but I hope you get my point)! From my perspective as a physician, I unequivocally say that you guys and gals are under appreciated by the general public. You guys are the quiet professionals on the "front lines", just like LEO's and Firefighters, that do the initial hard work and heavy lifting, keeping us safe out there in the wild urban jungle. Godspeed out there.
Old March 2, 2009, 09:15 PM   #43
rantingredneck

Indy,

I'll chime in with another "THANK YOU" from someone who's been for a ride or two in an ambulance (and air ambulance). This of course is extended to all the EMT's here and LEO's as well.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 2, 2009, 09:32 PM   #44
pax

Well, guys -- this thread is from 2006.

I, too, am glad Indy's okay, but I'm closing this as the necro-thread it is.

pax
Closed Thread