The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 9, 2008, 02:32 AM   #1
#20fan

Couple questions

I was asked a couple of questions recently that were kind of interesting.
We all know the one about "If you were going to a gunfight what would you do?" Of course the answer is don't go.
What I was asked was "If you had no choice, no way out of it, absolutely had to go to a gunfight would you be completely comfortable and confident in your level of training?"
The second question was "If you knew 100% before it started that you were going to die in a gun battle, no way around it, how would you fight?"
I was asked before the training session but was to answer after.
Old October 9, 2008, 03:02 AM   #2
clt46910

You should never be so comfortable with your training or equipment that you would not be scared or very nervous.

If I knew I was going to die, I would fight with the last spark left in me.
Old October 9, 2008, 03:32 AM   #3
teeroux

Quote:
"If you knew 100% before it started that you were going to die in a gun battle, no way around it, how would you fight?"
I would try to draw out the length of the fight and make them earn their kill.

Also since i can't run away and I become wounded and are about to die I'm throwing caution to the wind and takin out as many of the SOBs that i can without care to myself.

If they don't shoot me in the head or spine I will keep fighting (hopefully killing em back)till my last breath is expended.
Old October 9, 2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Keltyke

Quote:
What I was asked was "If you had no choice, no way out of it, absolutely had to go to a gunfight would you be completely comfortable and confident in your level of training?"
Since I have no choice, yes. If you go in not confident, you lose before you start. "Confident" doesn't mean I wouldn't be scared spitless - I would. Everyone can always use more training.

Quote:
The second question was "If you knew 100% before it started that you were going to die in a gun battle, no way around it, how would you fight?"
The same way I'd go into ANY fight - 100% down and dirty. There's no such thing as "fair fight" or "limited warfare". Do what you need to do to win. But I'm dead? If I stop the BG, I still win.

Quote:
I was asked before the training session but was to answer after.
So, what did YOU answer?
Old October 9, 2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Scattergun Bob

#20fan

I am truly sorry that a defensive trainer would insult you with such a question.

"If you knew 100% before it started that you were going to die in a gun battle, no way around it, how would you fight?"

The answer is simple then do not fight. Who could possibly know or understand the future outcome of any fight. Don't allow yourself to be dragged into such Lose/Lose ideas it is counterproductive.

In a gunfight, never quite, never give up, never surrender, stay in the fight, the outcome WILL BE, WHAT IT WILL BE.

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; October 10, 2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old October 9, 2008, 09:39 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

HOT AND HEAVY!!! I never intentionally want the opponent to throw the first punch. And the only unfair fight is the one I lose. I just gotta try my derndest. And Under no circumstance would I ever believe I am gonna lose or die. If I am in it... I am in it to win it. If it is a one on one battle I have no less than a 50/50 chance of victory and with any luck it may be even better odds than that!
Brent
Old October 10, 2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Brit

Know you are going to die?

What a silly question, how could you know that? All the ancient Japanese martial artist/Warriors, made much of not being in a battle was the way to go.

If the posturing by an individual, and their verbiage looks like building up courage for fight one oh one! His words are quite likely to be indistinct, the flat fist punch to the throat does that to a person.
Old October 10, 2008, 07:00 AM   #8
cerberus65

What stupid, stupid questions! I would very likely have walked out of the training.

After starting out with questions like that, the instructor would have already relieved me of pretty much all the benefit of the doubt that I would have been extending to them. And my confidence in the rest of what they had to say would be pretty dang low. You know what they say about first impressions...

Sometimes it's best just to refuse to play someone's silly game. And now you've avoided that "unavoidable" gunfight, etc. :-)