The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 14, 2004, 10:32 AM   #1
!Trigger

Legal knife carry length in GA?

I've looked and looked but I can't come up with anything that answers my question. I"m looking for the legal length of a carry knife can be? I do have a CCW if that makes a difference. I'm in Georgia.
Old December 14, 2004, 11:17 AM   #2
E505

From Packing.org

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/georgia

Knife carry law summary:

Date updated: Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Georgia Code 16-11-126

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, metal knuckles, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

Georgia Code 16-11-127.1,

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(2) 'Weapon' means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches,

Admin Note: Only under school carry is the length of a knife blade mentioned in Georgia Law. As 16-11-126 it looks like open carry of a knife is legal. More Information on Knife Carry can be found Here
Old December 14, 2004, 11:21 AM   #3
!Trigger

So if I'm reading that right... it's essentially gotta be a utility knife of 3 inches or less? Although it says 2 inches... so maybe 2? Mini kabar?