The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2001, 10:11 PM   #26
KilgorII

I agree

They have addressed that problem.

Quote:
...or you can have it fitted with a regular key overide.

Old February 9, 2001, 09:57 AM   #27
Coronach

Campus Security jokes...

Well, thats my point. You're far more likely to mindlessly do something hysterically illegal if you routinely leave a gun in, say, your trunk, than you do if you carry it on you. I kow quite well that CCW permits don't cover taking a gun onto a college campus. I mean, you're just a man looking for a bell tower at that point, right? :P

Scenarios...

Road-not-quite-kill _is_ admittedly a good one. I had thought of it, but to me it doesn't justify the effort/expense. Others disagree.

Car breakdowns:

I don't see how this helps unless you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the boonies and would need to shoot possums to survive. I mean, what are you going to do? As soon as your vehicle breaks down you load up the shotgun and hunker down in the car? When the highway patrol shows up to lend you a hand you'll probably end up having an interesting conversation.

I *freely* admit that it is possible to be assaulted/robbed out of a breakdown. I'm not sure how having a long arm is useful since if you need a gun you need it RIGHT NOW and that means you're either sitting there 'brandishing' (to use that favourite media term) a SG or its still back in the trunk/behind the seat...where you won't have time to get it.

Would I rather have it than nothing? Yes. But I'd prefer to have a pistol.

Urban Unrest:

Plausible? Sure. But again...if you have time to get the SG ready to play, you probably have time to exit stage left as well. Probably. Again, would I rather have it than nothing? Certainly. Better that than a pistol? In this one, perhaps.

When faced with an angry crowd blocking your vehicle, remember the words of the Bond Villian from 1 or 2 films ago: "Use bumper. Thats what its there for."

My main, overriding concern is the possibility that the gun is unsecured. Lets face it, how many of you guys that actually have a dedicated 'trunk gun' actually secure it? I'm sure some do, but most I bet don't- and just locking the trunk doesn't cut it.

Survival is about playing the odds, right? Okay, lets take that scenario of mine where BG ransacks your car, finds your SG and turns it on you, and place it against an urban unrest scenario where you actually need a SG to get through. Which is more likely? If you haven't clamped that bad boy down, I think the first is FAR more likely.

However, as I said, secure it and its just another option. And options are good things.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 10, 2001, 09:33 PM   #28
Jager1

handgun versus shotgun - handgun loses

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old February 14, 2001, 12:58 PM   #29
laissezfirearm

> You're far more likely to mindlessly do something
> hysterically illegal if you routinely leave a gun
> in, say, your trunk, than you do if you carry it
> on you.

Since you have cooled-it on the blanket statements, I'll back off a bit. But even this one deserves a response:

1) So if you have to roll by the local college, you'll first make a detour home, lock the gun in your safe, do your business, drive home to get repacked, then continue on with your day? Always? Golly. You're well-trained.

2) Again, if you foul-up, in many places IF YOU HAVE A CCW, YOU *MUST* TURN YOURSELF IN TO THE COP. CCW folks MUST conduct themselves like Caesar's wife -- absolutely above reproach. That is FAR more hassle than it is worth for some thoughtful people. It is a privilege, not a right (except in Vermont, apparently).

If you want to rumble your tummy at night making up nightmare scenarios, fine, but the repercussions for CCWs will sometimes be much WORSE, and can cause a LOT of problems where having a gun in the trunk WON'T. You want to make it an either/or, but of course it can also be a both/neither depending on your destination/mindset.

3) Depends on the local treatment of the "hysterically illegal" offense, wouldn't it? Where I live, I'd bet at least a few of the people on the jury would have a gun in *their* trunk. They'd be the ones turning red as they slowly figure out that it might be a major no-no where they are currently parked, over by the courthouse.
Old February 14, 2001, 05:41 PM   #30
Coronach

Huh.

So, this would have to be the first and only time I have EVER heard anyone on this board state that having an unloaded gun in your trunk is better than having a loaded one on you.

As far as never carrying concealed in a forbidden place, I would have to say "sure." Its not that hard to remember that you can't pack heat in the places where you can't pack heat. If recalling simple things like that is that much of a chore for anyone, they're likely to cap their buddy in the chest with a bunch of cigarette butts anyway, so there's just no helping them.

As far as me worrying myself with worst-case scenarios...LOL. Personally? I think its far easier to find situations where having a trunk gun is problematic than it is to find situations where it is useful. Now who is laying awake at night dreaming up 'nightmare scenarios?'

If you want one, fine. Its a free country. It might come in handy. Mind the legality and safety issues.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 14, 2001, 06:37 PM   #31
Red Label

Gotta agree with Mike on this one. I live in Montana -- the home of the Free(men) and the land of the brave(Unibomber). Things are relatively lax up here as far as guns go. And crime ain't too bad. But I rarely carry any of my guns anywhere. Usually it's just when I leave town, and mainly for putting an injured dear out of it's misery (I travel most weekends). I sure as hell don't want to advertise like some of the other rednecks up here by putting a couple of my firearms up in the window for everyone to see. Is it legal? Sure! Would I like to carry my whole arsenal everywhere I go? Sure! Would the effort/liability be worth it? Not so sure. I hope I don't start a huge flame here, but I've noticed that there is some corellation between the carrying of firearms and paranoia. I'm actually a lot less paranoid and worried about what everyone else is up to in this rat race when I am NOT packing a firearm. I have a friend that wants me to go get a CCW with him. I'm considering it. But, up here at least, I'm not sure how beneficial it is. This is a guy with a lot of steam to blow off. I'm afraid that one day he'll have an altercation with another motorist over some road rage related minor thing, and someone will end-up dead, and the other on trial. Anyways... just MY OWN opinion. No flaming needed. To each his own. Just wanted to weigh in with another point of view.
Old February 15, 2001, 04:31 PM   #32
laissezfirearm

>So, this would have to be the first and only time I
>have EVER heard anyone on this board state that having
>an unloaded gun in your trunk is better than having a
>loaded one on you.

Well, aside from having never said anything remotely resembling that, I'd have to guess that your repeated assertions that a gun in the trunk at ANY time other than when driving directly to or from the range is a crisis worth wetting your pants over might win a few more strange looks, all things considered.

To steal a line from the movie *Heathers*: "This is Ohio. If you don't have a brewski in your hand, you might as well be wearing a dress."
Old February 15, 2001, 06:00 PM   #33
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Easy.............

This is a warning...

Keep it civil.

Giz
Old February 15, 2001, 10:48 PM   #34
Coronach

Pants wetting...nightmare scenarios...

Well, we're officially accomplishing nothing here.

Mike

Old February 16, 2001, 05:38 AM   #35
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I agree. Thread closed.
Closed Thread