The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2012, 04:06 PM   #26
gyvel

Looks like you have an Argentine Colt Hartford built pistol. "Policia Federal" refers to Buenos Aires Police.

Argentina contracted with Colt in 1927 to purchase 10,000 pistols for the Argentine Army. (Later (ca. 1946-47), Argentina got license to build Colts in Argentina, which are labeled "Sistema Colt.")

This particular Colt was NOT part of the 10,000 pistol order in 1927, as it falls into the "C" serial number range, making it part of a special order for the Buenos Aires Police. The 1927 order was in its own serial number range, 1-10,000, and frame numbers are actually stamped under the mainspring housing.

To be honest, even though it has been Parkerized, you have a fairly scarce variation of a Hartford built Argentine Colt, since it has the Buenos Aires Police markings. Personally, I wouldn't be replacing anything on it that would entail a permanent change. If you want to install a new barrel, that's not a problem, but replacing sights, etc. will mean permanent changes and a reduction in value of the gun.

Last edited by gyvel; March 15, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old March 16, 2012, 07:36 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Gyvel,

It's only the Colt slide he has. His receiver says Interarms. Also, it looks to me like whoever refinished it weld-filled a rust pit or a stamping just in front of the "P" in "Policia", so I expect any significant collector value to the slide has already spoiled.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 16, 2012, 10:03 AM   #28
dahermit

Quote:
...It's only the Colt slide he has. His receiver says Interarms....
If I am not mistaken, that is an import mark (re-imported from Argentina), not the maker's mark. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:31 AM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

That's a good point. Could be. They used to import a lot of stuff, though it is an added mark. Maybe the gun is original then, even if all the markings are not. I'm still curious about the apparent weld spot.
Old March 16, 2012, 05:31 PM   #30
Maxx_Ammo

yeah that was my feeing as to the value and it being gone.. planning to make a cool shooter.. outa it.. getting the slide dovetailed and putting on adj sights..
Old March 17, 2012, 07:25 AM   #31
gyvel

Quote:
It's only the Colt slide he has. His receiver says Interarms. Also, it looks to me like whoever refinished it weld-filled a rust pit or a stamping just in front of the "P" in "Policia", so I expect any significant collector value to the slide has already spoiled.
Wrong. The "spot" in front of the P in Policia is the Argentine national crest.

"Interarms" (now defunct) was the importer of the gun, as required by U.S. law and regulations.

Most of these guns had a fairly rought life in Argentina and so were refinished there either by Parkerizing or rebluing.

ANY Argentine Hartford Colt is a fairly scarce item, this one all the more so since it was a very small special order for the Buenos Aires Police and not part of the original 10,000 gun order for the Argentine Army.

As it stands, although some originality is lost because of the refinish and importer's mark, anything the OP does to further modify this gun is only going to reduce it further in value.

Maxx_ammo, if you want to make a "cool shooter," sell this gun to a collector and buy yourself an RIA and have money left over to buy your accessories.

If you ruin this Argentine, you're only going to lose money, as you will never get back your investements for whatever changes you make to it.
Old March 17, 2012, 07:27 AM   #32
gyvel

Quote:
yeah that was my feeing as to the value and it being gone..
The value is NOT gone, but it will be as soon as you make any permanent modifications.
Old March 17, 2012, 09:11 AM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

I think Gyvel is right. I enlarged the "weld spot" and see feathers or leaves around the edge. It looks like it lost sharpness due to the Parkerizing, but it not a weld. The serial number is low enough to be the real thing, too. Hasty call on my part.

I'd take his suggestion and see if you can find a collector. You may come out ahead on this deal.
Old March 18, 2012, 06:19 AM   #34
Maxx_Ammo

t

I can have the parkerizing removed and the gun re-blued in your opnions is this the safe move? I am not doing anythig to the gun it in any way that can not be change back by swapping parts..
Old March 18, 2012, 06:23 AM   #35
Maxx_Ammo

asking price

anyone that can ball park me on an asking price for this gun in the current state I would be grateful.. think I will place it in my collection and just buy me a RIA to mod.. good advice..
Old March 18, 2012, 04:19 PM   #36
Unclenick
Staff

You can strip the Parkerizing off easily enough, but the folks who applied it probably abrasive or bead blasted the metal first, taking off the original polishing and reducing the depth and definition of the stampings. If you are talking about restoring the gun to original condition some polishing will likely be involved and the markings will likely thin out even more. Unless you like collecting, I would leave that expense to the next owner so you don't have the money invested and putting yourself in the position of having to get a higher price to recoup the investment, which may be harder to do.
Old March 18, 2012, 07:04 PM   #37
Maxx_Ammo

well said.. thanks
Old March 22, 2012, 01:10 AM   #38
gyvel

The Parkerizing is part of the history of the gun. Investing $200-300 in a professional reblue just doesn't make economic sense. It is money that you will never recover.

Check on Gunbroker to see what the market is bearing. Just remember to look at ONLY sold guns, not some guy with an unsold gun and an unrealistic price.
Old March 23, 2012, 03:59 PM   #39
Maxx_Ammo

I can have it prof. reblued for free..