The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: Should I give it a shot?
Sure. It seems to be decent quality and will suit your needs. Go for it 5 50.00%
Stay away from it. Its crap (even for $100.00) 3 30.00%
Id stay away from it just because its an Aimpoint clone and isnt the real deal 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 21, 2010, 06:25 PM   #1
GLP Standard

Aimpoint style red dot sight ...a "clone" if you will. Decent?

Kinda long, but I need some decent advice....here goes.

My current AR-15 setup is as follows:

Bushmaster XM-15 flattop upper with M4 stepped barrel
Stag Arms lower with 6 position M4 stock
A.R.M.S. back up iron sight
Pentagonlight MD-2 light/laser combo
Midwest Industries hand guards
TangoDown vertical foregrip

A decent setup, especially for what I paid (I bought it with all this stuff on it). The only thing I feel it lacks, is an optic. That being said, having messed around with EOTechs and Aimpoints, as well as a couple Trijicon ACOGs on the M4a1's that EOD checks into our armory at work from time to time, I really like the Aimpoints. If I had it my way, Id get an ACOG, but at $1100 a pop, I think that would be a very poor financial decision on my part, especially on a rifle that will never shoot more than paper.

Im itching to buy an Aimpoint. I really like the Comp ML2's, but at $450.00 + $150 for a good mount, I cant justify spending the money on something that sits in a case except for maybe 4-5 times a year when it comes out to play at the range.

My question is, I was looking at this:

http://rrages.com/aimpoint/

...and Im highly interested in its quality, and if anyone knows anything about that particular sight. Ive read tons and tons of threads on the Aimpoint clone subject, and I know most peoples feelings on them. They are chinese crap, yes, and they are nothing like the real thing. I agree 100%. However, this isnt about quality. Its about money, and number 1, can I afford $500.00+ for a sight on a home defense/target rifle, and number 2, can I justify spending the money for it? If money wasnt an object, I would go with a real Aimpoint no questions asked, but unfortunately....yeah I think you get the point.

So for $102.00 shipped to my door (I want the cantilever mount so I can cowitness with my ARMS BUIS) will this sight be decent? The reasons I like it over other knockoffs, are he clearly states it is not the quality of a real Aimpoint, and will not be as waterproof and durable as the real deal. He flat out says it on his sight. His sights also don't have markings on them. I dont want a Aimpoint clone that says Aimpoint, because thats trademark infringement, and its pretty lame if you ask me. IMO, its not even an Aimpoint "clone", its a sight "styled after the Aimpoint". Definitely better than a $200.00 chinese knockoff that tries to pass itself off as a genuine Comp M2.

So...for my use, and what I want, would this serve me well? It appears to be decent quality in the photos, but who can trust that? Honestly if its crap quality and its going to either break, or be inaccurate, or lose its zero every time you fire the weapon, I wont touch it. But if itll be worth the $100 itll cost me, Im willing to give it a try.

What does everyone think?
Old September 21, 2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Rifleman1776

Keep shopping. Electronics are still coming way down in price. I'm sure there are other red dot sights out there that are very suitable and at reasonable prices.
Old September 21, 2010, 07:05 PM   #3
rickdavis81

Primary Arms are supposedly very good clones and have a huge following on AR15.com. They run a little less than a 100. I just ordered a Vortex Sparc for 200 and the have a strikefire for 150. They both receive great reviews also. Both makers also appear to have great C.S.
Old September 21, 2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Jo6pak

Go for it.

Looks alot like the Primary Arms M3 style optic that I just put on my DR200.
I had a Vortex Strikefire on it, but the dot was not bright enough for sunny/snowy conditions.
The fact is that most of us will never need Mil-spec optics/accessories on our rifles.
Old September 24, 2010, 11:35 AM   #5
hals1

The Shooters Box has the Eotech 512.A65 on sale for $350 + shipping if you are interested in that type of sight.
Primary Arms has great customer service comments in all the forums (fora?).

hals1
Old September 27, 2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Unicron

i have heard good things about primary arms. I have started suggesting their products to people who only pull their rifles out for range use.
Old September 27, 2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Webyshops.com

My vote is for the SPARC. Great little sight. Let me know if you would like a quote (just drop me an email).
Old September 27, 2010, 10:39 PM   #8
espnazi

Look at primary arms. they have a lot more feedback and seem to produce a great product.
Old September 28, 2010, 03:43 AM   #9
2ndchance

I've had one of these... they are crap. It lasted less than a month on my AR15. I had it warrantied and put it on my AR-22 conversion... it still failed. It held zero, but the electronics keep cutting in/out.

Go with one that has a better reputation. Save yourself the aggravation!

FWIW: I also have a Bushnell Trophy 1x32 MP. It was my Trijicon-wanabe clone.

For $144, I could not pass it up. Holds ZERO well. Looks nice. Has 3-dot sights right on top, both Red/Green reticles, and multiple brightnesses.

Had it for a year now and run it on a SBR. Still holding zero and only been through one battery change! Good stuff!