The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Nasty-G

+P

Dumb question ? What it +P ? Thanks.
Old September 24, 2007, 09:45 PM   #2
MDman

+p and +P+ are "hotter" loads. they are more powerful then normal factory ammunition and may not be suitable in all guns.
Old September 24, 2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Linear Thinker

+P stands for extra pressure. SAAMI publishes pressure specs for just about all cartridges, +P loads go beyond those. Recently, SAAMI started publishing +P specs for some cartridges, those specs are very conservative.
LT
Old September 24, 2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Nasty-G

+P

Thought that it was a pressure indicator. Don't want to go there. Thanks.
Old September 25, 2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Sevens

I've only heard of the plus-P designation used on a select few factory rounds that have been around a l-o-n-g time. Think .38 special, 9mm, .38 super-- each of these has been around like a hundred years, and +p ammo basically means that even though it's the same dimensions as the good old hundred year old round, it's meant strictly for modern firearms in good condition. And some modern firearms will even specifically warn against them. Some small frame and snubby revolvers will caution against the extended use of +P ammo in them.

Since most of us these days are shooting .38 special rounds from modern .357 magnum revolvers, it's not a huge concern. But if you are building rounds for Grandpa's old Colt, stick to the regular .38 special data and don't abuse the revolver with hot +P stuff.