The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 24, 2013, 10:18 PM   #26
tyme
Staff

Mandatory in the same way that math or science or english or history is mandatory? Yes. Mandatory in order to buy a gun? No.

I think the goal should be to increase firearm safety and general awareness of firearms, not to create a bureaucracy to manage gun training licenses.

It won't ever happen. Given the political climate, the last thing the liberals want is students being taught about guns in school. Kids are getting suspended for blowing bubbles at each other with hello kitty bubble guns.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 24, 2013, 10:25 PM   #27
terzmo

how many lawn mower,snow blower,chain saw, propane torch accidents have occured...when they have or suggest mandatory training on these items and other items any "joe shmoe" can buy then I'd be willing to consider it.

There is mandatory training for people wanting a driver's license....they still do stupid things and have accidents after the fact.

I'm old school....trained My children on firearms...the ones interested..no one forced. Bought My son a 12 gauge shotgun for his 12th birthday. He stored it in his room with ammo. Told him after training that if I EVER caught him screwing around with it, I'd take it away. When we shot it, I'd always suggest or make him shoot a few extra rounds. When he got home, he wanted to put that gun away and forget about it. I let him have it his way....after I told him to clean it. He's 37 now. My grandson knows where there are unlocked guns in My home. He has no interest in them and that's ok with me.

What I'm trying to get at is education starts at home.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:57 PM   #28
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Firearm education = good. Mandating firearm education = bad.
That sums it up for me. Personally, I'd like to see it as an available elective in high school.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:08 PM   #29
thallub

Deleted by thallub, erroneous!!

Quote:
That sums it up for me. Personally, I'd like to see it as an available elective in high school.
Same here.

Last edited by thallub; January 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:20 PM   #30
ScottRiqui

I think the "Bushmaster Auto Rifle" is something different entirely:

And this is the "Bushmaster Auto Pistol":

Old January 24, 2013, 11:23 PM   #31
thallub

I
Quote:
think the "Bushmaster Auto Rifle" is something different entirely:

Thanks, thats most likely the case..
Old January 24, 2013, 11:23 PM   #32
horatioo

Mandatory training to own a gun is equivalent to mandatory training before being allowed free speech.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:24 PM   #33
moparjames

When I was in Jr high school in the late eighties, Hunter safety was part on the PE class.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:24 PM   #34
horatioo

Anyone who supports mandatory training before owing a gun, would you accept mandatory government training before joining a church?
Old January 25, 2013, 01:35 AM   #35
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
would you accept mandatory government training before joining a church?
A lot of churches already have mandatory training before they will let you join, mine included. So I guess I have to agree since I joined it and all.

Quote:
Mandatory training to own a gun is equivalent to mandatory training before being allowed free speech.
We already have training for language and civics that is mandatory in the US.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:38 AM   #36
JohnKSa
Staff

No.

However, if the entire populace were required to take the class and the cost could be kept very reasonable--say $10 per person or less--I would probably not actively oppose such a measure.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:31 AM   #37
youngunz4life

I would not support it. I also believe it would come w/extra "baggage"
Old January 25, 2013, 06:59 AM   #38
mdcmn7

I Believe in training, but I think making it mandatory has some issues. Who makes the curriculum, who governs it, decides on cost, location, etc. If there is once class a year in California that costs 5k to join then that is certainly prohibitive. I am sure feinstein would love that.

Shall not be infringed

Gun owners should make it their own responsibility to be well trained

Sent from my Desire HD
Old January 25, 2013, 09:08 AM   #39
johnwilliamson062

I am far closer to agreeing to a $150 voting education course than a $150 firearms education course.

My right to self defense is a natural right. My right to vote is one granted by the government.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:41 AM   #40
JimPage

Gov Cuomo's bill that just passed in NY, the most draconian law of any state, has funds for firearms education in the schools... I'll bet my assault rifle that it is loaded with anti gun propaganda and not gun safety.

I would like to see a safety course similar to Hunter Education mandatory for all school children in the 8th or 9th grade, provided that the Hunter Education remains as it is and is not politicized. Finding good teachers will be a problem. Most certified teachers are not qualified to teach gun safety because of their ignorance of the subject matter. Also, many of the certified Hunter Education teachers are not good teachers, but what they do does no harm other than to confuse students.

Ideally we could find certified teachers who are hunters and/or shooters. Further, the course would not have to be Hunter Education -- I chose that initially because it has a lot of gun safety in it and it prohibits political discussion. But it is the only course I can think of that is readilly available.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old January 25, 2013, 09:43 AM   #41
Woody55

No.

Rather, you should disabuse them of the notion that a firearm is as complex as a jet fighter-bomber. A firearm is a lot simpler to operate safely than a car.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:57 AM   #42
horatioo

Poof, gone!

Last edited by horatioo; January 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:01 AM   #43
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Rather, you should disabuse them of the notion that a firearm is as complex as a jet fighter-bomber. A firearm is a lot simpler to operate safely than a car.
True, but it does not make it any less dangerous. The safety rules for firearms are much less complex and complicated than an automobile too. If everyone followed them there would be no gun "accidents".
Old January 25, 2013, 10:13 AM   #44
Rifleman1952

Whenever a friend, relative, neighbor or acquaintance tells me they are buying their first gun, I go out of my way to invite them to my gun club as a guest and orient them on the safe handling of a firearm. I always strongly encourage them to get more training from qualified instructors. However, I don't think such training should be "mandatory" for the purchase of a firearm.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:28 AM   #45
Skadoosh

tyme wrote:
Quote:
Mandatory in the same way that math or science or english or history is mandatory? Yes. Mandatory in order to buy a gun? No.
I concur with this version of the idea.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:52 AM   #46
Glenn E. Meyer

Let the high schools offer such a course as an elective. However, it should be mandated that every high school offer such a course. But not needed to own a gun.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:45 AM   #47
MLeake

Alabama Shooter, I don't know how old you are. I'm in my mid-40s, and went to high school in Florida. As of the mid-1980's, Florida had dropped civics from its required curriculum, and my high school did not offer it.

Also, high school US History started with Reconstruction, so a student who had transferred in from a different state might never have had US History covering the period when the Constitution was drafted.

As far as mandatory training for attending church, you mentioned you had undergone it - at the behest of your church, not the government.

That is entirely different than what horatioo asked, which was about accepting the government requiring you to attend training prior to church participation. So, would you like to refine your answer?
Old January 25, 2013, 01:02 PM   #48
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Let the high schools offer such a course as an elective. However, it should be mandated that every high school offer such a course. But not needed to own a gun.
Exactly. You can own a fleet of vehicles without a drivers lic.

ETA: Requirements for Florida High School Graduation:

Quote:
Three credits in social studies as follows: one credit in United States history; one credit in world history; one-half credit in economics; and one-half credit in United States government.
http://leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/inde.../1003.428.html

Maybe they don't call it civics anymore but they still have it.

Quote:
That is entirely different than what horatioo asked, which was about accepting the government requiring you to attend training prior to church participation. So, would you like to refine your answer?
I would. While a number of states offer religious education in public schools I do not think it should be madatory.

Last edited by Alabama Shooter; January 25, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:17 PM   #49
terzmo

The rifles shown above differ in shape and "potential" quantity of ammunition. None are available, legally, to the civilian population in "auto" People do not understand the difference between auto and semi auto. All guns with a capacity over one are semi auto. One trigger pull...one round expended.(Unless you have a single action and have to pull the hammer back,and I'm not going to confuse the average person further with it's operation) AUTO should not be used with any legal gun legally sold to the public. It's not right.

Most people will not register their long guns in NY. Black market sales will BOOM. People will still kill people. The SAFEACT is a joke and the proponents are ignorant in their quest to their own selfish agenda.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:00 PM   #50
KyJim

Would you condition voting upon passing a literacy test?

Literacy, like gun training, is a good thing. But gun ownership, like voting, is a right and not a privilege conditioned upon passing some government controlled standard.