The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 5, 2012, 06:07 PM   #51
jimbob86

Quote:
in which case an AR rifle is most likely going to fail you
Dunno 'bout that ...... my M16's worked pretty well in Graf, Wildflicken, and Hohenfels in Germany ...... and I don't think they ever scheduled FTX's without requesting rain and an extra dose of mud.....
Old September 5, 2012, 06:28 PM   #52
jimbob86

Quote:
So far I think Im wanting a M&P15 sport and the Savage in 308. Are there any realistic things those two rifles cant do?
Aside from it being a pain to lug both around at the same time, no, there's not many reasonable ballistic problems one of those two could not be used to solve, given proper fodder....

As to your choice of .45ACP- if you like it, shoot it! It's my favorite pistol caliber, as well, but it has gotten expensive, even to handload. I Carry a 9mm now, for economic reasons- I have 5 kids and a gun collection to feed- every penny counts.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:34 PM   #53
jimbob86

How much is the M&P Sport?

I put together a kit from Palmetto State Armory for less than $700 ..... Upper reciever had the barrel already installed, so the rest of it was really simple stuff.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ifle-kits.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...receivers.html

Items are often out of stock, but don't stay that way very long....
Old September 5, 2012, 06:37 PM   #54
marine6680

Yeah... I would say a basic PSA rifle is a good choice, better than the M&P sport. I have seen the PSA basic carbine selling recently for $700 as a complete rifle, no build needed.

In fact... I am looking real hard at using their parts to build 2 ARs how I want them set up.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:55 PM   #55
jimbob86

Quote:
In fact... I am looking real hard at using their parts to build 2 ARs how I want them set up.
I had been saving for a Colt LE6920..... had $700 of the $1200 or so needed, and figured out that I could put together a PSA kit that had everything but the grenade launcher cuts in the barrel and the prancing pony on the side ..... oh, and I got a heavier contour barrel, as well. No, it's not a Colt, but the PSA I have is better than a Colt I don't have.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:20 PM   #56
Stuohn

Ya, I couldnt imagine a need to carry both around at the same time. I just think the AR fills the gap between the Handgun and the Bolt Gun well.

I feel you on the cost of ammo part but, Ive been stocking up here and there with the 100rd value packs of Federal Champion ($31.35 OTD) at Walmart. I just remember the first time I ever made the bulls eye disappear at 7yds was a 45acp and havent looked back since.

I can't believe I forgot about PSA. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Stuohn; September 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:29 PM   #57
jimbob86

Stuohn-

.45 ACP is a really simple cartridge to handload, and being a low pressure round, the cases last a long time..... ordered in bulk, you can get jacketed bullets for 16-18 cents ea .....

https://www.montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist_order.php

use the brass you already bought ....... 3 cents worth of powder, 4 cents for a primer ....... 25 cents a round...... won't save you any money: you'll just shoot 120 rounds instead of 100.

When I started, I could get 230 gr plated bullets for less than 10 cents ea...... 1000 primers were like 14 bucks....
Old September 16, 2012, 08:31 PM   #58
Stuohn

Well in case anyone was wondering I finally made it to the gun show today and came home with these ( be nice).

Ruger Mini 30 tactical and a all black XDM 45 Compact 3.8 with night sights.

In my defense, I must have handled every AR/M4 rifle at the show and couldnt warm up to one but, really liked the feel of the mini.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:32 PM   #59
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've never found anything wrong with a Mini, insofar as my uses. It wasn't much for tight groups from the bench, but that's of no interest to me as a hunter. First shot on target was always very reliable.

Groups size is irrelevant for self-defense, should that ever become necessary. Minute of cranium is plenty good.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:27 PM   #60
Justice06RR

Quote:
Well in case anyone was wondering I finally made it to the gun show today and came home with these ( be nice).

Ruger Mini 30 tactical and a all black XDM 45 Compact 3.8 with night sights.

In my defense, I must have handled every AR/M4 rifle at the show and couldnt warm up to one but, really liked the feel of the mini.
Congrats. I think you did pretty well with those 2. Too bad you didn't like the AR's, but that may not be the right rifle for you.

Do you have any funds left? I highly suggest picking up a shotgun too to even out the collection. Post pics of the guns you bought btw.