The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
M1911fan

Need info on buying a hunting shotgun

Well im new to hunting and i wanted to know whats a good shotgun to hunt with? My cousin in going to take me duck hunting but i want to get my own gun because i don't like to borrow thing from others. He told me that a Remington is a good brand and it doesn't cost too much but I want to see what others brands are out there. Also there are different models of some shotguns and i dont really get which is for what. The only shotguns of i know are the Mossberg 500 & Remington 870.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:40 PM   #2
olddrum1

Browning BPS is not a bad pump gun also.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:58 PM   #3
COYOTE JLR

Welcome to the board bud. Hope this turns out to be a great experience for ya.

I guess when we start to talk about buying a gun we need to think about how much we want/can invest in it, and what we expect to do most with it.

That should ballpark us with at least a few different potential models and then the deciding factor should be what fits you best.

If you're primarily going to be duck hunting finding a shotgun that takes up to 3 1/2 inch shells would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Most people rarely if ever use them. Whether or not you do depends on what species of duck/goose are prevalent and what general range you can get them to. Mossberg 835, Remington 870 mag, and Benelli SuperNova are good choices that chamber up to 3 1/2.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Doyle

If you are interested in the 870, then spend the extra money and get the Wingmaster version and not the Express. The reason is that many people have reported rusting issues with the parkerized finish on the Express. Waterfoul hunting is done in a WET environment. That is hard enough on any finish let alone one that is already prone to rusting.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:57 AM   #5
zippy13

Greetings, M1911fan, and welcome aboard.

Do you have a budget in mind?

COYOTE JLR makes a good point. Since you're looking for a water fowl gun, remember you'll be shooting non-toxic ammo. If you plan to shoot steel instead of the much more costly hi-density ammo, then you may wish to consider a gun with a 3-1/2", or super-mag, chamber. Also, you may want to check-out an auto-loader set up specifically for water fowl.
Old September 10, 2009, 09:22 AM   #6
treefarmernc

+1 for the Wingmaster.
Old September 10, 2009, 09:35 AM   #7
ebutler462

A point to look at when buying a gun is availabilty of parts. Almost every gunsmith has Remington parts. It is a pain to wait around for parts. Take a remington into any gunsmith and they'll have you up and shooting in no time. These off brand foreign guns----good luck finding anything that will fit them.

Remington and Mossberg parts are easy to find and, even if they have to order them, come overnight. You might not think of parts when buying a new gun. Do think about it. I've waited months for Benelli parts and they are supposed to be the best. They probably are but their customer service is not the best.
Old September 10, 2009, 09:54 AM   #8
RoscoeC

I have a Wingmaster, and it is a thing of beauty. I also have 2 870 Express models. Next to the Wingmaster, they ain't pretty, but they have been 100% functional through a lot of shooting.

Personally, I am somewhat averse to hunting with finely finished firearms. Dings, scratches, dust, dirt and mud are inevitable parts of hunting, so I use guns that are more suited to that environment, and ones that won't cause my great concern when those things happen.

The Remington 870 Wingmaster, the 870 Express and the Mossberg 500 series will all serve you very well as a hunting weapon. The 870 Express is also available in 3 1/2" chamber as the Express Super Magnum.

Mossberg markets their 3 1/2" chamber pump as the 835 Ulti Mag.

Good luck, and welcome to the fun of hunting.
NRA Life Member
Old September 10, 2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Deerslayer12

mossberg

i have a mossberg 835 pump got it for around 300 something in 04 i love it its the best all around shot gun i have
Old September 10, 2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Doyle

Please put your location in your profile. Knowing where you live will help people give you better answers (and may just open up a good trade opportunity for you sometimes).
Old September 10, 2009, 01:08 PM   #11
BigJimP

The most important thing on a shotgun is "Fit" - so it hits where you look since your eye is the rear sight. So the dimensions on the stock - drop at comb, drop at heel are all critical - and different gun mfg's build to different dimensions. So not all shotguns will fit you ...

But the bigger names in pump guns - Remington, Browning, Benelli all make good guns ( $ 300 - $ 600 probably ). My personal choice is a Browning BPS Hunter model, with 28" barrel.

In semi-autos the bigger names come up again - Beretta, Benelli, Browning, etc ( and probably $ 800 - $ 1,500 ) depending on features, etc. I like the Benelli, 3" chamber is probably ok, 28" or 30" barrel is ok and I like the Benelli with the "comfort tech" recoil supression system in the synthetic stock.

There are also lots of used guns on the market - if your buddy can help you shop / or if you have a shop you know you can trust.
Old September 10, 2009, 04:40 PM   #12
M1911fan

Thanks for the info guys. Well i guess i should put more info out then i have, I live in CA, my max spending limit will be around 400,and it depends on how the trip goes i might be interested in hunting other animals, so i'll be look for something that has a lot of changeable parts. I'm pretty sure i want a pump shotgun though, im not really of a fan semi-auto shotguns, doesn't look right IMO.
Old September 10, 2009, 05:51 PM   #13
LanceOregon

Quote:
I live in CA, my max spending limit will be around 400 .....

.... I'm pretty sure i want a pump shotgun though, im not really of a fan semi-auto shotguns, doesn't look right IMO.

Looks have nothing to do with shotgun shooting or hunting. That should be the last of your considerations.

The only quality semiauto shotgun that I know of that normally sells within a $400 budget is the CZ Model 712. It would be worthwhile for you to check out, if you have an open mind to not having to pump your action and also experiencing less recoil:

See:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-712-semi-auto/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/11861

--
Old September 10, 2009, 11:14 PM   #14
Singlesix1954

I love pump shotguns. I cut my teeth on a Win 97, and grew up with a Rem. Wingmaster 870, but a few years ago I came across Benelli NOVA. It's awesome. I use it for Trapp, Turky hunting, Upland, and waterfowel.
If I were told that I could only have one shotgun, the NOVA would be the one I didn't stash in a secret location.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old September 10, 2009, 11:39 PM   #15
10-96

Also (not to cloud things up) but Stoeger makes side-by-sides and over-n-unders that wont break your bank. They're not for everyone, but I just thought I'd toss in my $.02. Either way, when you get one you'll be past the first step. Whether you keep it, sell it, or trade it- at least you'll have the equity in it as your experience grows and you discover where your likes and dislikes drift to. As far as pumps- a used Winchester 1300 is my favorite, then the Rem 870, and for some odd reason I've never had the Browning BPS but I've always wanted after the BPS 16ga.

And as far as parts- I honestly don't think a recreational hunter will wear out a shotgun. I used to worry about part availability until I started working on firearms a bit. I'm 41 yrs old and the old 1930-1940 something Stevens SxS I hunt with is still going strong with all of it's original parts. Not bashing earlier poster, but honestly just about any new reputable shotgun will likely outlast you.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 10, 2009, 11:47 PM   #16
M1911fan

Thx for all the help guys. I think ima go either with the Remington 870 or the Benelli nova.
Old September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM   #17
10-96

Good luck, good hunting, and have fun!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 11, 2009, 08:26 AM   #18
RamSlammer

Another sub $400 semi-auto to consider is the Baikal MP 153 (Now sold as Remington Spartan series at WalMart and other places). It's a well respected gun in Europe and built like a tank. Has been called the AK-47 of shotguns.

Mine is 7 years old and has been flawless despite very heavy use in some rough conditions. Also, the low cost leads to less worry about dinging it up. It shoots 2.75" through 3.5" shells and handles the heaviest 3.5" HV waterfowl loads very well. Has an adjustable gas baffle which can be tailored to the type of load you shoot most. (Can loosen it up to cycle light skeet loads better or tighten down to tame recoil on the big goose loads.)

My original intent was to have a "beater" gun for times I didn't want to risk messing up my Benelli. After a couple of years of not even using the Benelli, it got itself sold off and the Baikal now gets most of the duck and goose hunting duties.

Here's a vid of a guy torture testing one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GbVKwDfNU
and a link to buy one for $344: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/20752
Old September 11, 2009, 09:33 AM   #19
the rifleer

I support getting the wingmaster, the express i have heard have minor problems lately.

I have a mossberg 500. its uttertly reliable and will continue to work no matter what. I don't want to start a whole argument here, but in my opinion its the better shotgun between the two.
Old September 11, 2009, 11:00 AM   #20
SgtMeatballs

My first and only shotgun was the Benelli Supernova, which I picked up for around $300.00. I've hunted with this shotgun about 6 times so far, and it is light enough for walking around dense woods for hours without a sling, and has been more than capable of taking all game in my area. (dove, squirell, and hogs so far)

I'm not a big fan of wood guns, so the synthetic look was right up my alley too, though this is more of an opinion than a cold hard fact.

My friend's remington 870 is also a nice shotgun, though it does seem a bit heavier even with a shorter barrel.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Old September 11, 2009, 12:28 PM   #21
Doyle

That Benelli Nova is a fine gun and would serve you well. However, you need to be aware of the barrel cost for a Benelli. If all of your hunting needs would be served by using one barrel and just switching out chokes,then you would be OK with the Benelli. However, if you will be doing hunting that requires different barrels, then you need to be aware that Benelli barrels are a little hard to get and are quite expensive. I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying the Benelli - just help you make a truely informed decision.
Old September 11, 2009, 12:51 PM   #22
zombieslayer

my grandad hunted lots of waterfowl and swore by his Rem 1100
Old September 11, 2009, 01:03 PM   #23
Dustin0

I use a 870 Express mag. got a 3 inch chamber and choke tubes. Its a great all around shot gun I use it on waterfowl and trap just about anything.