The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 23, 2013, 11:59 PM   #26
Derius_T

I used to just shoot for fun nearly every day years ago when I was a bit healthier. I remember shooting .22 rifle nearly every day growing up, both for hunting and for fun, along with shotgun and recurve bow. It's just what you did back in the deep country areas I grew up in. That was entertainment.

Now, with ammo as expensive as it is, and severe health problems caused me to sell off most of my guns and ammo over the years to pay for medical bills, not too much. I did get to the range with a friend for the first time in years a few weeks ago. My handgun skills have deteriorated at an alarming degree. I was astonished how just plain bad it was. I was still capable of doing center mass evenly, but wow, was I surprised. One thing I did notice was that my rifle skills had not deteriorated nearly as much as my pistol skills. I was always a better rifle shot anyway, but there was very little loss of skill.

Anyone else find that to be true with diminishing skills? I tell you, if you are able, do some form of shooting as often as you can. The skill will go away, and you don't want to end up throwing snake eyes when your life or the life of a loved one depends on it.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:06 AM   #27
g.willikers

Hence, the recommendations for air guns in the garage, or back yard.
Yeah, I know, Nag, nag.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:23 PM   #28
WildBill45

Quote:
Going to the range is practice, not training.
It can be both! Just like training for a fight ... if you have ever done so ... you can train yourself once you reach a high level of performance. Practice is repeating over and over ... training is addressing specific skill sets, speed, endurance, and high level result, and imagination that takes you beyond the box. Some instructors are not as skilled as some students and have less experience...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old April 24, 2013, 08:59 PM   #29
Jammer Six

I reload, and since I started doing so, about 100 rounds a week. Training developed it's very own logistics tail, time-wise.

Wild Bill, I agree with you about instructors. The ranges I've taught at have included many instructors who didn't know what plunging fire or crossing targets are. Many of them taught slicing the pie, but few of them knew why it works or what to do if your enemy starts slicing your pie.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:49 PM   #30
Revolver1

I try to hit the range once a month. I'd like to go twice a month when weather breaks.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:43 PM   #31
dawg23

Quote:
In my mind, training has always implied having an instructor present.
Going to the range is practice, not training.
^^^^ You beat me to it.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:17 AM   #32
RBid

How much do you all train?

Before December, I was practicing pistol every week. 150 rounds, minimum. I supplemented with dry fire.

With the ammunition crunch in effect, I'm doing draw and dry fire work at least 30 mins per session, 3x/week. I'm down to shooting 50 rounds of .40 with my Glock 23 (Gen 3) every other week. Doing this, I have found that I have stayed very sharp with my Glock 19 (Gen 4), which is what I carry.

Draw practice for me is often like this:

- from my usual concealment position
- watch TV. Pick a person on the show.
- when the camera angle changes, draw and break the first shot on that person.

I want to get a Sig 250 or other DAO pistol to practice with, so I can work on rapid fire drills with snap caps.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:02 PM   #33
Justice06RR

Actual range time, about 30mins-1hr a week. At home I do a lot of handling and practice with my rifles when I can.

I wish ammo would come back in stock or else I'd be shooting more!
Old May 1, 2013, 09:22 PM   #34
Ruark

It's a good idea to just practice quickly drawing and firing, as you might do in a real life self defense situation. Of course, be sure the gun's empty. Then check again. Then check again. Carry it exactly as you do when you're CCW, and practice drawing and dry-firing as quickly as possible at a target, point shooting at about 10 feet. Do it until you can do it instantly, automatically, without thinking. This is what can save your life, not sitting at a bench casually blasting at a paper target while jabbering about a football game.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:34 AM   #35
CSG

I practice more than I "train". I practice my draw, I practice, shooting, I practice dry firing, and I practice (with a cleared weapon) clearing my house. Fortunately, where I live, practice is about all that's required.

Regular training like some schools teach is not only expensive, it expires quickly. It's worth doing now and then but for civilians it really is more of a fantasy camp.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:25 AM   #36
myusername

I work in low income property management. I train about once a month for scenarios we might encounter such as during evictions. We have cut way back on our training and recreational shooting though. From probably 400 rounds a month each, to about 100.

I also try to take a formal class each year even if it's just a one day NRA class. I've been through 4 multi-day courses over the years. Even though I went to Gunsite (my first class) 30 years ago, much of what I learned there is still with me.

Last edited by myusername; May 12, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old May 12, 2013, 01:18 AM   #37
Silver00LT

I try to practice quarterly for my yearly quals. Only one I can not practice for is with a gas mask on...sorry you're not going to catch me at the range wearing one. LOL

My stock has quadruple now so I may be trying to go at least once a week now for a magazine or two. Mostly to scrounge up brass. The range is 30 minutes away though.

The one I need to really REALLY practice more live fire is draw from concealed position.