The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 27, 2011, 06:38 PM   #101
Bill DeShivs

Here's an interesting analogy:
Guitar strings. Some are simply plain wire springs. As they go bad, they stretch just a little and then they break.
Perhaps there are micro fractures occurring along the length of a coil spring. If this is the case, I can understand a coil getting weaker-as the micro cracks are probably dispersed, causing the spring to become weaker long before it fractures.
Old August 27, 2011, 06:57 PM   #102
danez71

Quote:
It may be terminology that's messing with our heads, again -- and how we laymen interpret those words.
Yes. I agree.

What I gleemed from the conversation (we didnt discuss this specifically) is that "elastic limit" is referring to the point where rate of degradation really starts to fall off. Its not a hard # or %. Different materials, lengths, diameters etc etc will have different results.

And the atmosphere at which they opperate in will impact all of this too.

It really seems like we should be useing the term "elastic range" instead of "elastic limit". Leaving "elastic limit" to reference when there is no more elasticity because it has reached, or exceeded, its elastic limit.

A gun mfg that recommends changing the springs every 1000 cycles vs 5000 just has an over all design that has the spring operating deeper into the elastic range.

For the record:
The engineer contact I referred to works at Hughes Space and Comm in El Segundo CA. They have applications on land, sea, air, LEO/MEO/GEO satellites, as well as outer space applications.

They do not have firearm applications..... at least that he knows of

Tags
1911 , develop , glock , spring