The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 21, 2000, 12:35 AM   #1
JJCII

Does anyone have any tips on installing/replacing Kimber's plastic main spring housing? I am thinking of getting a SA magazine chute-mainspring housing combo and installing it myself.

TIA
jjc2
Old January 21, 2000, 04:14 AM   #2
oberkommando

There is something about plastic that just dont seem right on a 1911. Someone here can probably give you some real advise thats usefull. See ya
Old January 21, 2000, 08:00 AM   #3
Bud Helms

JJCII,

I installed the S&A mainspring housing with enlarged mag well opening on a full-sized Springfield 1911.

I personally use the arched housing. It doesn't throw my point of aim high and it fills my hand. The model I chose has the cross-hatch pattern.

It was easy and I can recommend it.

Sensop

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old January 21, 2000, 08:15 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

JJCII, just keep in mind that replacement housings are not always "drop-in". That seems to be a little different in every 1911 I fool with. Sometimes the base or top of the enlarged mag well will need to be relieved a little in order for the housing to fully seat. Other times the housings are too wide to fit into the recess and have to be fitted. Other than that there aren't any real tricks. I like the S&A housings. I've also found that a lot of my customers like the Ed Brown Wedge and the Wilson Speed Chute. George
Old January 21, 2000, 10:09 AM   #5
ShooterDave

jjc2:

I installed an EdBrown wedge which I really love. It keeps the gun locked into your hand and has not adversly affected the gun's pointability in my case. The particular Ed Brown housing I got fit the Kimber w/ no difficulty.

Beware when removing the plastic mainspring housing! When I did, the tiny mainspring retaining pin busted out of the top of the housing and hence out of my personal universe--I still can't figure out where it went and the gun was out of commision for a week until I could get another pin. Amazing how important such a small part can be.

[This message has been edited by ShooterDave (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old January 21, 2000, 12:48 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Dave,

Could that kind of thing possibly be the reason people don't like plastic mainspring housings?

Jim
Old January 21, 2000, 12:59 PM   #7
ShooterDave

Jim.

I'll go out on a limb and say, "yer darn tootin"
Old January 21, 2000, 03:29 PM   #8
EQUALIZER

If you like the lightweight of plastic, but want metal instead, I'd recommend Caspian Arms Aluminum ms h. They come in all options, depending on what you want....Al, Steel, checkered, even blank if you want to stipple it. I don't have the link or phone # handy, but you can order it direct. Brownells carries some of their parts too. They might have it.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Old January 21, 2000, 05:21 PM   #9
45 Fan

Just replaced my Kimbers plastic mainspring housing with a new Smith & Alexander made out of aluminum. Dropped right in with no fitting required.
Old January 22, 2000, 01:34 PM   #10
JJCII

Thank you all for your responses, as today is the day I'll be going to the gun show to purchase the part. As suggested, I'll keep my stones handy in case I need to make some minor fit adjustments. Again, thanks.

jjc2
Old January 22, 2000, 07:19 PM   #11
motorep

Based on what I saw at the gunshow this morning, I'd be surprised if you found anything close to what you were looking for. New stuff,overpriced, old/broken/used stuff overpriced even more. I walked in with $600, I walked out with $600, went and bought a new fly rod. Call Denny's or Brownells.
Old January 25, 2000, 01:07 AM   #12
JJCII

motorep;

I hear you. I did the same thing, except I did pick-up a CRKT P.E.C.K. pocket knife. Oh well, guess I'll check Brownell's as suggested.

jjc2