The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 29, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
jaragon

Best $300 to $400 scope

I am looking for my best bet for a scope for my TC Venture 308 Win. I need something for hunting and shooting probably no further than 600 yds. I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch 4-16x50 it seems pretty clear and runs $399.99 in the BDC recticle
Old March 1, 2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Clark

After killing 12 deer out to 500 yards, I am trying to get my kill radius out from 500 yards to 600 yards.

I have been using an $800 range finder, a Leica CRF 1600.
I have been wearing binoculars harnessed to my chest.
I have been carrying a GPS.
I have been carrying Kestrel wind meter.

2007 - 2009: I have been shooting a pre 64 M70 I rebarrelled to 270 with a 2x7 Leupold scope with elevation turret and a bipod.
2010: I have been shooting a Ruger #1 in 7mmRM with 1.75x6 Leupold scope with elevation turret and a bipod.
2011: I have been shooting a VZ24 I rebarrelled to 7mmRM with a 3x10 Kahles scope with an elevation turret, a bipod, and a rear bag.

All three rifles have killed with the scope on the highest power and the lowest power.

I have shot the deer with hold over.
I have shot the deer with elevation knob adjustment.

I make a chart by using a chronograph and Quickload software feature Quicktarget.

What does it all mean?
Hitting things at 600 yards entails more than just buying a scope.
Those first two above scopes were used and in the price range you specified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leica CRF 1200 and chart from Quickload.jpg (65.6 KB, 47 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 1, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3
603Country

I agree with Clark. As for me, I don't shoot at 600 or even 500 yards, but seem to get a few pig shots at 400 from time to time. Take your basic 270 with a 130 grain boattail bullet at about 3000 fps and sight it in at 200 yards. Your 300, 400, and 500 yard bullet drops will be, respectively, about 7 inches, 20 inches, and 40 inches. I can shoot with country boy holdover to about 400 or a bit more and expect to hit what I'm shooting at (if the wind isn't too bad and I know the actual distance). At 500 yards, my success percentage drops considerably and I generally won't even shoot at that range. At 600 yards, I'm out of the game with the gear I have. If I really wanted to shoot at 600, I'd have to go to the next level in scope and rangefinder. That isn't cheap. I think the first scope I'd look at would be the Leupold 6.5-20X50 and be sure that it had the varmint hunter reticle. That'll cost you close to $1000. Of course, there are many other scope choices (which you will soon hear about), but they'll all be pretty expensive. As for the Nikon, I'm not fond of the circles they use for BDC. Happily, I'll bet that some folks on this forum are already successfully doing exactly what you want to do, and they'll have info on just what you need and what it'll cost.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:11 PM   #4
tobnpr

Vortex Viper, in whatever magnification fits your needs.
Best value on the market. Best customer service.
Old March 1, 2012, 04:57 PM   #5
plumbercrack

You might want to check these out. They are just as good or better than Nikon. They are also US companies.

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/8563

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/2659
Old March 2, 2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

You cannot go wrong with the Nikon. I won a couple of Monarchs and they are clear, bright and hold their zero very well. I don't believe their are any better scopes out there for the money.