The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 30, 2010, 11:58 PM   #76
sakeneko

My husband and I don't have any children. When we are at home alone, his carry gun sits on the nightstand at night. His vision is better than mine, and his ability to wake up alert is better. My carry gun is put away in my office next to the bedroom, because I am essentially blind at night. Until I put on glasses and wake up a bit, I shouldn't use a gun. We also have a home defense shotgun that is loaded, but without a round in the chamber, and kept in the bedroom closet on a high shelf where it is easily reachable.

If children are visiting, all guns are unloaded and locked up (including the shotgun), or we are wearing them. Since the apartment is fairly small, we haven't had overnight guests, so the issue of what to do about our carry guns hasn't been an issue so far.
Old May 11, 2010, 02:44 PM   #77
twobit

I keep it far enough away from the bed so that I am awake enough to not be a hazard to myself or my wife once I reach it. There is also a 70 pound Weimarainer sleeping in bed with us that would already be awake. Plus we sleep upstairs and the house is in the middle of a ranch five miles from town.

Reminds me of a running joke we (LEO's) have with our firefighter friends as to why police carry guns but firemen dont....
Firemen at a firehouse are awakened from a dead sleep in the middle of the night by an extremely loud station tone-out klaxon. They jump into their bunker gear and head out to the emergency within moments of being awakened. Imagine a building full of sleeping police being awakened by that klaxon with all of them wearing pistols or having them on their bed tables.
There would be some shots fired at the station house in the middle of the night and that klaxon would be toast!

Seriously, I dont want a gun in my hand two seconds after I am startled awake.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:37 PM   #78
chrisbarcelo

About three seconds away from my bed. I dont want to be holding my gun half awake.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:45 PM   #79
jeepstrapped

15 rounds of Winchester Silvertip 155 grain jacketed hollowpoints

pt 24/7 pro in .40 S&W

In a nightstand by the bed
Old May 21, 2010, 12:01 AM   #80
Dolsak

My Grandma would keep my Grandpa's 1911 on the nightstand, and everytime he would go on a long trip, she would put a loaded magazine between the mattresses.
Old June 10, 2010, 03:47 PM   #81
Don P

Thunder wear.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:01 PM   #82
BGutzman

(This is only a funny (joke) and no part of this is real whatsoever.)

Claymores rigged to the front and rear doors, flood lights scanning yard and wife denied coffee......
Old June 10, 2010, 04:09 PM   #83
MarineCorpsAT

Glock 19 15 in the mag and one extra mag right next to it in wife's nightstand, Sig 556 with 30 in the mag right next to my side of the bed.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:20 PM   #84
dnr1128

At night I put my pistol in the nightstand. When I get up I put it up, since I have a 3 year old son who could get into the nightstand.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:43 PM   #85
nefprotector

I live alone no kids, etc. I keep my pistol @ the head of my bed, under the mattress. The Shotgun is under my bed on the safe side or propped in the corner.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:59 PM   #86
JasonWilliam

Wife and I (no kids) live in a four level house, that follows up the line of a hill. Front door entry is on the bottom floor and is where the living room kitchen and dining rooms are. Half a flight up is the garage entry with 1st bathroom. 180 deg turn and half a flight up again is the 2nd bathroom and 1st bedroom. Another 180 deg turn and another half a flight up one more time gets you to the master. The master windows are a full 15 feet off the ground.

The way we figure it, someone entering at night to steal something is going to rummage around down below us. So we keep a loaded but not chambered HD shotgun under and at the foot of the bed. Idea here is the racking of it, preceded by a "Listen up MFer'" followed by a "GTFO" is probably going to be enough to scare away the baddies.

If not, and/or if they're set on violence, the wife takes the shotgun and I've got a loaded and chambered 1911 with a Surefire in my nightstand. I turned one of the lower drawers over, creating a sort of shelf that the gun sits on and stays. Easy to reach without moving something out of the way, but also protected from the half awake grab for water off the nightstand.

We plan to add another handgun in the future for her; something she chooses and likes to shoot with. We'll do the same shelf/drawer turn over when that time comes.

Not sure if this is the best way to do things, and I hope we never need to find out. But we took our time, experimented and so far this setup seems to make both of us feel comfortable, and rest well.

Last edited by JasonWilliam; June 10, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old June 10, 2010, 05:03 PM   #87
indykappa

no kids yet, but i have given this some thought (because they will be here in the next few years, lord willing)...

i would keep my maverick 88 12 gauge behind my headboard with the tube full but nothing in the pipe

i would also have a pistol (probably my S&W 5904) loaded and in a flimsy nylon holster for quick access (while sleeping...if its not on my hip)

all of my other firearms will be locked away in a nice gun vault/safe.

i am certain that the minute my wife mentions that she is pregnant, the "where will you put your guns?" discussion will take place
Old June 11, 2010, 11:21 AM   #88
Barbicatter

Under the covers on my right side, the grip within finger tip reach. I lay very still when I sleep. I guess that comes for years of training from cats. They don't like it when you disturb thier rest position.
My husband keeps his on the night stand since he flops like a tuna all night.
Old June 11, 2010, 12:28 PM   #89
KingEdward

to the left of my bed I keep a smith 686 3 in revolver in
the second drawer of the night stand near the back of the drawer
under a folded up towel.

In the dark I can quietly open the drawer and reach in and
get it with no noise or getting up.

I have a daughter who is 11 but there are no issues while we're
asleep.

She has been taught and knows where the firearm(s) are kept.

She currently owns and practices with a pellet rifle.
Old June 11, 2010, 12:39 PM   #90
sserdlihc

Somewhere I can get to it very quickly.