The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 22, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1
papershotshells

Browning BLR stock refinish. Any idea??

Gentlemen,

My Dad has a Browning BLR lever gun that my brother and I bought hom for his birthday several years ago. It's his favorite gun, by far. It's also beautiful, or it least it was.

Unfortunately, during a recent move to a new house, the BLR was knocked over and suffered a pretty good dent/scratch in both the wood forearm and buttstock.

Due to the sentimental value of this gun, we're going to ship it back to Browning to have the wood returned to factory finish. I contacted Browning today and got instructions for shipping the gun to their repair facility in Arnold MO, but they were unable to give even a ballpark quote over the phone for a simple refinish on the stock. I'm not sure if they'll refinish the stock or replace it, whatever it takes to return it to factory looks.

No matter the cost, we're having the gun restored to original condition, but I was wondering if anyone had something similar done by Browning and could give me a rough neighborhood of cost?

I really have no idea what to expect, not that it matters.

Any input or educated guesses appreciated.

Thanks

Papershotshells
Old January 22, 2014, 06:44 PM   #2
PetahW

To minimize your labor costs, I would sugggest removing the buttstock from the receiver & send them just the wood.

Old January 25, 2014, 06:26 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I would just send the wood, and chances are, you may just get a new stock, instead of them finishing the old one, especially if that was made when they had the salt drying problems.
Old January 25, 2014, 08:32 PM   #4
papershotshells

Thanks for the input gents, I plan to send the wood instead of the rifle, to save on shipping.

FWIW, I don't think this was from the salt problem era, at least as far as I can tell. It's a very nice piece of wood (and had a beautiful finish before the mishap) and I hope we can get it refinished rather than replaced.

Papershotshells
Old January 26, 2014, 02:01 PM   #5
William T. Watts

I think sending only the wood is a bad idea, if the wood is to badly damaged to refinish they will need the barreled action to inlet a new stock. Sounds like a half way solution to your problem!! William