The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 26, 2008, 01:03 PM   #76
ecd1211

I have a Remington 870 HD under the bed -- one #4 buck shell chambered, six more in the mag, safety on. I live alone (except for two four-legged housemates) and seldom have visitors with children. I have a Surefire forend (I know many people despise lights on a weapon, but I like the option of being able to put some light on an area before I pull the tigger).

I also have a Glock 22 with 15 rounds in the mag and an empty chamber in a GunVault safe bolted to my night stand (and another full magazine also in the safe). The safe stays open at night and it's locked up when I leave the house. I have a Surefire X300 light on the G22. (I also keep a Glock 19 with an extra mag -- and empty chamber -- in my car -- disguised in an empty daytimer book on the floor of the back seat.)

I live in a 3000 sq ft house in a gated community on the edge of an urban area. Crime rates are low, but someone has to be the statistic and I'd rather be prepared.

I agree with others who have stated that if someone is purely after your stuff, they'll break in during daylight when the house is most likely empty. If someone invades your home when it's most likely you're home, they should be aware that they are risking their life -- especially here in Texas, where a high percentage of homeowners are armed.
Old October 26, 2008, 03:36 PM   #77
Katrina Guy

just watched Hitchock's...

"THE BIRDS", so fouey with the BG's, I keeping my shotgun loaded with Bird Shot-rowdy birds hell bent on taking over are the real threat. Uh oh, left myself wide open on this one, waiting for you know who to come down on me for shooting a rowdy bird intruder instead of hiding under the bed with my phone hand shaking calling for help.
GOOD info Scattergun Bob regarding gun safety, to play it safe when I obtain the Mossberg I plan on keeping it unchambered as it's very easy to chamber when needed. Honestly just assumed all modern firearms, shotguns included, were drop proof, apparently not. A good thing to know!
Old October 26, 2008, 03:42 PM   #78
Creature

Quote:
1) You find someone in your house you shoot them and ask questions later?
Yep. In my home, invaders/intruders are shot on sight...no questions asked...before or after.

Quote:
If anyone is willing to walk up the yard past 2 pickup trucks, one is my 4X4 full size, and my wife's 4 door sedan... stepping over 2 pairs of man size work boots to enter my home he has a plan for the "WHAT IF" scenario of being caught and cornered and I bet dollars to doughnuts they don't include shakin' hands and apologizing!
Anyone entering my home while it is occupied is a home invader and shall be treated as such!
This pretty much sums up why no questions will be asked.
Old October 27, 2008, 01:43 PM   #79
FyredUp

Quote:
Katrina Guy: "THE BIRDS", so fouey with the BG's, I keeping my shotgun loaded with Bird Shot-rowdy birds hell bent on taking over are the real threat. Uh oh, left myself wide open on this one, waiting for you know who to come down on me for shooting a rowdy bird intruder instead of hiding under the bed with my phone hand shaking calling for help.
GOOD info Scattergun Bob regarding gun safety, to play it safe when I obtain the Mossberg I plan on keeping it unchambered as it's very easy to chamber when needed. Honestly just assumed all modern firearms, shotguns included, were drop proof, apparently not. A good thing to know!
Dude,

Seriously, let it go. Three or 4 days ago I agreed that you are right and you can do whatever you want. Why do you feel the constant need to make fun of anyone who has a different idea than yours? Frankly, at this point you look like either a spoiled child, an [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], or someone with severe anger management issues. I dropped trying to show why I disagreed with you, how about you leave me out of it now?

Either way YOU are keeping this silliness alive, not me.
Old October 27, 2008, 02:01 PM   #80
FyredUp

Quote:
Creature:

Quote:
1) You find someone in your house you shoot them and ask questions later?

Yep. In my home, invaders/intruders are shot on sight...no questions asked...before or after.

Really? On sight. No questions asked? What if their back is to you when you discover them? Do you shoot them in the back or make a noise so they turn before you shoot them? If it really is shoot on sight then a shoot them in the back as they walk away from you should be perfectly justifiable to you...Right? I would love for you to explain to the cops how you feared for your life with the intruder going away from you...

Quote:
If anyone is willing to walk up the yard past 2 pickup trucks, one is my 4X4 full size, and my wife's 4 door sedan... stepping over 2 pairs of man size work boots to enter my home he has a plan for the "WHAT IF" scenario of being caught and cornered and I bet dollars to doughnuts they don't include shakin' hands and apologizing!
Anyone entering my home while it is occupied is a home invader and shall be treated as such!
This pretty much sums up why no questions will be asked.

Again, if that person is going away from you, say with your tv in his hands heading for the door, you are going to shoot him in the back for being in your home. Remember you shoot on sight, no questions asked. "Honest your honor I felt my life was threatened. He had a loaded tv in his hand ready to fire. I couldn't wait for him to turn and get the drop on me now could I?" Its tough to have a rigid doctrine that you claim you will follow. Because if you follow it in every situation what I described here is exactly what could happen.
Shoot to kiill if myself or my family is threatened, I mean really threatened, of course I will. Kill someone simply for being there when I may be able to control the situation without firing a shot, sorry, no.

I am not suggesting what you should do, nor really do I care what you do. But, since you dragged me into this after I clearly stated that everyone should do what is right for them demanded a response.
Old October 27, 2008, 03:42 PM   #81
Creature

Quote:
Really? On sight. No questions asked? What if their back is to you when you discover them? Do you shoot them in the back or make a noise so they turn before you shoot them? If it really is shoot on sight then a shoot them in the back as they walk away from you should be perfectly justifiable to you...Right? I would love for you to explain to the cops how you feared for your life with the intruder going away from you...

Not sure who wrote this....it looks like a post was deleted maybe. Or someone doesnt know how to use the quote button correctly.

But I meant what I said. On sight. No questions. Bang. Unless of course the invader/s can drop to the deck...spread eagle, before I can pull the trigger.

A home invader has said everything that needs to be said by breaking and entering in to my home while I am still in it. It doesn't matter which way he is facing. I will not be further quizzing him on his intentions...or whether he is carrying a weapon that I cant see. He has demonstrated his willingness to commit a home invasion. Just by being there, the home invader has completed two sides of the lethal force triangle: 1) opportunity and 2) intent.

I will assume he is armed because I have ensured that it will require a fair amount force and a tool of some kind to enter my home. A tool that most assuredly could be used as a weapon, whether it is a screwdriver or a hammer. There is the third leg of the triangle: 3) capability.

Thus completes the lethal force triangle....that means "batteries release" in my book.

Also, I will not be compromise what little, if any, advantage I may have over this intruder (and possibly his accomplices) by verbally confronting him. It is not my responsibility to ask him to leave my home since I never invited him into my home. The only warning he will get, if he gets any at all, will come from his conscience.

Once he/they makes it out of my home with said TV under arm or not, only then can he/they be reasonably sure that they will escape with their life. And that is only because they are running as fast as they can for their lives.
Old October 27, 2008, 05:40 PM   #82
Katrina Guy

Let it go? you're he one...

posting everyone who differs from your lock yourself in the closet and call 911 belief. Son-of-a-milso-vitch.
Old October 27, 2008, 09:54 PM   #83
FyredUp

Quote:
Katrina Guy: posting everyone who differs from your lock yourself in the closet and call 911 belief. Son-of-a-milso-vitch.
Do you heqar yourself? You are saying that everytime I post it affects you in some way. Dude you are a freaking egomaniac. If I am not specifically posting to you, or quoting you, or defending myself against your childish onslaught I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU.

Grow up you silly insignificant child and leave me alone.
Old October 27, 2008, 09:56 PM   #84
FyredUp

Creature:

I wrote it. Convenient that you chose to avoid my shoot them in the back question. WHY? If you are a shoot at first sight that is entirely possible isn't it?
Old October 27, 2008, 10:03 PM   #85
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't wanna shoot anyone, let alone in the back. I would likely give a nice "PSSST" to get 'em to turn towards me. Once he has turned towards me he has engaged me thus fully ruling out any legal problems with the shooting of the home invader. Florida law really gave the right to defends one self inside their home back to the occupant. I am not worried about the DA or LEO's Reading these posts as they wouldn't waste their time trying to indite me for trial. this area is really not a place where the invader and subsequent death of him gets much pity.
Brent
Old October 27, 2008, 10:30 PM   #86
dabigguns357

Hey hogdogs your right no pity should be given and that goes for any state.Yesterday,here in my not so high crime town a man was shot for breaking into another mans car.As the story goes the b/g was attempting to break in the owners car when the owner came out and confronted the b/g.The bad guy came at the owner and tried to attack the owner,b/g was shot and killed at the scene.I'll try and find more on this story and fill in the blanks.

Better to have a gun stuck your hip than one stuck to your head.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:05 PM   #87
FyredUp

hogdogs, dabigguns,

I see your point and I agree with your positions.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:16 PM   #88
Tatsumi67

I dont have a dedicated home defense gun, but I keep my 120 under my bed with a snap-cap in the chamber and a box of 00s near it.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old October 28, 2008, 08:22 AM   #89
Creature

Quote:
Convenient that you chose to avoid my shoot them in the back question. WHY? If you are a shoot at first sight that is entirely possible isn't it?
I didnt avoid your question...in fact, I was very clear on my position when I wrote "...on sight. No questions asked.". That's pretty clear.

I also wrote that if I do catch sight of an invader in my home, that invader had better be on his way down to the deck, spread eagle, before I can pull the trigger....and he had better be begging for his life. If he does that, I might be inclined NOT to shoot.

I further wrote that if the invader manages to get out of my home, he can be reasonably sure that I wont shoot as he runs for his life. Since you are unable to comprehend what I mean by that, it means that I wont be shooting him in the back as he runs away from me.

To sum this up once again...as long as there is an invader actually IN MY HOME, he is a target.

Lemme guess...you didnt completely read my response before you wrote your knee-jerk reaction, right?
Old October 28, 2008, 11:03 AM   #90
FyredUp

Creature,

Yes I did read it. I have no knee jerk reaction to this debate at all. I have spent many hours thinking and planning what I will do and running scenarios over and over in my head. My plan is mine and while you and others take afront at justifying what you will do I have been called a coward and worse by others here. I asked a simple question...Does your shoot at first sight include shooting someone in the back? Because clearly if you ask no questions and shoot on sight that is a real possibility. Your anger or frustraion at my asking makes me believe that particular scenario had not been thought of by you.

Frankly, I don't care what you do. But as for me, I will not be shooting anyone in the back.
Old October 28, 2008, 11:45 AM   #91
Creature

I am neither angry or frustrated by your asking...nor did I "take affront" by explaining why I will do what I said in that situation. I too have thought long and hard at what I am prepared to do and not do in the event of a home invasion.

I simply stated that I am not prepared to risk my life or the life of any of my family by asking an invader to drop what he is carrying and put his hands up. I never implied that doing anything else that what I outlined is cowardly. Niether did I call you anything worse.

I believe you feel very strongly about what you will do, and I dont not aim to change that. I simply stated what I am prepared to do to protect my life from the home inavder of today.
Old October 28, 2008, 06:22 PM   #92
Katrina Guy

I'll be dammed...

...if I'm going to order the home invader to drop my 25" television set, and break it! May ask him while he has it in his hands to, well, I've been thinking of re arranging my living room for some time anyway.
Of course, thinking of the 25" television set swipping scanario, ugh...ok, so let's see, BG enters in, you don't hear him enter of course, he's in the dark presumably, unplugs the ac outlet to the tv set, unplugs the cable box, possible dvd connection, possible additional speakers, wraps up the ac wire as to not trip on it, risk a hernia picking it up, and the whole time no one in the home hears this? You won't have to shoot him in the back, I figured it out, if the tv set's screen is 25" that means that the overall diminsions are considerably larger, pop him as he turns sideways to exit through the door, BINGO, argument solved. "Murderer" as I recall was an earlier response post for home defensive measures.
Old October 28, 2008, 07:03 PM   #93
Wayward_Son

Quote:
*LEGAL DISCLAIMER.... DO NOT TAKE THIS AS ADVICE!!!!
I keep mine loaded fully, 5 in the tube and one in the pipe safety on... 18 inch barrel standard stock mossberg 500 in 20 gauge.... This pic is already posted on TFL...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...g/P1010020.jpg
No extra shells on standby normally but out of laziness there could be some left on the night stand...
Brent
I hadn't seen this thread until now, but this is priceless:

A black Mossy 500, a semi pistol stuck into Homer's mouth,, a handgun case with some locks and other assorted gear, a book on the evil of human nature, a lottery ticket, a model of a Mustang (Shelby?), a father-son picture of what appears to be hockey trophies, AND...

A BIG PINK LAMP!

I love it.

I'm single, never married. I live by myself with two cats to keep me company. Apartment, second floor. I keep my Remington 870 Express Turkey (21" barrel, 12ga, laminate wood stock because camo is disgusting and pistol/thumbghole stocks are sacrilege) loaded with one round of #4 buck in the chamber, two more in the tube, and then two rounds of 00 buck behind those in the tube. Safety is off but I leave the pump slightly released so that if I pick it up by the pump it automatically locks itself in and I'm ready to go. I'm severely near-sighted and I don't own glasses. The last thing I need to fumble with besides contacts or a lamp switch is a safety. I want to be able to pick it up and shoot. I probably wouldn't keep it in this condition if I had others living with me, but for my situation this is my preferred method.
Old October 28, 2008, 07:05 PM   #94
Scattergun Bob

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT I AM READING ABOUT SHOOTING PEOPLE IN THE BACK ON THIS FORUM!

What is wrong with you folks, do you not see that DEFENSE is this forums goal, shooting some one in the back IS NOT DEFENSIVE. Quite frankly, I do not care if you end up in prison because of your ego or new color TV, you will or will not pay for that in a court of your peers. What I do care about is that we who stand for the RESPONSIBE ownership of firearms, do not advocate or comport ourselves in THE SAME manner as those we are trying to protect our families from!

For those whom may read this and have not expressed such ideas, I apologize for the severity, THIS TYPE OF WRITTING is the death card to us all.

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; October 28, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old October 28, 2008, 07:23 PM   #95
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattergun Bob
CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT I AM READING ABOUT SHOOTING PEOPLE IN THE BACK ON THIS FORUM!

What is wrong with you folks, do you not see that DEFENSE is this forums goal, shooting some one in the back IS NOT DEFENSIVE. Quite frankly, I do not care if you murder someone because of your ego or new color TV, you will or will not pay for that in a court of your peers. What I do care about is that we who stand for the RESPONSIBE ownership of firearms, do not advocate or comport ourselves in THE SAME manner as those we are trying to protect our families from!

For those whom my read this and have not expressed such ideas, I apologize for the severity, THIS TYPE OF WRITTING is the death card to us all.
+1 Nice to see someone's still focused.
Old October 28, 2008, 07:34 PM   #96
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In the pic is BMX trophies from when junior was 4. The red box is a knife sharpening set. the gun locks were freebies from the Sheriffs Dept. which I use for trailer locks and other low security needs...
The lamp... well it, like all my other lamps was free from some where as I can't justify forty bucks for a 3 dollar chinese piece of crap...
But if it trips yer trigger or flips yer skirt I am cool with that!
Brent
Old October 28, 2008, 08:59 PM   #97
USA123456789

Coldfusion. I have a mossberg 500 too. I have 25 3in mags with 00 buck the only way someone who tries to break into this house is not coming out unscaved. God forbid i ever have to use it
Old October 28, 2008, 09:00 PM   #98
Katrina Guy

Here, Here, as the Brits would say

You are right Scattergun, most of the shooting in the back was all some sort of crazy out to lunch scanario created by someone with a prized color television set, so ludecrus a few of us posted about it after the fact-sort of for a laugh as it appeared so silly.
Old October 28, 2008, 09:28 PM   #99
Nnobby45

Sad to see a thread that started off with some semblance of maturity taken over by back and forth bickering intellectual prepubscents.
Old October 28, 2008, 11:00 PM   #100
onthejon55

I keep one in the chamber because i dnt want the BG to hear the shucking then go hide in my house somewhere or hurt a member of my family that might be up wondering around at this point. i want to flick a switch then shoot him dead because idk wat he is in my house for but i am going to assume it is to do me harm
Closed Thread