The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 13, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Trapp

HP, FP, and Keith Style

Can somebody break down the pro's and con's? I will be using a 44mag for deer this year (out of a 7.5" bbl SBH)
Old July 13, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Scorch

HPs- Open quickly, deliver energy in a very short distance. Pros- For thin-skinned or lightly built animals or small game, it will cause rapid delivery of energy and often stop inside the animal. Cons- rapid expansion causes extensive tissue damage, HPs do not penetrate deeply so they may not make it to the vitals from some angles.

FP- Good for medium penetration. Pros- Good for medium game, can penetrate to vitals from extreme angles, typically penetrates completely leaving good blood trail. Cons- May overpenetrate causing secondary damage to other animals behind the target.

Keith style- large flat point delivers energy well, but little expansion due to harder lead. Pros- good penetration on heavier game animals, usually penetrate completely leaving a good blood trail. Cons- be careful what is behind your target, not jacketed so they may cause barrel leading.
Old July 13, 2007, 08:30 PM   #3
22-rimfire

I'd go with semi-jacketed soft points with your 44 mag on whitetail deer. I use the XTP hollow points with my 480 Ruger on deer, but they pretty much zip right through anyway. More than likely the 44 will go through too depending on what bones you hit.
Old July 14, 2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Trapp

Well, due to my circumstances I will stick with the 240gr XTP's. The deer here rarely reach 150lbs....