The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Coach Z

New SR22 range report

I bought a new sr22 on friday because i've been looking for a new plinker. I bought a p22 almost a year ago and I bought a Beretta Neos in december but something about the sr22 really caught my eye.

Some people have described it as a new and improved p22 and I can't disagree but that's an understatement, the fit and finish on this gun is really top notch.

I ran 350 rounds of mixed, mini mags, federal bulk and remington 550 pack through it and not a single failure. My only prep was took it out of the box wiped the surface oil off of it and put a couple drops of clp on the rails with the slide locked back and then went to town.

I switched to the larger grip and the finger extension on the mags after about 50 rounds and I like the fit much better. The only bad thing I can find is that with the larger grip installed it took just a little more force to seat the mags, I may not have seated the new grip all the way. Wasn't enough of a problem to investigate further. Anyway anyone pondering a new .22 out of the walther beretta and ruger, hands down I'd take the ruger.....in fact I just called the shop and had them put another on hold for me so I can keep one down in florida too!
Old February 20, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Marquezj16

Congrats on your new pistol. Having fun with mine too.

Make sure you check your barrel screw. We had a post on here about theirs coming loose. I tightened mine up with a drop of blue loctite as extra insurance.
Old February 21, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Beanie-Bean

Congrats! I finally took mine out to the range this weekend after I was able to get a break in the schedule.

Shot the rest of my Remington box (green/yellow box) and a box of CCI Mini Mags. I've got about 6 or 7 more boxes of that stuff, along with a big box of Federal I'm going to shoot next time I go.

What a great pistol. I checked the barrel before and after I shot it, and it was fine. Cleaned it up with some Gunscrubber (polymer safe variety) and lubed it up with some Hoppe's Elite gun oil. It's ready to go for the next trip now. I need about three more magazines to make it more fun to shoot, but I'll make do with the two I've got now.

Large grip was installed from the start, although no magazine extensions were used. I have a Browning Buckmark Camper URX, too, and between the two, I'd say that I like the SR-22 better. The upside-down safety/decocker threw me off for a bit, but I was able to get past that in a hurry.

Tags
neos , p22 , plinker , reliable 22 , sr22