The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 31, 2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Gary Slider

Major Update Completed at Handgunlaw.us

Handgunlaw.us has just gone through a major update. Iowa is shall issue and honors all other states permit/licenses. No Gun Sign laws & What the state considers a loaded or unloaded firearm information added to every state page. An image of at least one of each states permit/licenses added to every state page. Some states don’t have a standard format for their permit/license. A notes section has been added to every states page for additional info that doesn’t fit in any other section.

Do check out your states page. The No Firearm signage info is not complete for all states. In some states there is really no law about signs and Handgunlaw.us will err on the side of caution when it comes to this type of information. I know I have listed some states as signs having the force of law when they might not. Reading the laws are tough and again I will err on the side of caution when it comes to No Gun Signs. It will take some time and with your help we will get them all ironed out. Check out the image of your states permit/license. I do believe I have one that is being issued now but I can’t keep up with every change.

What to thank all those who helped me with the Images, No Gun Sign and What each state considers a loaded firearm. I couldn’t have gotten all this done in the span of time I had if not for your assistance. Thank You.

I am not trying to drive traffic to our site to make money. We have no ads and do not make any money from the site. What we do is just try to supply the most up to date info so us Good Guys/Gals can stay within the law. That is what Good People do. Feedback is the heart of Handgunlaw.us. Without you giving me tips and heads up on changes etc handgunlaw.us would not be what it is today. No one can watch every state and keep up with every little change. Thanks to all who helped with the image quest and for those who have given me info over the years. It is very much appreciated. Hope your New Year is all you are hoping for.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old December 31, 2010, 04:08 PM   #2
jmortimer

Thank you for the head's up and for all your good work.
Old December 31, 2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Gary Slider

Thank you for the Kind words. Emails are flowing in which is great. If you wish to reach me Please email me at [email protected] or garyslider XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX AT XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX suddenlink.net
Private messages are the hardest way to get hold of me and I can miss them very easily. Plus with email I have a copy of what you are sending me right on my computer.
Old December 31, 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
MLeake

Another thanks for your site

I use it for all my road trips. It's really nice to have a one-stop source for my travel needs.
Old December 31, 2010, 06:35 PM   #5
BILLDAVE

Nice website, Gary.
I was wondering if any TFL members know what State offers the most reciprocity?
Thanks,
BILLDAVE

Last edited by BILLDAVE; December 31, 2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: rephrasing
Old December 31, 2010, 06:39 PM   #6
raimius

Thanks. Handgunlaw.us is one of the best reference sites out there!
Old January 1, 2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Gary Slider

I want to thank everyone for their kind words about Handgunlaw.us. It really helps to know that people appreciate what you do. It makes it even nicer when you enjoy what those people appreciate. Thank you all again and you will see this same reply on more than one site. I am getting a lot of email and sorting things out. Thought retired this last month has been very busy and January will be very busy with updates that I am being sent and it is very time consuming. Plus the biggie is my boss (Wife) has me stripping wall paper and completely repainting the Living room and hallways up and down. So the keyboard is getting a little sticky from the wallpaper paste. Thank You all again and glad we have been of assistance to you. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any information that you believe needs added or subtracted from handgunlaw.us. Handgunlaw.us is what is because of people like you assisting with gathering information.
Old January 1, 2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I haven't seen the very latest of Iowa's law, but I don't think they have reciprocity of other states yet. If not, that's a major error on that site...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 1, 2011, 12:53 PM   #9
youngunz4life

Thank You Gary and

Thank You for http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Old January 1, 2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Gary Slider

Shane Tuttle,

Iowa's new law states they will honor all other states Permit/Licenses to Carry a Firearm. The bad part about the law is that there is no reciprocity in it they will just honor everyone elses. That only hurts the residents of Iowa. There are many states who will not honor another states permit/license unless they sign an agreement. Iowa DPS has stated they will not sign any agreements as it is not in the law. IA DPS also stated they will not publish a list of states that honor an Iowa Permit/License to Carry.
Old January 2, 2011, 05:12 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm not sure if this hurts an Iowa resident if they has a non-res permit such as Utah's. I have this. Does this mean that although I'm an Iowa resident and don't have Iowa's permit I'm still covered by the Utah non-res permit?

Old January 2, 2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Gary Slider

Shane,

Here is the Iowa Law.

A valid permit or license issued by another state to any
nonresident of this state shall be considered to be a valid
permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this
chapter, except that such permit or license shall not be
considered to be a substitute for an annual permit to acquire
pistols or revolvers issued pursuant to section 724.15.
Old January 2, 2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

So, it sounds like to me a person that's not a resident of Iowa but has a Utah permit can carry here. But since I'm an Iowa resident, I'm out of luck...

Also, it didn't seem to have a timeline when you received the required training to be valid for the permit. So, does that mean I can use training I received from a certified private organization from 2 years ago? I'm not former military or LE...

Old January 2, 2011, 08:22 PM   #14
youngunz4life

I saw on the news tonight that as of jan 1 2011 all permits from any other state will be honored in Iowa. They talked about it for quite some time as they even went over brandishing laws. some people are upset because it isn't illegal to pull your gun out and show it to someone in Iowa as of jan 1 2011 even if you are in a bar. also, legally you can drink and CCW if your limit is under .08 **I would not recommend this but it is the new law.
Old January 3, 2011, 11:49 AM   #15
RetiredMajor

Shane,

If you are applying for a new permit you can use any valid training regrdless of when it ocurred. It could be last year or 10 years ago, as long as it meets the requirement:

724.9 a. Completion of any national rifle association handgun safety training course.

724.9 b. Completion of any handgun safety training course available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the national rifle association or the department of public safety or another state's department of public safety,
state police department, or similar certifying body.

Major
Old January 6, 2011, 10:11 AM   #16
bikerbill

love the site and thanks for your good work ... a few years ago we took a road trip to Illinois from Texas for a reunion .. I somehow had the idea that iowa recognized my CHL and was planning to carry all the way to the Illinois state line ... fortunately I checked your site and saved myself some possible problems ... glad to see they've joined the 21st Century ... now for IL ...