The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 02:23 PM   #26
wild cat mccane

"($0.01 after Obama's tax)"

Taxes actually haven't gone up for the middle class under Obama. Nice relevent comment though.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:40 PM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Taxes actually haven't gone up for the middle class under Obama. Nice relevent comment though.

Oh no? Where are you living in? Switzerland?

lol..not going to start a political debate over my factual comment just my $0.01 okay man?! He DID promise change...
Old September 28, 2012, 03:16 PM   #28
MLeake

It depends how you define the middle class. Family salary cap is not keeping up with inflation; FICA maxes out higher every year.

Oh, wait, that actually IS a tax increase, via back door.
Old September 28, 2012, 04:22 PM   #29
wild cat mccane

"Taxes" as stated have not gone up.

You can pay more without a tax going up. Property taxes for example are measured on the MARKET VALUE. So if your home appreciates in a year, you pay more without a tax increase.

"taxes" have not gone up.

I for one am in the market for a new hand gun (stimulating growth) with the money my wife and I saved on her yearly and birth control going free. That saved us (middle class) almost 500 a year. The PPACA saved us money.
Old September 28, 2012, 04:45 PM   #30
Nathan

Back on base.....
Why add unproven parts to a proven design like a Glock, unless you have a problem?
Old September 28, 2012, 07:42 PM   #31
stuckinCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Back on base.....
Why add unproven parts to a proven design like a Glock, unless you have a problem?
The mods I did are not even functional mods. Internally and functionally it's Glock. All I did was add some ergonomics that seem to work better for me personally.

By no means am I trying to change the core Glock "perfection" as far as what it is. Just some small, inexpensive upgrades and comfort items. Having fun with it..

I like how the thread went from night sights to Obamacare in less than two pages! Haha

Last edited by stuckinCali; September 28, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old September 28, 2012, 07:51 PM   #32
Crankgrinder

youve got a nice gun no doubt about it. Personally i prefer my coffee hot and my glocks well...black, but everyones a critic. enjoy.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:36 PM   #33
KenW.

Does it take all those add-ons to make a Glock a worthy weapon? My XD pistols were wonderful straight from the box.
Old September 28, 2012, 10:47 PM   #34
Theohazard

^ No, almost all the Glocks I see just have aftermarket night sights installed, that's it. Which is something that's hard to do on an XD thanks to the Croatians installing the sights using 10,000+ lbs. of pressure; most gunsmiths can't or won't work on XD sights because they're so hard to remove.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:53 AM   #35
Nathan

I'm glad you like what you did to your Glock. My point was only that Glock paid for lots of engineering in recent times to make their ideal balance. Most aftermarket parts are like 2 guys and a mill. Testing budget is severely limited.

You might need a new gunsmith! XD sights probably aren't reusable, but they aren't impossible to work with. Now, I don't like TFO's for the XD. Whoever decided they would only use half of the dovtail width for a sight twice as long as normal was nuts. It is in there now!

I thought my Kahr's super short dovtail was worse.

Last edited by Nathan; September 29, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:42 AM   #36
IMightBeWrong

Here is my personal guide to Glock mods:

Step 1: Take the stock gun out of the box and fire the heck out of it.

Step 2: Was it reliable?

If yes: Consider night sights and then leave it alone.

If no: Send it back to Glock, get it up and running again, and once it is consider night sights and then leave it alone.

Step 3: ????

Step 4: PROFIT!
Old September 29, 2012, 09:59 AM   #37
Amsdorf

I like the Talon grips and have them on all my Glocks.

I would not recommend you use a recoil buffer, just doesn't seem like a very good idea and could lead to problems.

Everyone generally recommends replacing the stock sights. I haven't, yet.

I have the grip plug on most of my Glocks.

I'm not aware of any need for a stainless guide rod, but I know that's a popular add on.
Old September 29, 2012, 04:56 PM   #38
lee n. field

Quote:
Did anyone else go aftermarket internet crazy with their Glock and regret it? Or do you like the mods you made and swear by them? Any to absolutely stay away from?
Ha! No.

Over my personal history with handguns, with the exception of grips, I tend to roll back from aftermarket addons, back to factory stock.

With my own personal G19, long story short, of all the addons it came to me with, only the Trijicons stay. Sights are sights, Trijicons are pretty conventional. Everything else, except the butt plug, gone. Annoying, or just not needed. (The plug is there to try to round out the base of the grip, nothing else. I could do without it easily.)

(With the big exception of the Lone Wolf barrel, there because I like to shoot cheap lead bullets. For jacketed bullets, putting the original barrel in takes 30 seconds.)

Quote:
After putting a couple hundred flawless rounds through it, I thought to myself.. "how can I make this thing any better?" It's perfect?
My recommendation is, work with it as it came out of the box, for a thousand rounds, and then see if you want to make any changes.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; September 30, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old September 29, 2012, 05:05 PM   #39
FFournier

Is there a make it out of steel option?
Old September 29, 2012, 08:58 PM   #40
ShipWreck

Quote:
I actually bought the beaver-tail adapter to try to mimic the perfect feel of a 92fs. I think it's the perfect grip and angle for my hand. Even more than a 1911.
I agree. The grip of the 92 is my preference too. I had two high end 1911s I sold last year because I just found I preferred the grip of the 92 over the 1911

Tags
accessories , extended , glock , grip , slide