The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 11, 2012, 07:10 PM   #2201
BGutzman

I dont expect the contempt vote to go to the floor, some deal will be made...

I hope I am wrong on this i would love for the vote to go to the floor but we shall see...
Old June 11, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2202
KyJim

Worst case scenario, a deal is made and the investigation fades away. That does not mean the investigation and work of the committee will not have accomplished anything. It put a brake on a runaway train. Even if the train is not dismantled, it has slowed somewhat in the glare of public scrutiny. Perhaps more will result.
Old June 12, 2012, 10:22 AM   #2203
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77303.html

Bottom line - says the GOP leadership don't want to pursue this despite strong rhetoric.

Thinks it is a distraction from the economy stupid attack for 2012.

Quote:
“This isn’t the message leadership wants,” one veteran House Republican lawmaker said. “They just want a boring, quiet summer of us not saying anything to screw up [and] get in the way of Obama’s economic news.”

A House GOP aide added, “Not a fight we are looking for. It doesn’t look good for anybody.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1xaohRub2
Old June 12, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2204
MTT TL

I am not so sure everyone got the memo.

Quote:
Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, made the call for Holder's resignation during a Senate hearing late Tuesday morning. It came in the context of GOP concerns about Holder's decision to appoint two lawyers from within his department to handle the politically sensitive leak probe -- as well as concerns about Fast and Furious.

"I would say that you leave me no alternative but to join those that call upon you to resign your office," Cornyn said. "Americans deserve an attorney general that will be honest with them, they deserve an attorney general who will uphold the basic standards of political independence and accountability. You've proven time and time again, sadly, that you're unwilling to do so."

Holder in response accused Republicans of playing politics, and specifically accused Cornyn of "breathtaking" inaccuracies.

"I don't have any intention of resigning," he said.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz1xbWZ0F9k
Old June 12, 2012, 01:29 PM   #2205
BGutzman

It seems to me Mr. Holder feels he is in a political position of superior power... I have watched a fair part of two hearings now and although he is well spoken he seems to say little of any real importance, he just plain doesn’t give details period..

I don’t know the guy but to me it doesn’t seem to be so much smugness as he simply seems to feel he has no reason to answer the questions with any detail at all.. He appears to be totally disinterested in anything more than surface deep and flowery speech.

Having seen the recent proceedings I don’t even think contempt of congress would get him to open up... he seems to feel untouchable and above the law.. And I guess to this point he has been and is... this is the mindset that IMHO doesn’t care about the constitution or correctness and is all about whatever craziness he personally believes, not a good thing to be sure..

In fact after posting this I have thought about this further and it seems his claims of some sort of potential constitutional crisis is kind of disturbing in that he is not an elected anything, he is not the president... I believe he is at least in part refering to the separation of powers of the three branches but I see no constitutional basis for his offices so I dont see any constitutional protection granted to them other than his office belongs to the executive branch. I am not a lawyer so I leave that to those who are but it seems to me that he might not be as "protected" by belonging to the executive branch as he thinks...

It is also interesting that Mr. Obama hasnt simply ordered Mr. Holder to release these documents nor does anyone seem to be pressing Mr. Obama to do so.

Last edited by BGutzman; June 12, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old June 12, 2012, 03:35 PM   #2206
Glenn E. Meyer

Cornyn is waving his arms in the air, saying look at me. As the link I posted said - folks will do this. However, no real action will be taken.

Easy to wave your arms in the air.
Old June 12, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2207
thallub

Get your Fast and Furious information right here:

http://issues.oversight.house.gov/fa...stigation.html
Old June 12, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2208
CowTowner

Thank you thallub for a wonderful piece of linkage.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 13, 2012, 07:33 AM   #2209
Bartholomew Roberts

Woo hoo! After 18 months of controversy, and the 8th time Eric Holder has testified before Congress on Fast and Furious, NBC News actually MENTIONED it for the first time last night.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...irst-Time-Ever

Apparently Senator Cornyn directly confronting Holder and calling for his resignation finally made the story newsworthy over there.
Old June 13, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2210
Skadoosh

Brian Williams also mention at the end of the piece that Holder could be held in contempt as early as next week if the documents that have been requested arent provided. That will be interesting...
Old June 13, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2211
thallub

In the past 30 years numerous political appointees have been cited for contempt by congressional committees and sub-committees. In the vast majority of cases the congressional body never voted on the contempt charge.

Being found in contempt of congress is a misdemeanor that can be appealed in federal court. In 1983 Rita Lavelle was found in contempt of congress. She appealed and her contempt charge was overturned in federal court. Lavelle was later found guilty of lying to congress.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19693051...empt-congress/
Old June 13, 2012, 10:40 AM   #2212
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's see if they do it - like I said - arm waving threats don't count.

That's posturing for the base.
Old June 13, 2012, 10:50 AM   #2213
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
like I said - arm waving threats don't count.
No, but as Bart pointed out, it attracted media attention. Of course, it was all over Fox, but there was also a blurb about it on my local evening news, which is the first I've seen.

Regarding contempt, I still don't know if the charge will stick. Yes, Issa claims to have the votes, but I wonder how many of those folks will drift away under political pressure. Before the final vote, we can be sure that somebody's going to ask the Representatives if they really want to send the Sargeant-at-Arms to physically arrest the Attorney General. I can see more than a few relenting.
Old June 13, 2012, 11:03 AM   #2214
zxcvbob

Quote:
Before the final vote, we can be sure that somebody's going to ask the Representatives if they really want to send the Sargeant-at-Arms to physically arrest the Attorney General.
Sarge should arrest him on live television and make it a pay-per-view event. I'd pay to watch it.
Old June 13, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2215
KyJim

Quote:
Many Republican aides expect Justice will dump a trove of documents on Issa’s lap prior to June 20. That would most likely slow the vote — the committee would need to review the paperwork.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1xiUjuWJV
This is exactly what will happen. The "trove" will have little actual treasure in it and much of it will consist of more blank pages. Still, it will take time to wade through it, enough to stall what momentum there is.
Old June 14, 2012, 04:14 PM   #2216
Fishing_Cabin

For those that may have missed this. Today Holder said he will meet with Issa and agrees to give internal emails, and some other info....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...contempt-vote/

Seems like Issa may get the info he wants from Holder. Now we will see what the next move may be in this chess game.
Old June 14, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2217
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The rumer is that Holder has blinked (see the Fox News story, above) because of what Mike Vanderboegh and David Codrea have discovered: http://www.examiner.com/article/blog...e-come-forward
Old June 14, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2218
MTT TL

They are not showing all their cards.

I know if they can bring down the AG on the eve of the serious electoral season they will do it. Doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons is still doing the right thing. I think they would be pushing harder though if they had a smoking gun. Unless they are just stalling.
Old June 15, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2219
alan

BGutzman in post #2205 closed with the following:

It is also interesting that Mr. Obama hasnt simply ordered Mr. Holder to release these documents nor does anyone seem to be pressing Mr. Obama to do so.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that President Obamas hasn't "ordered" Holder to release the documents in quesstion for 2 reasons:

1. He might be worried concerning exactly what these documents might show, as with who knew what and when, as well as who is actually responsible for what.

2. The second possibility is the following. Holder, as others have noted, feels he is above the law. That being the cxaase, he migfht tell the president to, as is sometimes mentioned in Westrern Pennsylvania, to "Go Pound Salt", a comment that would certainly prove interesting.
Old June 15, 2012, 02:18 PM   #2220
alan

KyJim wrote:

Worst case scenario, a deal is made and the investigation fades away. That does not mean the investigation and work of the committee will not have accomplished anything. It put a brake on a runaway train. Even if the train is not dismantled, it has slowed somewhat in the glare of public scrutiny. Perhaps more will result.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect that he fortells pretty much what the ending will likely be, except that I question whether the "train" will actually be slowed. I most definately expect/suspect that "a deal will be made", for both the Republican as well as the Democratic leadership is busy playing CYA, and devil take the hindmost, which just happens to be The Public Interest, and the constitutional rights of the people.

While it might be, forget might be, it is sad, that the story ends here.
Old June 15, 2012, 05:46 PM   #2221
BGutzman

It would not suprise me if a new Fast and Felonious is already in the works and just waiting for the dust to clear... which it wont before the election... the people behind this kind of thinking are not discouraged by laws, the constitution or common sense....

Last edited by BGutzman; June 15, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:29 PM   #2222
thallub

Quote:
It would not suprise me if a new Fast and Felonious is already in the works and just waiting for the dust to clear... which it wont before the election... the people behind this kind of thinking are not discouraged by laws, the constitution or common sense....
Bingo!!
Fast and Furious was the brainchild of career bureaucrats in the Phoenix office of the BATFE. They sold their plan up the chain to the political appointees of the BATFE and to the US attorney for AZ. The career bureaucrats in the Phoenix office of the BATFE then implemented their plan and pursued it with great zeal and vigor.

Who knows what other schemes are sitting out there waiting for the right political climate. Sadly, congress has no stomach for reining in the BATFE.
Old June 15, 2012, 08:06 PM   #2223
THORN74

Chew on this.... running/walking guns is a felony. At least one of these ff guns that was 'walked is directly linked to the death of boarder agent Terry. Per the 'felony murder rule' any one who broke the law in the walking phase is guilty of 1st degree murder just as if they pulled the trigger thw,m selfes.

In otherwords if it can be proven holder oked this illeagle operation, he just made home self a murderer. I'm betting that's why we haven't seen the paperwork... he'll if Obama knew we could have a sitting president under inditement for murder.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
Old June 15, 2012, 09:07 PM   #2224
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They sold their plan up the chain to the political appointees of the BATFE and to the US attorney for AZ. The career bureaucrats in the Phoenix office of the BATFE then implemented their plan and pursued it with great zeal and vigor.
Do we have proof of this?
Old June 15, 2012, 10:55 PM   #2225
thallub

Quote:
Do we have proof of this?

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ious-fall.html

Quote:
Gun-rights advocates point to such statements as evidence that Fast and Furious was part of a gambit to justify gun control.

But Operation Wide Receiver seems to challenge that assertion. That investigation, based in Tucson during 2006-07, allowed nearly 300 guns to be smuggled into Mexico. The objective, according to federal records: catch cartel kingpins.

Even Dobyns, one of the agents behind cleanupatf.org, discounts notions that the gun-walking tactic originated in Washington, D.C. He says Fast and Furious was concocted by an Arizona field agent and endorsed by ATF bosses up the line from Phoenix.

"I think it was a ploy at self-glorification," he said. "When the OIG report came out and said, 'Hey, ATF, you're failing miserably,' I think they decided to prove him wrong. They said, 'I'm going to get the big fish, and how do you like me now?' "
Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...#ixzz1xvK12wAA

Tags
atf , fast and furious