The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2002, 03:41 PM   #1
VaughnT

Trigger job gone bad! 1991 won't fire.

Well, it would figure that after bragging on my "smithing" skills, a trip to the range would show my handiwork to be full naught.

All I did was replace a junky trigger with a nice Infinity two-piece trigger. An hour of fine filing and the trigger slid smoothly in the track. The sear seemed to move enough to disengage from the hammer.

Load some live ammo, good stuff known to work, aim, pull the trigger. No boom. The hammer falls all the way forward like it always did, but now it doesn't do anything.

I started thinking of what I might have done and backed the setscrew off a few turns. Tried to fire her again with no luck. The hammer is falling, but either it's catching on the "half-cock" notch and not touching the FP or the FP isn't moving.

If the FP isn't moving, this would lead one to believe that the S80 FP safety isn't disengaging. This is possible because the trigger bow has a small ball-bearing pressed into the rear so there is minimum contact between the bow and the disconnector. If the difference in heights, literally a millimeter, great enough, it is entirely possible, to my poor understanding, that the sear is letting the hammer go, but the FP safety lever isn't yet flipped free. Thus, the hammer falls and hits a blocked FP. No boom.

Are there any other possibilities? I tried a new Main spring, but nothing worked until I replaced the new trigger with the old. Then she ran like a champ.

I'm standing by for your assistance.
Old November 29, 2002, 06:22 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Tke the firing pin block out of the slide and try it.
The S80 system pretty much depends on overtravel to disengage.
Old November 29, 2002, 11:00 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Jim W. is right. The Series 80 guns operate the firing pin safety off the trigger bow, through a double lever system. Either you failed to put the parts back in correctly, or your trigger bow is not pressing the bottom lever far enough.

Alas, some things are not as simple as they seem.

Jim
Old November 30, 2002, 08:35 PM   #4
VaughnT

Gentlemen, you couldn't be more correct. Advise from the 1911forum concurs with yours and I get to be mightily embarrassed.

I would like to ask if you've ever heard of a National Match lever that is designed to maximize lift through a different design. Mr. Bettendorf, from the 1911forum, made mention of them, but didn't say who makes them or where they can be had from. I've certainly never noted one in any of the catalogs and would like to get one to go with the new hammer/sear/disconnector I'm looking to put in.

Sure do wish it was simpler.
Old November 30, 2002, 09:54 PM   #5
Old Fuff

>> Sure do wish it was simpler. <<

It would be if you'd bought a Colt Series 70 or earlier. These guns were made the way John Browning designed it. The Series 80 firing pin block was designed for lawyers. If the levers were made oversized and individually fitted the system would probably work better, but Colt wanted something that wouldn't require fitting. "Drop-in" doesn't always work.
Old November 30, 2002, 10:19 PM   #6
clem

Take a look at "Brownell's". I seem to recall they had a match replacement firing pin lock out, set-up for the 80s guns.

Good luck.
Old December 1, 2002, 12:04 PM   #7
VaughnT

Old Fluff, you're right. If the job didn't insist on the S80, I would have had the much simpler S70 on my hip. No doubt.

As it is, I'm stuck trying to get a crisp break on an S80 trigger that demands overtravel.

Clem, I'll check brownell's again, but I didn't see anything on their website or the last catalog. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.
Old December 1, 2002, 12:33 PM   #8
clem

VaughnT,

Take a look in catalog #55, page #92 Item "C&S 1911 Auto Series 80 TRIGGER PULL REDUCTION KIT" #206-080-000.

Maybe this can help you out with the problem.

Good luck...
Old December 5, 2002, 09:33 PM   #9
clem

Hey VaughnT!

Was that what you needed?

The item in catalog #55?
Old December 6, 2002, 07:01 PM   #10
VaughnT

Hey, Clem!

That's what I'm talking about. The picture really doesn't do it justice. A quick note off to Cylinder and Slide got this response:

Sir,

You will need to buy one of our S80 trigger pull kits. Part # CS003. Cost $46.00. This should eliminate your problem. This will give you a plunger lever that will lift the S80 firing pin block quicker.

Thanks

Pat

I dropped the weapon off at AmmoPlus in Anderson SC and will see what he does with the trigger. Skip said that he would put in a glass-rod break in my trigger, but how he's going to do it is a mystery. I'll report back when I have the weapon in hand. Should be here by the end of next week.