The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2012, 07:40 AM   #1
kcub

OK to shoot Buffalo Bore heavy .44 special out of a S&W 24-5 or Colt SAA?

per BB it is ok in any .44 spl revolver except long term use in the Charter Bulldog

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=17

Are there any other non-anemic .44 special factory loads to consider that aren't as expensive?
Old October 28, 2012, 10:16 AM   #2
kahrguy

Federal has a 200gr lead swc hp that would be a viable for handguns or shooters that can't handle high energy levels for a defence load. Its not so much about the velocity with lead semi wad cutter hp , they just work.

non-anemic , Corbon defence line. 165gr at 1050 fps. No warning for revolvers

Last edited by kahrguy; October 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Webleymkv

Both the S&W M24 and Colt SAA are large frame .44 Specials and, as such, are a good bit stronger than smaller framed guns like the Charter Arms Bulldog, Taurus 445, Rossi 720, and S&W x96 series. Because of this, I would not hesitate to fire the heavy .44 Special ammunition offered by boutique ammo houses like Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, or Grizzly in a newer S&W N-Frame or Colt SAA (I would be hesitant to fire such ammunition in a gun more than about 50 years old though).
Old October 28, 2012, 12:57 PM   #4
DFrame

Webleymkv makes a lot of sense. I also would avoid using such ammunition in older guns. I would have no qualms about using it in modern, quality guns from Colt and S&W.
Old October 28, 2012, 01:42 PM   #5
gak

Kcub said:
"Are there any other non-anemic .44 special factory loads to consider that aren't as expensive?"

My go-to: Georgia Arms www.georgia-arms.com 200 gr RNFP and JHP. Good stuff. Mid to late $20s/per50 + ship. Get enough (at least a few bags = better ship $) and the total price is even more reasonable. New brass, not reloads. "Heat" wise, I'd categorize as less than BB, but more than "big name factory"--or just right.

Last edited by gak; October 28, 2012 at 01:48 PM.