The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2013, 01:26 AM   #26
Metal god

Started a new thread about my range trip and how the reloads did .
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...10#post5623510

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 1, 2013, 08:35 AM   #27
F. Guffey

Can you have to much neck tension ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I tried to pull one of my bullets I loaded with no crimp . I used a kinetic energy hammer to try and remove the bullet . I pounded pretty hard with that thing and the bullet did not even move . I used the same hammer to remove a 168gr GMM bullet and it came out no problem but I can't get my reloads out . This is a 308 that I FL sized using Redding dies”

I am not going to replace all of my dies with Redding dies and ‘the hammer’ has not been proven there is not a risk of tennis elbow, I do have three other bullet pullers, I have the Hornady cam lock, a very high maintenance machine and two variations of the RCBS collet puller, a magnificent design.

There is neck tension, there is bullet hold and bullet grip, I do not have tension bullet machines, I do not have bullet grip machines, that leaves me with bullet hold, I can measure bullet hold in pounds, sound a little awkward to use grip pounds as in so many grips per pound etc..

TOO MUCH? There is a maximum, to determine bullet hold the reloader must push themselves away from the key board and devise, design a reliable way to determine the amount of effort required in pounds to move a bullet out of the neck of a case, the information can be acquired with air pressure, problem, the old .7854 thing. then there is the drill out the flash hole/primer pocket , push rod/cleaning rod with a bath room scale etc., etc..

And scales, there are push scales, there are pull scales, and there are shell holds with different designs.

R. Lee published a book on modern reloading, in his book he included crimp and the time factor, bullet hold, how much time passes between .000 PSI and bullet release from the neck? And bench resters, we never want to leave out the bench resters.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; September 1, 2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: change . to ?