The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 24, 2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Crosshair

Need advice for buying/building a SBS

Since I have two suppressors now I figure that mabee I should branch out into other NFA weapons. I thought about putting together a SBR 10/22, but have put that idea on hold for various reasons. So I think a SBS would be a very practical weapon to get. However, I am unsure what type to get.

I like SxS double trigger shotguns. Does anyone own a SBS SxS shotgun? (Or know someone who does.) I would like ejectors, not extractors, for quick reloading, and no external hammers.

I am also open to the idea of a pump SBS. The only Pump shotgun I own is a Ithaca 37, but I handle the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 every day at work. I tend to like the Mossberg better because the shell elevator remains raised when the action is closed to allow easier reloading, the safety is ambidextrous, and the slide release is in a better position IMHO. The only thing I don't like is that you can't put on an extended magazine tube, but since this will be a SBS, that is a moot point in this case.

If I was going to go the pump gun route I was thinking about getting a Mossberg 500 Persuader. The problem is, I was thinking about getting a 12-14" barrel, but It looks like a person would have to shorten the magazine tube to do so. I was hoping for a straight barrel replacement, but all their guns seem to have nothing smaller than a 6 shot magazine tube, meaning custom work and custom barrels. This is what makes me lean back to the SxS. The SxS is much simpler and allows a more compact package.

/Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old June 24, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Are you set on having a shoulder stock? If not, you could consider going the AOW route. That one is only a $5 stamp.

I also very much like the idea of a SBS SxS. Kind of like a real coach gun. Too bad they are a no-no here in IN...
Old June 24, 2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Legion2600

Don't have a SxS but do have a 12" 870 SBS and a 8" Moss AOW. Either one you'll like. Those two get waaay more attention than any of the machineguns or silencers. Branching out is a good thing.
Old June 24, 2007, 09:00 PM   #4
douglasschuckert

Sbs

Check this one out. These are very common out there and it's avail in 20 and 12ga. Its considered an AOW so its only a 5buck transfer on the F4. It hold 3 rnds and 1 in the pipe! VERY FUN to shoot too!!! Load with Bird shot, and makes for one hell of a home defense gun!!

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/i...uery=retrieval
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old June 25, 2007, 05:28 AM   #5
raymond-

I have had the pleasure of owning a SSS for several yrs now and I think it's
great. One thing that is nice about the pump design (vs side/side or over/under)
is the ability to perform tactical load while still keeping it 'hot' and still on target.
If you prefer SSS in Remington design, that is also available from Mark.

Would have been nice to have SBS status, thereby allowing me to remove
shoulder stock as needed...but WA state rendered these verboten.

(2 in magazine and 1 in chamber)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSS_holster.jpg (192.6 KB, 76 views)
Old June 25, 2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Crosshair

Yes I am set on having a shoulder stock. I want the ability to do whatever I want to it in terms of stocks and accesories. However, reading the posts here, it is making me lean back to the Mossberg for a SBS.

Does anyone know some good custom places that do SBS work. Probably gona get the barrel shortened to 12" and the mag tube shortened to whatever it needs to be. As long as the mag tube will hold at least 3 shells, I'll be happy.

Would I be able to do this on a Form 1, get it approved, then send the gun off to the place that does the work?
Old June 25, 2007, 10:12 PM   #7
Legion2600

Quote:
Would I be able to do this on a Form 1, get it approved, then send the gun off to the place that does the work?
Yes, thats what I did. Then sent the 870 barrel off to m60joe.com for cutting down the barrel and moving the front sight back. If I remember right cutting it down to 12" will just make in even with the mag cap - so that wouldn't have to be messed with at all. All in all a pretty inexpensive NFA project & pretty cool at the same time.
Old June 26, 2007, 01:36 AM   #8
Crosshair

How many shells does your 870 hold Legion2600? If I am not mistaken, Mossberg uses a longer magazine tube for increased capacity. I could be wrong.

I'll get a tape measure at work tomorrow and measure how long the barrel would be if cut flush with the cap. If I can get 12" without having to shorten the magazine tube that would be great.
Old June 26, 2007, 11:13 AM   #9
MisterPX

SBR, AOW and SBS are the same $200 stamp if you make it yourself. $5 is AOW transfer.
Old June 27, 2007, 02:39 AM   #10
Legion2600

Crosshair -- the mag capacity of the 870 SBS is the same as a factory 870 express -- 5+ 1? not sure. The AOW is a mossberg 500A. The AOW barrel has been chopped down to 9.5 and the mag tube has been modified of course. Its capacity is 3 + 1.

Ill try to get some pics in the next couple of days. Check back.
Old June 27, 2007, 01:41 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

A side-by side gun will always be shorter than a pump, because the action itself is about 2" shorter (if overall length is a concern.)
Old June 27, 2007, 01:55 PM   #12
uzimon

my 870 sbs is chopped even with the mag tube, 12" bbl, knoxx copstock folder
23.5" folded
the copstock does a good job taming recoil
a sbs will hurt more to shoot and of course nothing to shoulder, limiting accuracy and usability, imo

i got $450 or thereabouts, total into mine
just cut it yourself, and if you cut a vent rib bbl you can get clip on sights to replace the bead you lost
Old June 28, 2007, 12:51 AM   #13
Crosshair

Hmmm, I measured the magazine tube on the Mossberg and I would only be able to go to 15" without having the magazine shortened.

I was looking around and found that the Stoeger SxS brand gets high marks. From what I can tell, one should stick to the blued models as a few have had the nickel peel on them.

They have some High Res pics on their site. Since I knew the barrel in the pic was 20" long I could check and see how short I could get the barrel without hitting the forearm. I found I could easily go to 12" and still be well past the forearm. I think I'll go to the local store and check out the SxS they have there and see how well they fit me. Yet again I am thinking about the SxS. Oh well, I'm not doing this tomorrow so I have plenty of time to ponder.

I handled a Stoeger awhile ago in the used section and i liked it. A little fat because of the SxS configuration, but it pointed nicely.

How hard is it to shorten a SxS shotgun the "correct" way?
Old June 28, 2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Legion2600

These guys might be able to do work on a SxS. Check out their stuff under the "Short Barreled weapons".

awwwwww...That Texas Room Broom looks so cute. Only one barrel though.

http://www.kencoarmsllc.com/