The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 20, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
nobody.special

Norinco NHM-91 and 922r compliance

Hi,
I have a question regarding my Norinco NHM-91 and Tapco or other US made magazines...

My rifle has the thumbhole stock, and is completely stock with nothing replaced or added, except when I purchased it, it already had the rivet ground off and came with a couple 30rd Chinese (I think) magazines. I've read that the rifle originally came with 5rd mags, of which I do not have any...
My question is:
If I use US made mags, and change nothing else on this rifle, will it be legal and/or 922r compliant?
If I use US made mags, I am reducing the number of foreign parts, so as long as I change nothing else I should be okay, right?

The issue I have with swapping out a bunch of parts is that my wife absolutely *LOVES* the rifle exactly the way it is, thumbhole stock and all...
Old November 20, 2012, 04:30 PM   #2
RedBowTies88

How many foreign made parts are on the gun? You need to have 10 or less.

If you don't want to change anything that you'll notice things like the trigger and gas piston can be swapped for american made units.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3
nobody.special

according to this 922r chart
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

It looks like there is (16) 922r parts on a typical AK. My NHM-91 does not have a muzzle attachment, or pistol grip bringing that count down to 14... (I think that is correct anyway)

With a US made mag (3 parts), that brings it down to 11... so I guess I need to add another compliance part to get the count to 10?

So... by using US mags, even though I am reducing the "foreign parts" count, it opens up that whole 922r can of worms, and then I have to swap out parts to get it at of under 10?
Old November 22, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
ATW525

It sounds like your NHM-91 is stock except for the rivet removal? It shouldn't fall under 922R, as it lacks the minimum of two "evil" features to make it a non-sporting weapon in the ATF's eyes.
Old November 23, 2012, 01:25 AM   #5
halfcocked

Ditto on what ATW525 said, you don't need to swap out any parts if you keep the thumbhole. Enjoy blasting, you don't even need to worry about US mags.