The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Pocket-gun poll: do you prefer the 642/442 offerings from S&W, or the LCR from Ruger?
Smith & Wesson 642/442 81 60.45%
Ruger LCR 41 30.60%
No preference at all, they are equals. 12 8.96%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 24, 2013, 10:07 AM   #26
jad0110

Both are good platforms, it all comes down to preference. Heck, throw the S&W Bodyguard .38 in there as well (my sister owns one, and she is a scary good shot with hers).

J Frame triggers will typically smooth out after a thousand cycles or so. I cleaned and re-oiled the internals of mine one time 7 years ago after I had broken it in and the action is pretty smooth now. Still a little stiff, but not objectionable.

Most people do seem to prefer the LCR trigger. Most I've handled have been quite smooth, though I still don't care for the rather weak, wimpy trigger return. A lot of folks overlook that aspect; I personally prefer the firmer return of the J Frames, particularly since that is what I'm used to on all my other revolvers (Rugers, S&Ws and the lone Taurus and H&R).
Old February 24, 2013, 09:59 PM   #27
ScotchMan

People vote for what they have.

642 and 442 have been around for many years, so more people own them or have experience with them. LCR is relatively new to the market by comparison. So S&W will automatically win any poll.

The fact the LCR has as many votes as it does says something.

Personally, I think they are both fantastic but if I could have either would probably take the LCR due to the trigger. But if Eagle wasn't making wood grips for it, I'd take the Smith because I find both of Ruger's grip options for the LCR to be too grippy for CCW.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old February 25, 2013, 09:21 AM   #28
MLeake

ScotchMan, some of us have owned both.

I had an LCR BEFORE I ever bought a J frame.

I still have the J frame. I no longer have the LCR.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:33 AM   #29
chewie146

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the firearms mentioned. However, I won't buy an LCR. I have been tempted with the LCR in .22. It would be a good trainer, and the smith .22 j frames are unreal in their prices.
Old February 25, 2013, 05:18 PM   #30
Amendtwo

S&W 642

While I have not handled a Ruger LCR, I do have a S&W 642-1 (and a 640-3 in .357), and really like the Centennial series as CCW guns.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:29 PM   #31
onthehunt

Old February 27, 2013, 09:54 AM   #32
rodfac

I'm a Smith guy pretty much in DA guns...a Ruger guy when it comes to SA's. That said, I think you'll find either of the aforementioned Smiths a perfect pic for a CCW choice. Good defensive rounds are available for either and Smith's warranty is gold plated if you ever need it. The Ruger LCR is OK, but in my humble opinion, is Fugly. I haven't tried one, but do have considerable trigger time with both of the Smiths mentioned. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:46 PM   #33
3o3brit

I handled both side by side before I bought the S&W 442 it just felt better to me. I put in a Wolff spring kit and polished the internals and now the trigger pull is great.
Old February 27, 2013, 03:32 PM   #34
Jayhawkhuntclub

LCR has a much better trigger. Mine AVERAGES just under 3 1/4" groups rested at 20 yards. That's not bad for a sub 2" barrel. I am a Smith lover though and have no issues with J-frames. But the trigger is the deciding factor. HOWEVER, I am shocked at how few grip options are available for the LCR. That is a drawback.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:23 PM   #35
rodfac

Jay, I'd not have guessed that an out of the box LCR would shoot that well...maybe I need to try one....Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:33 PM   #36
MLeake

Granted, this was only at 5 yards, offhand, but it was a 50 round box, to see how consistent the gun might be before I started shooting it at more challenging distances:

Without the laser

With the laser (hence the single holes around the top and to the right, where I was sighting in and adjusting the laser; the main hole was post-adjustment)

I gave this 442 to my parents. I bought myself another, though without the laser.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:35 PM   #37
MLeake

These were fired practicing move and shoot drills, forward, backward, and laterally between 7 and 11 yards, with my replacement 442: