The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 20, 2013, 10:50 PM   #1
nyc71

H.R. 226: turn in your guns for a tax break

Many sheepo gun owners will fall for this if it gets pass.

H.R.226 - Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for our Streets Act

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-...t?q=h.r.%20226

Enjoy
Old January 20, 2013, 10:56 PM   #2
spacecoast

I wonder if they have any realization of the stupidity of offering a $2K tax break on a $250 Hi-Point carbine in 9mm and other pistol calibers, which hardly even measures up to their distorted perception of "assault rifle" and is only offered with 10-round magazines. Is this because a Hi-Point was used at Columbine?

To be honest, it's a bit tempting, I could buy a much better rifle(s) with the profit.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
pnac

`
Quote:
`(a) Allowance of Credit.--
``(1) In general.--In the case of an individual who
surrenders a specified assault weapon to the United States or a
State or local government (or political subdivision thereof) as
part of a Federal, State, or local public safety program to
reduce the number of privately owned weapons, on the election
of the taxpayer there shall be allowed as a credit against the
tax imposed by this chapter an amount equal to $2,000.
``(2) Year credit allowed.--The amount of the credit under
paragraph (1) shall be allowed \1/2\ for the taxable year
during which the assault weapon was so surrendered and \1/2\ in
the next taxable year.
The credit is spread out over 2 years.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 20, 2013, 11:13 PM   #4
WyMark

I need to read it more thoroughly to see if there's some modification I can make to my 870 Express so I can turn it in for a $2k tax credit.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:15 PM   #5
TXAZ

Cash for Clunkers==> Cash for Calibers?

Maybe we should step out as spacecoast was heading toward, and go out and buy a Hi Point each..... To help the economy, of course.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 21, 2013, 12:40 AM   #6
wayneinFL

Quote:
``(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability
to accept a detachable magazine, and has--
``(i) a second pistol grip,
``(ii) a threaded barrel,
``(iii) a barrel shroud, or
``(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable
magazine at a location outside of the pistol
grip.
So, I could rig a forward grip on an old police trade Glock? And get enough of a refund to buy two more Glocks with my tax refund the first year, and two more Glocks the next year?

Yeah, I'm sure I could find a way to abuse this law.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:01 AM   #7
pnac

Quote:
So, I could rig a forward grip on an old police trade Glock? And get enough of a refund to buy two more Glocks with my tax refund the first year, and two more Glocks the next year?
Maybe,,, if your tax rate is 100%.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 21, 2013, 09:09 AM   #8
spacecoast

Quote:
Maybe,,, if your tax rate is 100%.
The way I read it, it's a tax credit, not an income reduction credit. So it's really worth $2,000.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:02 AM   #9
JimDandy

That webpage doesn't look like the normal one, and I can't find Del Lauro as a Representative...

Edit, had to jump through some hoops and get there from a non-user-friendly way but I got there....

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c113sfNAQQ::
Old January 21, 2013, 11:10 AM   #10
L2R

once again, going after law abiding, tax paying citizens

this is proof (again) that bills are only affecting the honest citizen.

how many thugs will even be aware of it?

If this has any affect whatsover, it will be that it encourages more homes being broken into so a thief can hand it to Mom and get the refund thru her.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:20 AM   #11
JimDandy

Mom won't legally own it either. If the thugs don't know about it, why would they steal a gun for the tax credit?

Don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly stupid bordering on moronically fiscal-suicide bill, but all of your arguments are circularly self-defeating.

The actual results will be what people are already figuring out.

Step 1, buy 28 guage Rossi Circuit Judge for $665.

Step 2, Turn in for tax credit.

Step 3, Profit, while Uncle Sam wonders why the hell Rossi is making more money than they are.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Alabama Shooter

I will repeat the post I made yesterday morning:

HR 227:

Quote:
(f) National Academy of Sciences Standards- The Attorney General, through the Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Justice Programs, shall enter into an arrangement with the National Academy of Sciences to develop standards for identifying, and identify, guns that are the most likely to be used in violent crimes and establish a pricing scale for purchasing guns so identified through gun buyback programs receiving grants under this section.
Using real data looks like HiPoint Pistols are about to go through the roof and the bottom will drop out of the AR market.

Quote:
With a barely-functional and beat-up $30 Marlin 785, a used $30 pistol grip stock, and a trip to the local turn-in location, a person could net $1,940 in profit.
Why look for a stock? Just thread the barrel and be done with it.

I'm in. Sounds like I will be saving $1950/ a year in taxes and getting junk off the market. I can't help it if the people writing the law are willfully ignorant, they choose to be that way despite our best efforts to educate them. It is their system, I am just along for the ride even if it is a downward spiral.

I gave this some more thought and now wish the NRA would back this last one (HR 226) hard. There would be some great advantages:

- Criminals will not benefit like they do during gun buy backs when trying to get rid of crime guns for cash. Since they mostly pay no taxes there is no incentive for them to participate.

- The money given can be used to fund much better gun purchases. For minimal costs I can fund a new AR project every year. Just about anyone would be able to afford a nice new gun purchase by trading in old junk.

- Gun makers will benefit all around. Low end gun makers will benefit from purchase and trade in. High end gun makers will benefit after the tax returns come in. If used properly it would be very much like a cash for clunkers give away program.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:34 PM   #13
JimDandy

I don't know Alabama Shooter. I'm ok with it until you carry it out to it's logical end.

When we all take advantage of this the US will go broke. They won't be able to afford their M4's and will have to issue their stockpiles of turned in Rossi 5 shot revolving 28 gauge revolving shotguns as the primary issued weapon.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:45 PM   #14
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
When we all take advantage of this the US will go broke. They won't be able to afford their M4's and will have to issue their stockpiles of turned in Rossi 5 shot revolving 28 gauge revolving shotguns as the primary issued weapon.
And Hipoint pistols with threaded barrels for all ATF agents.

Normally I would say that this bill would be too crazy and idiotic to pass but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX-D4kkPOQ
Old January 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

This thing is too loopy to live for very long in committee. If the CBO ever does an estimate of its cost, it's dead.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Does SARCO still sell those paperweight 1911 frame castings? And their $50 threaded barrels? Presto -- buy a frame casting, whack on it with a file enough to be able to mount a threaded barrel, stamp or etch on a serial number, and turn it in.

Cost should be under $100, for which you save $1000 a year for two years.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:30 PM   #17
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
I don't know Alabama Shooter. I'm ok with it until you carry it out to it's logical end.

This just makes me want to abuse the law so more. Maybe our imperialist march throughout 3rd world countries will stop and we will severely cut our military and entitlement spending to feed our troops.

But then again the Fed is gonna mint a $1 trillion dollar coin. I guess all the logic in the world is useless at this point.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 21, 2013, 02:26 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

We've also been discussing this bill here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512922
Old January 21, 2013, 10:10 PM   #19
Mr.Scott

Quote:
This thing is too loopy to live for very long in committee. If the CBO ever does an estimate of its cost, it's dead.
If its headed by democrats then it has a chance. They only know, Spend spend spend.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:06 AM   #20
JimDandy

Mr. Scott this is the Law and Civil Rights forum. There are a large number of democrats that own firearms, and support the RKBA. I live in a blue state with fairly nice firearms laws for example. A global attack on either political party does nothing but make the members of that party close ranks. More accurately, you could have said if it's backed by more people like the author who don't know or understand guns, then it has a chance.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:37 PM   #21
klyph3

I also noticed it includes "conversion kits" as qualifying for the $2000 credit. Here's the definition:
Quote:
CONVERSIONKIT.—The term ‘conversion kit’ means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person
So a pistol with a threaded barrel is an assault weapon, therefore a threading die could be used to convert a pistol into an assault weapon. Therefore a $15 die is a conversion kit worth $2000 in tax credits. Brilliant.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:16 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So a pistol with a threaded barrel is an assault weapon, therefore a threading die could be used to convert a pistol into an assault weapon. Therefore a $15 die is a conversion kit worth $2000 in tax credits. Brilliant.
OOhhhh. Good point.
Constructive possession, as well.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:15 AM   #23
wayneinFL

Quote:
I also noticed it includes "conversion kits" as qualifying for the $2000 credit. Here's the definition:
Quote:
Quote:
CONVERSIONKIT.—The term ‘conversion kit’ means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person
It says "parts." You'd have to give them an AR or AK pistol grip, for example.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:59 AM   #24
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
It says "parts." You'd have to give them an AR or AK pistol grip, for example.
Or a shot out barrel.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:53 AM   #25
HK_Flo

So in theory you could just buy a hi-point and JB-weld a front grip to it, or thread the barrel and get a $2000 tax credit?

Sounds like a good deal to me.

But wait isn't a pistol with a forward grip a NFA item? So you would have to pay the $200 tax stamp and get an extended background check to attach it?

Seems like the threaded barrel is the way to go. Is a hi-point barrel even thread-able?