The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 29, 2000, 06:43 PM   #1
Oldspeed

Hello,
My son inherited a old bolt action rifle in .35 Tourney. Not sure of the correct spelling. He once bougth some ammo from Old Western Scrounger that was headstamped like 1938. Is any ammo currently available in this caliber. Where was this caliber used and in what era? U.S.A. or foreign only?
Thanks,
Bob
Old August 31, 2000, 01:08 PM   #2
Paul B.

Oldspeed. The only thing that comes to mind is the Italian 7.35 Mannlicher-Carcano made by the Terni arsenal in 1938. Could this be the round you are talking about? If so, that ammo is corrosive as hell, and the barrel should be given the hot soapy water treatment after firing. (I found out the hard way.) Had one of those years ago. Power is somewhat under the .300 Savage range if I remember correctly. Bullet is an oddball size, but I don't have the diameter at hand. As far as I know, no commercial sporting ammo is being made at this time.
Hope this helps some.
Paul B.
Old August 31, 2000, 05:40 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the gun is a 7.35 Mannlicher-Carcano, the bullet is a true .30 caliber. All bullets called .30 caliber are actually .308, so can't be fired in the 7.35. New ammo is available for the older caliber, 6.5mm Carcano, but not for the 7.35mm.

Jim