The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2006, 02:58 PM   #26
mmissile

Moving safes is easy with big commercial suction cups. They slide across carpet, like they're on wheels. A handtruck/dolly and 2 guys can get it anywhere else. We used carpet and a come-along for the stairs to the basement. Plan ahead, and it won't kill ya.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:52 PM   #27
Hoosier Patriot

Winchester Safe Error Light

I have a Winchester Safe. The keypad as a light near that top that blicks on and off about every second. There is also a beep at same frequency. Does anyone know what it means? I have tried replacing the battery with the same results. The safe will not open.
Old March 7, 2009, 01:17 PM   #28
RevoRick

Doesn't sound good. I would try a fresh thread with your problem. Over at thehighroad.org this guy is about the smartest guy when it comes to safe questions. You could try these links:

http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=18917

http://www.zykansafe.com/

your might also try some of the other forums.

thehighroad.org
1911forum.com
1911auto.org

Good luck
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24

Last edited by RevoRick; March 7, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old March 7, 2009, 06:18 PM   #29
a1abdj

Shhhhhh....don't tell anybody, but I lurk around here too.

Does the blinking beeping lock on your safe happen to be a S&G?
Old March 7, 2009, 06:23 PM   #30
Shane Tuttle
Staff

This thread started almost 3 years ago. I'd suggest starting up your own thread asking questions instead of digging an ancient thread that most members haven't even been around in a while...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 11, 2009, 01:57 AM   #31
ncpatriot

I have a K-Mart type cheapo. Holds about 8 long guns, I have 5 in it & some ammo. Tubular style key lock, relatively strong latches. Not a great safe but keeps the kids out. House burglaries are rare in our part of town, but I may reinforce it with a couple of flat steel bars and padlocks for when we're out of town. Anchors easily to floor/walls.

Did something embarassing a few years ago, in a store. Saw a safe, looked it over. It had basic center latch, nothing else. I twisted the latch a little to see how much play it had. Broke the mounting stud. Apologized to the store manager, he said I did nothing wrong. Still hated to break something.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:01 AM   #32
ncpatriot

In Wall Storage

I saw a magazine article years ago about cutting a storage space in the wall, for space saving & concealment. But didn't seem strong/secure at all. Does anyone make a slim safe or cabinet that recesses in a wall? I've also read of secret room idea. Would be great, but most of us don't have that kind of space.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:21 AM   #33
MikeinLA

Google "V-Line". They make several safes that recess into a wall and you can bolt them to the studs.

Mike
Old March 22, 2009, 01:54 PM   #34
hihosilver

they are good safes made by granite safes in fort worth. I bought one from granite. Also... look at cabelas or basspro, because they also make the redman or redland(something like that) series. I would look into the silverado series... they are better than the winchester....but I think the winchster safes seem to be good safes
Old March 22, 2009, 02:13 PM   #35
longranger

I bought a Cannon C-30 and recently moved from CA to WY it weighs 700lb. A friend of mine and an appliance dolly is all it took to move it.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:54 PM   #36
cw_mi

I picked up one of those Winchester Sam's club safes last week , for $351. The trick is to call a Sam's and find out which store has the lowest stock, when they get down to one or two they knock a ton off the price.
I didn't need one this size nor had the room so I purchased it and traded if for the one my dad had which fit perfect.. it's a higher end Stack on (fire rated) , made the trade and the old man gave me $100. We ended up picking the new one up , delivering it too his house and then I took the old one to mine, it wasn't too bad. Only took use a couple of hours. We did take the doors off both of them though.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:51 PM   #37
hihosilver

$350 for that safe is a steal. Good find.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:57 PM   #38
vsgonzo

i have it

I have it... I'll post pics of it when I get home lol.

it would have 13 weapons of mass destruction in there, but for them to be classified as WMDs that means I would have to cut my hands off and place them in there. (That was a joke! Laugh!)

anywhooo sorry for horrible humor. I working graveyard shift and have starbucks in the system.

Mike
Old April 5, 2009, 04:01 PM   #39
Bob Moore

Morgan Gun Safe

I have a morgan 4 digit combination gun safe. I want to change the combination after a divorce. Does anyone know I go about That?
Old April 5, 2009, 04:27 PM   #40
a1abdj

Quote:
I have a morgan 4 digit combination gun safe. I want to change the combination after a divorce. Does anyone know I go about That?
Call a safe tech, and if one is not available in your area, call a locksmith. Most mechanical and non mechanical locks are not designed to be user set. Although the process is not rocket science, there are many little things than can go wrong which can end up locking you out of your safe. If your safe is under warranty, changing your own combination will also void it.

If you need me to point you towards somebody in your area, I would be happy to do so.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:59 AM   #41
hihosilver

just make sure the door is open when you try. THe electronic safes are simple to change combo, but not sure if you can change a mech combo yourself.
Old April 11, 2009, 11:49 AM   #42
Ronbo1

safe electric locks

I have a Cannon safe bought new 25 years ago with a S & G combination lock, no problems ever with the mechanical lock, same humidy rod since new.

I would not buy a safe with any electronic lock though. I have heard of these often failing and then having to be drilled out by a lock smith to open.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old April 11, 2009, 07:23 PM   #43
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Man, we're just going to keep going on this ancient thread, aren't we...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 21, 2009, 07:58 PM   #44
ROCKETBMM

Sam's club gun safe

Electronic lock beeps but safe won't open? I have had same combo for six months and have not changed it since setting it up. It worked yesterday but it just beeps today?? Any help out their?
Old April 22, 2009, 05:09 PM   #45
a1abdj

You can try changing the battery, and shaking the handle after entering your code.

If neither of those works, you can make a warranty claim with the manufacturer to have a safe tech come out and open it.
Old April 23, 2009, 06:23 PM   #46
c_and_h2000

ROCKETBMM - Beeps but won't open

If you're talking about a Winchester - I JUST bought mine three days ago, and mine is doing the same thing. I have been on the phone with the manufaturer in Fort Worth (817) 561-9095. I am talking with a man named Josh. It was very frustrating moving that thing into position and then it not opening. They said to remove the GSP sticker on the face, unscrew the screw, and stick my finger in the battery door to pop out the control pad. There's a ribbon of copper lines going to a white connector. Somebody from the factory just jammed it on there, screwing up the pins. They are FEdExing me a new pad.

Tried to align the pins myself in the meantime, and now it's intermittently opening. Seeing your remark about it going bad in six months is not very reassuring. When I finally got it open, the upholstery is already coming off, and buckled from them pushing the shelving parts together.

HERE'S THE THING, THOUGH: They are not only immediately taking care of me, but have called back twice so far to follow up. I'm thinking of taking it back to Costco, but Josh is more than profesional, and simply wants to know how he can keep MY business.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Any advice?

QUESTION: Does everyone else's handle "free-turn?" Mine slips when it doesn't open. Is that common?