The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Dearhunter61

.22 Ammo...

Where's it all gone? Why is everyone out? I guess I didn't realize it before because I have quite a bit of it and don't shoot it all that often.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hoarders stockpiling, mostly. Guys find out when ammo shipments will arrive and buy all they can afford. At many stores, it goes directly from the pallet to a buyer without ever being stocked on the shelves.

It's not just .22 rimfire. It's all across the spectrum of self-defense and para-military cartridges. Been going on for several months, now.
Old May 25, 2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Elmer

Supply is starting to catch up. Don't stress out and buy from the scalpers, that just keeps feeding the monster.
Old May 25, 2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Dearhunter61

Never was stressed out...it does kind of rankle me how the gun industry is taking advantage of the tragedies to make big profits. I think Obama has been their best friend.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't blame the gun industry. Personally, I think that the panic was overwrought, and the hoarder-caused shortages scared the retailers as well.

I told my local FFL guy to get it while he could. He still has to pay the rent and utilities after the panic ends and sales then go into the doldrums.

Overall? It's just Economics 101 in action.

Anybody who thinks finding ammo is difficult oughta try for US junk silver or US gold coins and small bars.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
B.L.E.

I have every reason to believe that this ammo shortage is going to turn into an ammo glut when the panic ends. The hoarders are eventually going to have to pay their mortgages or make payments on their maxed out credit cards.
People will see ammo on the shelves again and stop buying from scalpers and then the scalpers will quit buying up all the ammo and the shelves will be even more full of ammo and the effect will snowball as everyone who is stocked up with ammo quits buying and even try to liquidate their stash.

Some shooting ranges have a normal amount of .22 ammo on hand but it is for range use only.
Old May 26, 2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Some time ago, we started a Where Is Everything? thread for just such discussions.