The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1
gunluver

Colt help?

My holy grail of .22 revolvers has been the Colt Diamondback .22 ever since the first time I've held one. I've never come along the right deal or model and most on gunbroker are extremely expensive or I'm afraid to take a chance on it.

So a local gunshop just got 2 new pieces in off of an estate sale. 2 Colt Diamonbacks, both blue, both 4", one is a .38, and the other is.....yep a .22.
Apparently they came from the same estate (person) and were both bought new by that person, shot once, and put in the safe. Widow cannot find the original boxes. I can believe the "shot once" or at least very little. I would but the bluing at 99%, and only the slightest hint of a turn line on the cylinders.

They want $1400 a piece for them. I'm thinking that's a little high without original boxes, but on the other hand......there they are, only 15 minutes from my house and looking all shiny and perfect.

What say the experts? I'm really only thinking about the .22
Old March 21, 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Bob Wright

Do you want it $1400 worth?

As for me, I'd opt for a 6" barrel in a .22 L.R. You wanting a shooter, or a wall hanger?

For me, $1400 is too steep for a Diamondback.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Bob Wright
Old March 21, 2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's definitely high, but it's in line with what people are wanting for the few .22s that are at gunbroker and auction arms.

You can try seeing if he will take less, but the Diamondback is one of those guns that everyone seems to thing is make out of angel farts and unobtanium so they are priced accordingly...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4
gunluver

Angel farts and unobtanium??

LOL, that's funny!!

I should go with my original gut feeling....too high
Maybe I'll try to talk him down

Bob, I get what you're saying about the 6" better for shooting. I just don't like them, 3" and 4" barrels just handle and balance better for me
Old March 21, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Venom1956

I'd offer 2k for both or something like that. 2k is alot more then 1400 and they probably got them pretty cheap. Psychologically 2k for both seems better to him, then trying to get him down to 1000 for just the .22 If you got 1400 you can stretch 2000... its a life purchase...
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; March 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Grant D

This one is at Collectors Firearms in Houston,and they are proud of their weapons.
They know what they're worth, and price them accordingly.

Check out their web site they have thousands of weapons.

$1,250.00Colt Diamondback .38 Special (C8936)
Colt Diamondback .38 Special caliber revolver. 4" blue model in near excellent condition with very light wear.

I agree with Venom1956...offer two grand for the pair.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Winchester_73

I wouldn't pay $1400 but what do they bring in that condition without a box? I'd say they do sell at least online for $1400 +/-. Just like the Python, they bring that money because they are out of production. I have one, a OMM, and several K-22s and between the ergonomics IE feel and sights, the diamondback is the caboose of the group. If you want it for shooting, IMO there are better guns, but if you want it as a collectible, they are very in demand and sought after by collectors. When you find diamondbacks in 22, most will be 4in blue, so don't pay for it thinking its something unusual. I see much less of the 6in versions, snubs are rare, as are factory nickel guns, when talking diamondback 22s. As others have said, making an offer on the pair is a smart move, but make sure you get the old ladys phone # so you can call back every so often to see if she finds the boxes at a later time. The box adds much to the package, as you probably know.

* edit - Diamondbacks are very collectible, but I don't like them near as much for shooting. I did not mean to say Diamondbacks are last in collectibility, they are at the top.

Last edited by Winchester_73; March 22, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:29 PM   #8
gunluver

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went and talked with the guy, tried to offer lower. He won't budge. I'm not gonna pay that, so he gets to keep the pair for the next guy.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

In the current environment, not really surprising...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:36 PM   #10
oldgunsmith

Overpriced for me, but so is everything else out there. Makes me wonder how many are actually selling for what everyone is asking.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:07 PM   #11
KyJim

I was fortunate enough to get my Diamondbacks (.38 and .22) before the crazy insane prices. Prices on Pythons had started to get high and I decided to get the Diamondbacks because Colt made fewer of them than they did Pythons. They are good guns but not worth the price they seem to be fetching these days.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:15 PM   #12
22-rimfire

A Mint 4" DB 22 in the original box is probably worth their price. I wouldn't pay $1400 for a 99% one with no box.

The Blue 4" Diamondback is the most common of all the Diamondback variations in both 22 and 38spl. Some are pretty special.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Venom1956

Go there with 2k in twenties. seems like they they huge pile of twenties looks awesome. and put them all down one the counter. Cash is king. I'll give him pause. That's all you can do. but 2k promised is a lot less persuasive then a pile of cash sitting on your counter. Also its cheaper for small shops to take cash then run a card.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug