The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 7, 2013, 11:48 PM   #126
TunnelRat

I think we've gone as far as we can at this point.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 8, 2013, 12:08 AM   #127
Gaerek

Why does every one hate the XD grip safety

I don't know about any of you, but I know I don't need a mechanical device to prevent me from shooting myself. If others aren't so sure, then I suppose an XD is what you need.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch, especially when holstering. Seems simple to me. If you shoot yourself on "accident" it's not the guns fault, it's your fault.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:44 AM   #128
Tactical Jackalope

Alright, you win. Knives stab and cut people on their own too.
Old March 8, 2013, 08:40 AM   #129
jp_over

Quote:
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch, especially when holstering.
I gotta admit, this made my day.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #130
dayman

I don't understand why you can't like 2 things.
There can be (and are) way more than 2 good gun designs. Also, 2 people can disagree without either of them necessarily being wrong. The world is rarely a binary place.

Does anybody actually think they're going to convince anyone of anything by getting their panties in a twist on an internet forum?
Old March 8, 2013, 11:09 AM   #131
RC20

While I don't own one, I think its an excellent idea (and have shot the 1911s with it and felt the same way)

Too bad that its a trigger interlock and not a real safety like S&W offers on the MP series
Old March 8, 2013, 12:31 PM   #132
Smooth2o

Well, first of all, as you grip (not gripe) the gun to withdraw from the holster, the safety is off anyway. Same for putting it back. So, what's the use?
Old March 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #133
TunnelRat

Quote:
Well, first of all, as you grip (not gripe) the gun to withdraw from the holster, the safety is off anyway. Same for putting it back. So, what's the use?
Holster the pistol without pressing on the grip safety. I ride a firearm into the holster with my thumb on the back of the slide anyway because I'm used to hammer fired weapons.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 8, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:47 AM   #134
Nathan

^^^^^^^^^

+1...that is the right way to holster all autos.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:44 PM   #135
drail

Well, it certainly looks like an afterthought to me personally.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:23 PM   #136
Dashunde

I could do without it, but its not the real reason I dont buy XD's.

I dont buy XD's because of that annoying LCI sitting right there on top of the slide staring back at me bright red. Its distracting and always catches my eye.
It was a nasty surprise for my shooting buddy because its hard to notice it at the store... only after you load it up for the first time, because of course, you cant chamber a round at the store... they frown on that.

He tried to sell it to me our first time out because of that... no thanks!
Old March 10, 2013, 06:49 PM   #137
TunnelRat

Quote:
I dont buy XD's because of that annoying LCI sitting right there on top of the slide staring back at me bright red.
Umm, XDs don't have that. I think you're thinking of the Ruger SR series of pistols.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #138
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Umm, XDs don't have that.
Since when?

Old March 10, 2013, 07:41 PM   #139

You never see the LCI while sighting and it's on both the XD and the XDm, but as plainly seen, it isn't bright red. I believe that was the point TunnelRat was making.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:17 PM   #140
Dashunde

I woulda swore it was red, but your right the LCI isnt red, I'm thinking of the optic front sight.
Either way, neither of us liked it sticking up there.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:03 AM   #141
rayway

I like the Inherent Accuracy alot in the Springfield poly pistols but I don't like the web of my hand getting snapped underneath the grip safety it happened to me while I was checkin out one in a gunstore it felt unplesant although a very good line of accurate striker fired target pistols.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:43 AM   #142
TunnelRat

Quote:
Since when?
Since it's not red. It is there, but it's not red. While I don't personally feel a need for a LCI, I've never found on any pistol that has one, XD, SR, etc., that has actually impeded my shooting. I spend my time looking at the target.
Old March 13, 2013, 01:47 AM   #143
predecessor

I haven't read a single compelling reason why XD owners actually like having the grip safety.

I own 1911's and the grip safety doesn't bother me, nor keep me from shooting the pistol well, or from thoroughly enjoying my ownership of 1911's either.

But if I'm being intellectually honest, there is no need for the grip safety. We don't ride horses anymore, (and those of us who do prefer an SAA while riding anyway).

A grip safety is superfluous to the design of a firearm. I can't help but wonder why the XD lineup is the only modern handgun to incorporate a grip safety? Either the Croatians are smarter designers than everyone else, or vice versa.
Old March 13, 2013, 02:16 AM   #144
Gaerek

There's a lot of superfluous design on XD's. They have an LCI and a striker indicator. I understand why you'd have an LCI (without one, you lose certain markets, and, if you trust it, you can use it to tell if your chamber is loaded both visually and through touch) but the striker indicator is completely superfluous. There's no need to know the condition of the striker if you have an LCI (if LCI is up, the striker must be cocked. If there's no round in the chamber, it doesn't really matter if the striker is cocked or not. Really, it's just a useless "safety feature" that they can point to in a magazine ad to sell guns...kinda like the grip safety.

Though, as we know, some people need that extra mechanical help so they don't shoot themselves...though I'd question whether these people should have guns in the first place.

As has been mentioned, none of these features make the gun shoot better, and none really increase the safety beyond people who like to have their finger on the trigger when they holster. They all do, however, increase the complexity of the gun, even if it is marginally. I have nothing against XD's, they're fine guns, but I have to wonder why they made some of the decisions they made.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:38 AM   #145
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have nothing against XD's, they're fine guns, but I have to wonder why they made some of the decisions they made.
And here I thought 57k was the one dragging this thread along. We get it, you don't like XDs.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:52 AM   #146
Gaerek

Let me point the obvious out to you.

Quote:
I have nothing against XD's, they're fine guns, but I have to wonder why they made some of the decisions they made.
I truly have nothing against XD's. I recommend them quite often to people who just don't like other guns. Just because there are some design flaws (there are design flaws with every gun out there), and that I don't shoot them for several reasons doesn't mean I don't like them.

I have a problem with superfluous devices masquerading as additional safety. It adds complexity without really adding to function. It also gives a new uses a false sense of security. But XD's are great guns. Reliable, accurate, rugged, etc. Overall, they're one of the better designs to come out in the last 10 or 15 years.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:31 AM   #147
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have nothing against XD's, they're fine guns
Quote:
There's a lot of superfluous design on XD's
That makes sense .

What exactly is wrong with a LCI or a striker indicator?

Quote:
if LCI is up, the striker must be cocked
Unless you just had a misfire, hangfire, or a hard primer.

Quote:
Really, it's just a useless "safety feature" that they can point to in a magazine ad to sell guns...kinda like the grip safety.
Man I can see why you recommend them so much.

Quote:
they all do, however, increase the complexity of the gun, even if it is marginally.
They're passive devices. The LCI is a little tab that gets risen automatically. The striker indicator is just a little piece that fits behind the striker. What about either is going to cause a problem? If that's added complexity than so is the trigger safety. I get it, you like Glocks. Congrats. Not everything has to be a Glock.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:35 PM   #148
Dashunde

Quote:
What exactly is wrong with a LCI or a striker indicator?
They're all completely unnecessary if the 4 rules are followed.
They're also just plain ugly.

Quote:
Not everything has to be a Glock.
Nope. But I for one would have bought a XDm 5.25 45acp instead of my G21 if they would have kept it clean and simple - the LCI in particular.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:54 PM   #149
TunnelRat

Quote:
They're all completely unnecessary if the 4 rules are followed.
So are a lot of things. Included in those are manual safeties, DA trigger pulls, trigger safeties, the list goes on and on if the 4 rules are perfectly obeyed all the time. Yet pistols with those features exist. In part because sometimes people forget. You may dislike them cosmetically but that's a personal preference and doesn't make designs that include them inferior somehow. If people obeyed the 4 rules like robots we'd all have 2 lb triggers with no takeup.

Options exist out there. Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it, by all means don't buy it. There's bound to be something out there you will like. But I would hate to live in a world where every firearm was essentially the same thing with a slightly different grip.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 13, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:07 PM   #150
Dashunde

The rules overlap... if someone needs all of that stuff they probably shouldnt have it in the first place.

Quote:
If you don't like it, by all means don't buy it.
I dont, and I didnt - I thought I was fairly clear on that
Closed Thread