The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 31, 2011, 08:15 AM   #1
c.robertson

Lead Sources (Lead in Batteries)

Just a suggestion on lead source.
I have gottne ALL my lead from 2 reliable sources.
1) Gun Club back stop lead trap. Good lead, but lots of copper jackets, paper, cardboard, and plastic from target backers.
2) Purchase at the local recycler. Got some really good stuff there. Lead pipe, Monotype, Linotype, Wheel Weights, Sheet Lead, pure ingot lead, and some who-knows-what lead. Even about 50 pounds of Speer Bullet Swaging rods. All at market recycle prices.
While I did not buy it, there were several times they had rolls of pure lead that weighed over 100 lbs.

Final Note: If anyone plans on using battery lead, please have someone post when the gun auction will be held.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

You are up near KC, a bit far for me to drive for some of those 100 lb rolls. What price were they asking for that?
All good sources you mention.
As for the thread title "batteries", bad deal. Never use battery lead for casting. Lot of contaminants in it and not necessarily pure.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3
c.robertson

Battery lead, Yes, that is why the commit on auctions. When gun people die, there is usually one heck of an auction. Using battery lead can be fatal.

As you know lead prices vary, but generally recycle prices go about 45 cents a pound, has never been higher.
Range recycle lead is sold at 1/2 market price but only to club members who help in cleaning the collection trays. And that is no easy task.